Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Renewing Supercharger Discussion

I’m renewing an old discussion on which supercharger has an edge on the other. The two chargers I’m leaning towards are the Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger Kit retail 6,950 or the Edelbrock E-Force Street Legal Supercharger Kit retail $6,796. I'm assuming these are both rooster style SC. I’m not interested in Turbos.

I’m looking for open discussion from those who have experience with either of the two or shops who install them. Below are what I believe to be facts:
1. Price is not a factor as both are in the same price range.
2. Looks aren’t an issue, I drive with the hood closed ; )
3. Both are direct bolt-in and come with all needed hardware.
4. Both street legal in 50 states, including mine.

What I need help with is?
1. Which one gives better performance i.e. psi and boost?
2. Which has the best SC sound or whine? I know but this part is important for me it’s music to my ears.
3. Which has been more robust, reliable and with less mechanical issues?
4. Does the Magnuson bolt directly to the stock air intake or in my case Cold Air Inductions.

The reason I chose these two are the ease of installation, less intrusion into the stock parts and minimal special tools required. I have a couple of months off so I plan on making good use of it. I’m in south Tucson, AZ and don’t know of any experienced shops that I trust to install the charger and of course the $1k install fee. If there’s a Camaro5 member who has experience with these installs and lives near Sahuarita I could use the help, send be a message. Thanks for the feedback!

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors

Last edited by Missile Man; 08-08-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
That_Guy

Drives: n/a
If you're looking for a supercharger that is easy to install I would go with the slp tvs 2300. Very easy, one man job. It's better than the magnuson in my opinion, since it uses one pulley instead of three, no rear belt to worry about, better belt wrap up front, and a much better serpentine belt routing/tensioner setup
That_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Missile Man

SC Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
If you're looking for a supercharger that is easy to install I would go with the slp tvs 2300. Very easy, one man job. It's better than the magnuson in my opinion, since it uses one pulley instead of three, no rear belt to worry about, better belt wrap up front, and a much better serpentine belt routing/tensioner setup
Definitely sparked my interest. Will have to investigate further. Thanks for the info.

Two draw backs:
DOD plate replacement possible, need to pull intakes to find out.
Purchase GM Heater Hose Part Number: 22962570

Mods:
* CAI Intake

Last edited by Missile Man; 08-08-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
E force has been flawless for 3 years! get the Stage 3 It lets you order with out injectors and bigger pulley! I found out the hardway!!!! this and other kits come with 52 - 56lbs... A cam, headers, intake or any other mod and your be full duty cycle.. they are all great kits but don't invest in a kit with 5X# something injectors only to find out your need bigger ones... I know your saying I only plan on doing the SC... But the HP gains and possibly getting beat by a stang will quickly change your mind!

I'm not sure on other brands but the eforce comes with a tuner.. so that may be some of there price its a good tool to have and will get you to a shop til you can tune correctly.. but take it to a real shop with a dyno to squeeze every bit out of it.

I ran 3 years with stock exhaust and NO CAI. I did 501 to the wheels with 72 degrees outside temp and low IATs..

I saw a 75 hp loss with added timing on 95 degree days, during the winter months the car is a beast! I recently put on Headers and a CAI it basically picked up the loss HP on cold days, it Dynoed 499 RWHP, 95 in the shop and 140 IATs.

I just did heads and Cam and picked up another 100 RWHP so now I'm at 599 that was with 95 temps and 140 IAT.. and low boost. My max boost is 8lb right now most guys are using 12Lbs or higher.. I think I'm pretty efficient if consider the low boost.

So remember heat is a problem the front fascia has to come off you might as well put a better intercooler heat exchanger, I would make sure you get 85lb injectors as well maybe bigger if you do E85, the AFCO dual pass heat exchanger, and maybe larger reservoir with pump to go in the trunk. Would make a nice upgrade! I maybe old fashion but heat is a killer so I think it would run better and longer if the temps were kept 30 to 40 degrees cooler!

I think the Kenne bell may have the best heat exchanger from looking at picks.. the eforce one is small similiar to size of the ZL1 but its all aluminum unlike the cheappy in the ZL1 with plastic ends..

