Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #15
pistol_pete

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Anyone here NOT track their car?

I am in the market for my first Camaro and I have my heart set on a 1LE, but also taking into considerations that ill likely never track my car so wondering if its worth it.
pistol_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #16
schecter7

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol_pete View Post

I am in the market for my first Camaro and I have my heart set on a 1LE, but also taking into considerations that ill likely never track my car so wondering if its worth it.
First Camaro? Get the 1LE by all means
schecter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #17
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
If you look at Lighting Lap times...there's about 8 seconds worth of reasons to get a 1LE!

In 2009 LL, the SS ran 3.09.5
In 2013 LL. The SS1LE ran 3.01.5

Handling is sublime!!
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #18
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:

We plan to track ours, but life and finances prevent that now. It is my daily driver and this package is the only reason we made the move last year when we did to get a new car. If not, I would have kept the WS6. If you love driving, you can appreciate the 1LE package on the road everyday!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #19
RandyT

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Summit White
Was trying to see if the 1LE was worth it
I'm looking at a a ZL1 also but stretches the budget

Want to do some track days and love curves over straight line
Living in CO plenty if mountain roads
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

Got any nice canyon roads out your way? If you like corners, just the difference in feel could be worth it all by itself - even if you wouldn't drive a 1LE any faster than you would a regular SS.

Actually, it might be a good idea to take in an HPDE or two. It'll give you the opportunity to learn your car and what it (and you) can really do far better and in much less time than you could do by most other means. It really can be an investment in your driving education where the benefits don't have to stop when you drive out the track's gate at the end of the day.

The caveat is you might not be able to do just the one or two.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #21
oners2nv

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS RS 1LE NPP
without a doubt. 1le is also a head turner
oners2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #22
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Totally worth it. The package transforms the car. I have never seen a measly $3,500 provide so much value to a vehicle. You go from spineless jellyfish to buffalo, rock solid!

I also disagree that the 1LE is slower in a straight line acceleration race. I think with all conditions/variables the same the 1LE would out perform the standard SS due to the more aggressive gearing in a real world race where it matters most (street not track).
Old 09-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #23
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
Totally worth it. The package transforms the car. I have never seen a measly $3,500 provide so much value to a vehicle. You go from spineless jellyfish to buffalo, rock solid!

I also disagree that the 1LE is slower in a straight line acceleration race. I think with all conditions/variables the same the 1LE would out perform the standard SS due to the more aggressive gearing in a real world race where it matters most (street not track).
I think the standard SS has the advantage gear ratio wise. In first gear, the 1LE has a slight advantage being lower with a 10.40:1 vs. a 10.38:1, but that advantage goes to the standard SS in second gear with a 7.14:1 vs a 6.95:1. So basically even out of the hole, and then a slight gearing advantage in second to the SS. Third gear is probably the killer though. The 1LE has a gearing advantage with a 5.08:1 vs the 4.93:1 of the SS, but that advantage prevents the car form making it to the end of the 1/4 mile without grabbing fourth gear in the 1LE. None of this takes into account tire size, so just a bit of info for what its worth. People just need to understand that the 3.91 gears in a 1LE are matched with a different transmission with different internal gearing, so it is not like putting a set of 3.91 gears behind a standard SS transmission.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #24
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
We plan to track ours, but life and finances prevent that now. It is my daily driver and this package is the only reason we made the move last year when we did to get a new car. If not, I would have kept the WS6. If you love driving, you can appreciate the 1LE package on the road everyday!
+1
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #25
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I ordered my 1LE not only for the handling, but also the way the badass package looks! My car is my DD and I don't have immediate plans to track the car, but that could change in the future! Other people post what this car is capable of at a road course and that puts a big smile on my face! I love this frikin car! I'm going to go drive it right now, just because!!!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #26
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
The 1LE is a killer package and I would recommend it if buying new for the first time. However; if you are thinking of trading up, I suggest either adding the 1LE suspension kit or aftermarket to your current SS. For what you would lose in trade-in you could easily put build a monster to out-perform the 1LE.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #27
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post

Regarding the 1le vs the s/s in a straight line; my experience matches yours. My 1le has typically demonstrated an advantage over the s/s in 1st through 3rd. More than enough to make up for the shift into 4th near the end of the quarter. I've always assumed this was due to the 3.91 rear gear, but I suppose it could be standard variation in cars, or perhaps better tires when coming off the line, etc.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #28
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
Regarding the 1le vs the s/s in a straight line; my experience matches yours. My 1le has typically demonstrated an advantage over the s/s in 1st through 3rd. More than enough to make up for the shift into 4th near the end of the quarter. I've always assumed this was due to the 3.91 rear gear, but I suppose it could be standard variation in cars, or perhaps better tires when coming off the line, etc.
if you are going to drag race either - get some weld RTS (or whatever drag wheel set you like) and drag radials.

Then add a small nitrous shot

Should easily run in the 11s (which not too long ago meant you had a very mean street car)

Then switch back to stock wheels/tires for track and dd duty

I am really really warming up to the 1LE at this point as I come to the realization the Z/28 is just outside my grasp
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote