Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
L99 Cam advice

It is about that time for tax returns.. first time home buyer this year, so I am getting a pretty good one to use towards home improvements.. with the rest going to the Camaro.

While part of me wants the VVT for low end performance, I cannot ignore the proven traffic record of a conversion. What supporting mods do you guys recommend to go with for a swap? or what did many of you wish you had done if you had any other drivetrain failures?

I will be do a melling high volume and probably a 3200 stall. Will be a mild cam... something such as a VVT2 or a conversion such as jannetty's 470 package. Might as well do the ported TB while I am in there. What else are you guys recommending? I know failure sometimes just cannot be avoided, but I want to build the most reliable foundation I can. If the return is good enough, would love to do gears and axles for the strip.

Any help from vendors is appreciated, but really looking for the input from the many of you who have been in my position already.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.

Last edited by brantley847; 02-02-2012 at 10:32 PM.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
brantley847
v It bites.

....great post, Brantley. I would love to know this as well.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I hope somebody answers this soon... I'm running low on.

I need a drink....brb....lol
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
siriusdish

Drives: 2010 Camaro L99
vvt 3 here BTW, VVT-3 Takes DOD delete Kit
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
siriusdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
You're overthinking it. Go with your gut.

If you make compromises now, you'll regret it later. What will make you happiest? Reliability? Then don't compromise that. Performance? Likewise.

Also, make your own decisions so that it's YOUR build and unique.

My friendly advice. Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
You're overthinking it. Go with your gut.

If you make compromises now, you'll regret it later. What will make you happiest? Reliability? Then don't compromise that. Performance? Likewise.

Also, make your own decisions so that it's YOUR build and unique.

My friendly advice. Padre
Sirius, been following your build very closely... very cool. I remember you stated the power scared you at first haha.. how do you feel after a bit of time has passed? I guess my concern is the VVT3 at idle, highway driving, cabin sound/drone? There is no one... NO ONE here in Orlando in our club that has done an LS3 cam, L99 Cam, conversion since the last meeting... nothing. I almost feel like a mule. I am sure there are a few out there who have done it, but I haven't been able to witness it.

Padre, thanks.. I have done my share of research, this website is a blessing more than anything.. but can almost be a curse if you are new to the modding game lol. You hear about guys throwing power into their rides and shredding their rear end or axle turning into pudding at the track.

The car is driven 3 or 4 times a week, so I have some leeway to go aggressive..but it will only be taken to a track or strip once or twice a year. I just don't have access here unless I go to Miami or Tampa. I want a bit of shake, but not overwhelming. I keep hearing guys rave about the benefits of low end power for a VVT. That is huge appeal for me.. I also don't question the VVT's reliability, but this is a car I would love to keep through generations in my family and it seems like when it comes to a better foundation to one day possibly go FI, than conversion is the answer. I just don't want that buyers remorse of spending thousands and not getting any low end power. The sound is great, but it isn't 4-5k great.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I know you've been planning this one for a while... like Padre said... just go with it.

Can't wait to see and hear the outcome...
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
siriusdish

U talk to the guy with the black L99 on here, vvt-3 as well? He knows his stuff! Was a good role in the buy.
vararam intake, Vmax TB,Vmax Intake,TSP VVT 3 Cam,TSP underdrive pulley,Yank 3600,TM Cooler,ARH 2", High Flow cats, X-pipe, GM Pro mufflers, RX Catch Can,160 stat, BMR Trailing,toe,Cradle insert, Diff. Bushings, End links, Spohn-LCA's (Touring)Wheel spacer's. 422 rwhp Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFNAhCL7Os
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I know you've been planning this one for a while... like Padre said... just go with it.

Can't wait to see and hear the outcome...
Yea, once it comes to fruition that the funding is there, you start to second guess yourself. Asking why the hell am I doing this, do I need it? Hell it is barely a DD that goes to one or two shows a month and has no track in the area... I remember the day I bought this car and told myself I wouldn't go past an exhaust install lol...