Good luck keep us posted

http://thmotorsports.com/i-1758249.a...TUUaArwB8P8HAQ

$5300.00 no tax no ship..

jeggs and summit will match and beat price!
Attached Images

Last edited by EDFHOBBIES; 08-08-2014 at 12:44 PM.
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
Missile Man

Do you know if the tuner for the E Force allows AFM to be tuned off, does it support transmission tune?
Unfortunately I live in AZ where +100 degrees is the norm in summer.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
Old 08-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile Man View Post
Do you know if the tuner for the E Force allows AFM to be tuned off, does it support transmission tune?
Unfortunately I live in AZ where +100 degrees is the norm in summer.
its the SCT tuner maybe you can look up specs..

good get the eforce for 5300 get injectors and dual pass heatexchanger should gt it all for 1300 more where you will be on a kit with injectors
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Apples to Apples - Edelbrock will have a small edge in low end grunt over the Maggie (or any other similar supercharger) and the Maggie will have a small edge at the top end. Torque on the Edelbrock comes in strong and early. I was over 400 FT-LBS anywhere over 2000 RPM. Hard to beat that.

Edelbrock makes next to zero sound. You might notice a little whine when you get on it but it is very quiet and stealthy. Sorry about that but it works for me.

My Edelbrock has had OEM reliability for the last 3 years with the isolated exception of needing to retorque some of the top cover screws once. Not a big deal.

Full Edelbrock kit comes with a replacement air box cover and a reuseable filter. Aftermarket CAI would need to be modified to fit or just run the supplied parts.

Would I buy one again? - Yes.

Be sure to get a 3rd party tune! SCT Hand held tuner is provided by Edelbrock. I got my kit from Janetty Racing and they provided an Email tune after I sent them a few log files and it runs great. No extra cost.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
TheMeat

Drives: 1973 Camaro
TVS or E-Force...I'd go TVS. But I am partial to Whipple, which I would choose over both.

AGP is right up the road in Phoenix...another option if you've considered turbos.

NicD is highly recommended as a tuner and he is also in Phoenix.

The install should be fairly straight forward regardless of what kit you get.

<----Tucson.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
Missile Man

From what I gather the Maggie is at full boost at 2k RPM, Whipple 4k and Vortex at around redline. Since I have the L99 I assume the Maggie would be the better fit for the Low compression L99. I can't seem to find the max boost at X RPM for the E Force.

The boost delay of turbos is an issue for me.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
As you can see in my sig I have the E-Force. Mine has been on for 4 years and 28K miles with no problems with the S/C. I used Edelbrock's tune for about 2 weeks and then got a dyno tune. With Kooks LT headers and Hi-Flow cats it was running a little lean at 546/rwhp and 522/rwtq. I then installed a ZL fuel pump, 72# injectors and Jannetty fuel rail upgrade kit. Horsepower didn't go up, but it isn't running out of fuel now.
With the stock pulley it's running 6-8 lbs of boost. It doesn't whine, but I don't want it too. Roto-Fab makes a CAI for the E-Force.

2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
Missile Man

Looks good! Thanks for the info. Did you install yourself?

Mods:
* CAI Intake
Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Come up here, drive a stock car with turbos, then drive a stock car with a Maggie. If you still want the Maggie I would be amazed.

Kevin@AGP has a TVS2300, and a 2.9L whipple on the shelf from people trading them in for turbos. I'm sure he would give you a good deal on them. Then again most people go in to buy those, get a ride in a turbo car and decide to go with turbos.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile Man View Post
Looks good! Thanks for the info. Did you install yourself?
Yes, a buddy and I installed it in about 12 hours from start to finish.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
Missile Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Come up here, drive a stock car with turbos, then drive a stock car with a Maggie. If you still want the Maggie I would be amazed.

Kevin@AGP has a TVS2300, and a 2.9L whipple on the shelf from people trading them in for turbos. I'm sure he would give you a good deal on them. Then again most people go in to buy those, get a ride in a turbo car and decide to go with turbos.
You putting your money where your mouth is, you must be sold on turbos. Maybe there better engineered today. I haven't really looked into todays Turbos just remember how they were some time ago.

Need to run for a bit, we'll be back to read the feedback.

Mods:
* CAI Intake