Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Vector Motorsports Stage 2.5 cam kit installed! pics and video

Hey guys,

I've got a big 'ol smile on my face after the Stage 2.5 cam kit was installed from Vector Motorsports this week. Just picked up the car today. Got a little preview of what it sounded like last night though and I was pretty anxious to drive it! My mechanic Tommy at T&L automotive once again did it right and put in the new cam and all the hardware. The cam is a Comp cam 227/239 on 114 and it's moderately aggressive I'd say. It came with dual valve springs, hardened pushrods, and titanium retainers. All for less than $1k. It's a pretty detailed install taking a full 2 days with all the components that have to be removed, radiator, fluids flushed, put back in, etc. You can expect to pay for about a 16 hour install if not doing it yourself. The most time consuming part of the install is the valve springs. I got a nice little break on the price since I get all my work done there and did the sway bar install at the same time, so paid around $1100 altogether for the cam and sway bar install. I wasn't able to get a side by side comparison of the stock and new cam unfortunately.

The sound is awesome and truly sounds like an old muscle car with a big block. Now mind you, it already sounded pretty darn good (and loud) with the K&N intake, DT headers, SOLO hiflow cats and Magnaflow exhaust. So if you are just replacing the cam, it may not neccessarily sound the way mine does. The cam really didn't make mine too much louder at idle, but definitely on hard acceleration

RPMs fluctuate a couple of hundred idling. If you run the A/C, you'll notice it more. Got a good shake to the engine! Just in driving the car back, got all kinds of looks and thumbs up. At idle of course, it's most noticeable. People know you have something lurking under the hood. Good thing is that cruising, especially on the interstate the sound and ride quality is really no different than before. I took a video of it the car this morning so you can hear it at idle and a few revs. Open it up WOT, and hold on to your pants!! the increase in throttle response especially between about 3000 and 5000 rpms is an eye opener. Claims of 50 rwhp/rwtq gains? I believe it and maybe more. The 'ol butt dyno doesn't lie, but I'm getting it on the dyno and running the HP tuning program on it tomorrow morning which is supposed to be a lot cooler and drier than my last dyno run.

CEL light? yes, had a code 300 misfire but that is taken care of for now and we'll check it on the HP program. Make sure you bleed the fluids well, had to get the air out a couple of times in the power steering fluid, but is nearly back to normal now and the smoothness of the power steering will come back in time as any small amount of air works its way out. Since the line runs around the front through the condenser, there is more travel and more places for air to stay.

I've got a feeling the fiance won't like to ride in the car as much now with the rougher idle! but hey,that's ok, then I can play a little more often since I won't have to baby it when she's not riding with me!

Photos and video are attached. I don't know it Tommy is trying to tell me something with the photo of the cam with the BC headache powder was a headache to install or maybe it's just for scale!

If anyone can imbed the video, that would be great. The video does not do the car justice. You really have to be there. It shakes the house

Thanks Vector Motorsports, Comp Cams, and T&L Automotive!!

Attached Images

VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by topgun1; 12-17-2010 at 08:19 PM.
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Can't wait to see your #'s.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
69lt1bird

Drives: 1969 Pontiac Firebid
These specs are getting pretty popular.

13017 - 227 .614
13020 - 239 .624

114 + 4

I am guessing 457 rwhp 430 rwtq

Michigan Snowmobiler
1969 Firebird: 7.55@97.93 1/8 1.70 60 ft.[/COLOR] EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me
69lt1bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS View Post
Can't wait to see your #'s.
Well, looks like I'll have to wait longer for the dyno. Dyno shop had an issue with a guy's radiator hose exploding all over the place and got coolant on his computer. the software's not working right now and he may also have to get a new tower. so looks like I won't be off to the dyno in the morning :( It'll have to be a few weekends from now because I have something planned for the next two. I was really hoping for tomorrow since the temp will be down in the 80's with low humidity. Last dyno session it was up over 100 with high humidity. I'm definitely anxious to get it on the dyno and tuned up! I'll keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post
These specs are getting pretty popular.

13017 - 227 .614
13020 - 239 .624

114 + 4

I am guessing 457 rwhp 430 rwtq

yep, they seem to be. Mine is 227 .613 239 .623

that's a pretty good guess on the numbers. I was thinking somewhere b/w 450-460 rwhp and about the same on rwtq. But it'll have to wait
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
coptzr
Resistance is futile

Drives: Anything thats fast
I have the same cam package in mine. You will really need to get the tune in it or at least some idle parameters.Call Kirk at Vector, he is "the man".Mine idles around 850-900 now and wont stall when coming to a corner.Plus the idle sounds "snarly" at 900 rpm.Your idle seems quite low. I also have the K&N intake but with LT's from SLP and gmpp mufflers. Was gonna take it down in the next week or so for the full dyno treatment, BUT the Edelbrock E-Force is on the way!! I'll post everything when she's done.You will love this package, drive very stock and makes GREAT power over stock.ENJOY!!!
Edelbrock CAI
VMS stage 2.5 cam kit
SLP LT's, no cats
NPP muffler's w/x-pipe
Tuned at Vector Motorsports
606 RWHP and 567 RWT
Black 1LE 10 spokes.
Hotchkis drop springs.
coptzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
topgun1

Yep, definitely getting it tuned, it does idle low and has cut off a couple of times, mainly in reverse. I want to get it to idle a little higher and maybe a little smoother if I can.

thanks, I will for sure be enjoying it! can't wait to get it on the dyno and tuned
Old 07-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Grats! This is the cam I was planning to go with.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Nice job! Sounds sweet! Nothing like that good 'ol cam idle lope! Good post!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
curious on the numbers you hit with shortys on pushing that cam