I am leaning towards the conversion only because we don't have many installers here with the experience of doing a VVT install.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusdish View Post
U talk to the guy with the black L99 on here, vvt-3 as well? He knows his stuff! Was a good role in the buy.
Not really.. I didn't take it very seriously, just kinda watched you guys and researched.. was going to do the install closer to Christmas, but after getting married, buying a house, her being a college student.. the return was about 3-4x what I expected so the time frame has bumped up lol...

modifying this car... it is a damn disease
Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
siriusdish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Not really.. I didn't take it very seriously, just kinda watched you guys and researched.. was going to do the install closer to Christmas, but after getting married, buying a house, her being a college student.. the return was about 3-4x what I expected so the time frame has bumped up lol...

modifying this car... it is a damn disease
lol, yeah
Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Looks like low-end power/torque is top of your list. So go with that as the "what will make me happy" X-factor. You've already got the headers and CAI, so the low-end power/torque ought to be good, and the VVT cam would take what you have and multiply it across the board.

In my experience, the 3200 TC was great for the track and not the street. While technically the torque is still there, the car becomes "loose" in the low end because it revs quickly to 3200. So it "feels" like your losing on the low-end, when you're really not, BUT... "feel" is an important, real factor for daily driving, which is another top factor for you.

I "cancelled out" the rev happy 3200 TC (which worked great for me at the strip, but I disliked for daily driving) by adding 3.45 gears (the whole pumpkin swapped from an M6). IOW, it helped the car bemuch more responsive on the street.

So, from what you're telling us, I would go with gears before a TC, IF the cam you choose allows it. 3.45's (easy swap from an M6) or 3.70/73's. Or maybe gears and a lower stall TC (Jannetty's 2600/2800?). Either way, gears would really help your low-end. The TC will help more at the track, but you're not out to set records, and a car you love driving around town is what will make you happy. In fact, you may try gears BEFORE you do the cam. I do think you'd like it.

Just some more thoughts. Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Looks like low-end power/torque is top of your list. So go with that as the "what will make me happy" X-factor. You've already got the headers and CAI, so the low-end power/torque ought to be good, and the VVT cam would take what you have and multiply it across the board.

In my experience, the 3200 TC was great for the track and not the street. While technically the torque is still there, the car becomes "loose" in the low end because it revs quickly to 3200. So it "feels" like your losing on the low-end, when you're really not, BUT... "feel" is an important, real factor for daily driving, which is another top factor for you.

I "cancelled out" the rev happy 3200 TC (which worked great for me at the strip, but I disliked for daily driving) by adding 3.45 gears (the whole pumpkin swapped from an M6). IOW, it helped the car bemuch more responsive on the street.

So, from what you're telling us, I would go with gears before a TC, IF the cam you choose allows it. 3.45's (easy swap from an M6) or 3.70/73's. Or maybe gears and a lower stall TC (Jannetty's 2600/2800?). Either way, gears would really help your low-end. The TC will help more at the track, but you're not out to set records, and a car you love driving around town is what will make you happy. In fact, you may try gears BEFORE you do the cam. I do think you'd like it.

Just some more thoughts. Padre
True, you are echoing what my tuner mentioned as well. I know a few guys felt the VVT3 was a bit rough without the stall.. that is why I have also not ruled out the thought of a VVT2 w/ dod delete and going to 3.73s.. that might be the best of both worlds and reality is a set of gears would offset the price of the TC.

All good info, thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Yea, once it comes to fruition that the funding is there, you start to second guess yourself. Asking why the hell am I doing this, do I need it? Hell it is barely a DD that goes to one or two shows a month and has no track in the area... I remember the day I bought this car and told myself I wouldn't go past an exhaust install lol...

I am leaning towards the conversion only because we don't have many installers here with the experience of doing a VVT install.
Being that it's not a daily driver gives you even more reason to do it... Way more fun when you do head out for a ride. Good luck with the decision...