Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner1960 View Post
No problem.... I'm sure you'll love both the items you ordered.

10th grade in 1960... I suddenly feel a tad younger!

Where did you order your catch can? Thanks again, Michael
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
Redliner1960

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS White w/Orange Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
Where did you order your catch can? Thanks again, Michael
I bought my CAI, MRT V2 and RX Catch can all at once from Apex.

CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catchcan, Pro Art Vinyl Front and Rear, MRT V-2 Axleback Exhausts,Oracle lighting and American Racing Torque Thurst Wheels
Team LLT - Proud Member of NEOCC
Redliner1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
rangomr

Quote:
I bought my CAI, MRT V2 and RX Catch can all at once from Apex.
That's what I probably should have done but had never heard of a catch can before and really could not explain it to my buddy. Ive got 5,500 miles on my car now so if it's really needed then I will go with one. From looks and checking it looks like the best style is the Elite model ELI 1000??
Anyone else got one?? Michael in Virginia
Old 11-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
That's what I probably should have done but had never heard of a catch can before and really could not explain it to my buddy. Ive got 5,500 miles on my car now so if it's really needed then I will go with one. From looks and checking it looks like the best style is the Elite model ELI 1000??
Anyone else got one?? Michael in Virginia

Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or “blow-by” the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. The PCV system vents these gases along with oil mist from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is, over time the excess oil vapor collects along the inside of the intake tract and forms a “gunk”. This can lead to a variety of issues including carbon build up, retarded timing, detonation, and power loss.

A properly designed catch can will condense and collect the oil vapor before it has a chance to reach the intake system. As the gases and oil vapor enter the can they typically pass through a screening mechanism that gives the oil vapor something to condense on. As the droplets form they drop harmlessly into the bottom of the reservoir so that they can later be drained. The other gases are allowed to pass through so that they can be burned of as intended. These devices are often referred to as “catch cans”, though that term is truly more accurate when describing a fluid overflow tank designed to just capture overflowing fluids.

When it comes to selecting a catch can you will get what you pay for. Cheap catch cans (less than $100 on eBay) are plentiful but they are often little more than an empty can with an entry and outlet port. These will capture a small amount of oil but the vast majority passes straight through. Be sure that the can is designed with an internal baffling system to pull the oil vapor out of suspension. RX Performance and Elite Engineering are both great options for Camaro owners. I personally prefer the RX product just because of some of the options that are available.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I see a few now and then posting their MRT V2's have drone... makes you wonder why that might be. Mine is still basically stock I have a CAI Cold air intake and the MRT V2 axlebacks and that's it that would affect sound. To bad we aren't closer to compare.
Now currently heading home from autocross and the whole cabin of the car is just a constant drone is the only way to describe it a buddy at autocross also commented that he thought the car sounds louder than it used to? Idk I don't mind it at all it was just alot louder and has alot more drone than all the reviews and videos I watched before we bought

And we currently are running a totally stock intake with factory filter also
Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Now currently heading home from autocross and the whole cabin of the car is just a constant drone is the only way to describe it a buddy at autocross also commented that he thought the car sounds louder than it used to? Idk I don't mind it at all it was just alot louder and has alot more drone than all the reviews and videos I watched before we bought

Look at a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe (part#: MGF11386). Our customers that have had drone issues with the MRT v2 have been able to kill it that way. It has become such a popular combination that we just created an automatic package deal when you add both to your shopping cart on our website.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
rangomr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or “blow-by” the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. The PCV system vents these gases along with oil mist from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is, over time the excess oil vapor collects along the inside of the intake tract and forms a “gunk”. This can lead to a variety of issues including carbon build up, retarded timing, detonation, and power loss.

A properly designed catch can will condense and collect the oil vapor before it has a chance to reach the intake system. As the gases and oil vapor enter the can they typically pass through a screening mechanism that gives the oil vapor something to condense on. As the droplets form they drop harmlessly into the bottom of the reservoir so that they can later be drained. The other gases are allowed to pass through so that they can be burned of as intended. These devices are often referred to as “catch cans”, though that term is truly more accurate when describing a fluid overflow tank designed to just capture overflowing fluids.

When it comes to selecting a catch can you will get what you pay for. Cheap catch cans (less than $100 on eBay) are plentiful but they are often little more than an empty can with an entry and outlet port. These will capture a small amount of oil but the vast majority passes straight through. Be sure that the can is designed with an internal baffling system to pull the oil vapor out of suspension. RX Performance and Elite Engineering are both great options for Camaro owners. I personally prefer the RX product just because of some of the options that are available.
I only see the Elite catch can for the Camaro. I plan to put this car in Car Shows if I can get every thing done under the hood this fall so ONLY the best for this car. Perhaps we can add this in the morning, Monday Michael
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #22
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I only see the Elite catch can for the Camaro. I plan to put this car in Car Shows if I can get every thing done under the hood this fall so ONLY the best for this car. Perhaps we can add this in the morning, Monday Michael
It is there. I'll PM a link to you since the forum rules don't allow me to post one in a tech thread. If you do car shows the RX catch can is an even better idea because you can get it painted in factory colors.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
rangomr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post

Thank You for the information. For now since Ive not even got the items yet I will just keep this in the back of my head. I'm sure once I get my new system the volumn of my radio might be less or I can just turn it up. I'm sure each car is not the same. Michael in Virginia
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
rangomr

After the questions I put up on Sunday aabout these two units, here they sit in my living room on Wed. 4PM, ordered and delivered, thats FAST and they both look great. Thanks Chase for the PRICE and GREAT SERVICE. Michael in Virginia
Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
After the questions I put up on Sunday aabout these two units, here they sit in my living room on Wed. 4PM, ordered and delivered, thats FAST and they both look great. Thanks Chase for the PRICE and GREAT SERVICE. Michael in Virginia
No problem. Thank you for your order.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
rangomr

Got it all installed today. I found out the hard way that black power will scratch very easily if you are not careful and after you repaint it, you in up with some paint on the window and it's not kool using a razor on the plastic window getting the extra paint. Don't do what I did. Getting the muffers had to take car down to a shop. Finally after over two hours he got them on. A little loud but it sounds great. Michael in Virginia
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #27
DLevan22

Drives: 2011 LLT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Between the v1 and v2, I prefer the v2. It has a deeper tone. Here is a video we did of the v2 a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully we will get one of the v1 soon.

I will be ordering the v2 next week if all goes as planned. Is the car in this video stock except for MRT v2? Thanks.
DLevan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
I see a few now and then posting their MRT V2's have drone... makes you wonder why that might be. Mine is still basically stock I have a CAI Cold air intake and the MRT V2 axlebacks and that's it that would affect sound. To bad we aren't closer to compare.
sorry for the late reply...

The main reason is everyone is different... exhaust sound is a very personal thing... what sounds great to me may sound like crap to you... that being said, tolerance/sensitivity to drone is also a very personal thing, with everyone having different levels of what is acceptable... Some folks are very sensitive to it, while others actually like it... Two people can ride in the same car and have completely different opinions of how much drone there was or wasn't...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote