Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #2703
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Just filled up with 93 and pulled the fuses in my '15 1LE and am praying for an improvement when I go back out in about 3 hours... Car can't even spin the tires in 1st gear I've been extremely disappointed coming from a cammed/geared/bolt-ons 4th gen, I knew it would obviously be slower but never thought it would be this much of a let down. The dealer did top off the tank when I bought the car so I'm hoping bad gas is the cause. I'll update if it improves or not.

*Update* pulled fuses earlier and went back out after 3 hours. Car still felt weak as hell.... Only other thing I can think of it that there was still some 87 in it that put it back to the low octane table. Ran it hard on the way home to hopefully clear that 87 out and just pulled the fuses again in my driveway. Will update when I put them back in... Really hoping it works. Heavy car or not over 400ft lbs should be plenty to break the tires loose from a low speed hit. Is that normal for these cars? Would really like some insight from others on how their car performs and accelerates. Car feels like it has nothing at low speeds, throttle response is unimpressive as well. It doesn't "hit" me when I slam the pedal. Would be pathetic if I end up wishing I kept my 4th gen...

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold

Last edited by Joseph1LE; 06-25-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #2704
Sam94

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1LE View Post
Just filled up with 93 and pulled the fuses in my '15 1LE and am praying for an improvement when I go back out in about 3 hours... Car can't even spin the tires in 1st gear I've been extremely disappointed coming from a cammed/geared/bolt-ons 4th gen, I knew it would obviously be slower but never thought it would be this much of a let down. The dealer did top off the tank when I bought the car so I'm hoping bad gas is the cause. I'll update if it improves or not.

*Update* pulled fuses earlier and went back out after 3 hours. Car still felt weak as hell.... Only other thing I can think of it that there was still some 87 in it that put it back to the low octane table. Ran it hard on the way home to hopefully clear that 87 out and just pulled the fuses again in my driveway. Will update when I put them back in... Really hoping it works. Heavy car or not over 400ft lbs should be plenty to break the tires loose from a low speed hit. Is that normal for these cars? Would really like some insight from others on how their car performs and accelerates. Car feels like it has nothing at low speeds, throttle response is unimpressive as well. It doesn't "hit" me when I slam the pedal. Would be pathetic if I end up wishing I kept my 4th gen...
How many miles do you have ? I remember when I first got mine I was saying the same thing that it won't break the tires and felt sluggish off the line. I know your saying your 2001 Camaro is way better off the line, I said the same thing about my 2000 Trans Am I had, light them up all the time lol. After 2k miles on my new camaro it has improved alot, not what I expected but it did improve. This damn drive by wire sucks ! Not like having a cable like in the LS1 (and queue all the VTC owners lol)
Old 06-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #2705
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Joseph1LE, keep putting the 93 in and pull the fuses overnight. Mine did not break loose until it had around 2000 miles, and boy! what a surprise it was!! I was doing a quick turn at a wide intersection and the wheels broke loose and the car rocketed as it turned and I was sooooooooo embarrassed and happy at the same time.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #2706
Joseph1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam94 View Post
How many miles do you have ? I remember when I first got mine I was saying the same thing that it won't break the tires and felt sluggish off the line. I know your saying your 2001 Camaro is way better off the line, I said the same thing about my 2000 Trans Am I had, light them up all the time lol. After 2k miles on my new camaro it has improved alot, not what I expected but it did improve. This damn drive by wire sucks ! Not like having a cable like in the LS1 (and queue all the VTC owners lol)
Perhaps I should look into that throttle controller that people seem to love so much on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
Joseph1LE, keep putting the 93 in and pull the fuses overnight. Mine did not break loose until it had around 2000 miles, and boy! what a surprise it was!! I was doing a quick turn at a wide intersection and the wheels broke loose and the car rocketed as it turned and I was sooooooooo embarrassed and happy at the same time.
I'm hoping you guys are right and that mine wakes up after another 1500 miles. Currently has around 500 on it now.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
Old 06-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #2707
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:

You are down in hot hot Florida with the Goodyear tires. You would have to get RPM's up to about 2000 RPM and dump the clutch in that heat to break them loose. Also you have to remember on the LS3/L99 engines once intake temps (meaning air going over the MAF) reach 85 degrees the motors start pulling timing fast. This is done to prevent detonation and blowing a piston.

The LT1 in the 6th gen GM said they have so much cooling that they are not pulling timing on that motor. They interviewed Al and he said the car is just amazing what they did with engine cooling and that motor.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #2708
Joseph1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
You are down in hot hot Florida with the Goodyear tires. You would have to get RPM's up to about 2000 RPM and dump the clutch in that heat to break them loose. Also you have to remember on the LS3/L99 engines once intake temps (meaning air going over the MAF) reach 85 degrees the motors start pulling timing fast. This is done to prevent detonation and blowing a piston.

The LT1 in the 6th gen GM said they have so much cooling that they are not pulling timing on that motor. They interviewed Al and he said the car is just amazing what they did with engine cooling and that motor.
So I guess since my LS1 doesn't have all those nannys for the engine that it just rips no matter what? Would I need a tune to fully eliminate this problem? Put the fuses back in this morning and still no difference... Its in the 90s here in Miami. I've never heard of engines pulling timing to this extent just because its hot outside. I mean this thing is SLOW. IF that is the case, then I wish I had known before buying the car that I'm not allowed to have any fun with it if the air temp is above 85 degrees...

BTW I already tried dumping the clutch at not 2k but 3k rpm and all I got was a little chirp. It really just doesn't seem right. And I highly doubt these eagle F1 are THAT sticky, but someone please correct me if they are.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
Old 06-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #2709
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
So I guess since my LS1 doesn't have all those nannys for the engine that it just rips no matter what? Would I need a tune to fully eliminate this problem? Put the fuses back in this morning and still no difference... Its in the 90s here in Miami. I've never heard of engines pulling timing to this extent just because its hot outside. I mean this thing is SLOW. IF that is the case, then I wish I had known before buying the car that I'm not allowed to have any fun with it if the air temp is above 85 degrees...

BTW I already tried dumping the clutch at not 2k but 3k rpm and all I got was a little chirp. It really just doesn't seem right. And I highly doubt these eagle F1 are THAT sticky, but someone please correct me if they are.
How many miles do you have on your car. LS3's do not wake up until about 5K to 7K miles. They are very tight engines running a synthetic oil so it takes a while to loosen up.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #2710
Joseph1LE

Quote:
How many miles do you have on your car. LS3's do not wake up until about 5K to 7K miles. They are very tight engines running a synthetic oil so it takes a while to loosen up.
Well mine just cracked 500 today... Only had it for 5 days lol. I guess I got a lot of driving to get out of the way to hopefully have this thing making the power that it should. As least it handles amazing so it's fun in that aspect.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
Old 06-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #2711
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
Well mine just cracked 500 today... Only had it for 5 days lol. I guess I got a lot of driving to get out of the way to hopefully have this thing making the power that it should. As least it handles amazing so it's fun in that aspect.
Ok at no more than 1K miles change the oil. Try to go with a full synthetic. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 myself. Also recommend you look into a dirty side catch can. I like the Elite Can. And a CAI intake would help some also. But the big thing holding the car back right now is just it is tight.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #2712
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Does the fuse pull really work?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #2713
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Does the fuse pull really work?
yes, but supercharging works better.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #2714
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #2715
Joseph1LE

Quote:
Ok at no more than 1K miles change the oil. Try to go with a full synthetic. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 myself. Also recommend you look into a dirty side catch can. I like the Elite Can. And a CAI intake would help some also. But the big thing holding the car back right now is just it is tight.
Took a mini road trip yesterday and I'm up to around 850 miles now. Haven't tried the fuse pull again, but I'm gona change the oil today since I have the spare time to do so and then probably pull the fuses again after filling up my tank.

*Edit*- Didn't get to change my oil yesterday thanks to south Floridas wonderful summer weather. But I did fill my tank and do the fuse pull and once again, no difference.... Theres no way it's NOT in the high octane table by this point (if it was ever even in the low octane table). So I guess I better just hope that it wakes up after a couple thousand more miles. Still pretty disappointed... But too late to turn back now.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold

Last edited by Joseph1LE; 06-29-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #2716
Msingh
Account Suspended

Drives: 12 Black Camaro LS M6
omg!! I did this yesterday and it worked wonders!! suda done this 2k miles ago. I no the dealer put 87.. and then I have been putting 93 for the last 2k miles. I can def. tell the difference. car dose not feel sluggish anymore.. has that kick back. thanks!
Msingh is offline   Reply With Quote