Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
mjlash22

Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
Oil Change Ramp

I know I've seen it on here before, but I believe someone made a homemade oil change ramp. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
search is your friend

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=car+ramp
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
HorsePowerAddicts

Drives: LSx Powered
Heres a set of ramps. I wouldnt get under the car on these ramps though.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-mod-pics.html
HorsePowerAddicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
mjlash22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Oh I did, and went through 10 different threads, nothing I was looking for. It all depends on the keywords my friend. Thanks though!
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Quote:
I made some just like this only I used three layers instead of four. It worked just fine and I only needed two 2x10x10's to make'm.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
mjlash22

My next question, has anyone used a ramp like this to do an oil change? Can you do it while only the front is lifted?
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

I just used a scissor jack to change the oil on my buddies 2010. raise it up on the drivers side, pull the plug, lower it back down to get as much oil out as possible, wait about 30 min, raise car back up, install plug, lower car to the ground and fill up.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
I just used a scissor jack to change the oil on my buddies 2010. raise it up on the drivers side, pull the plug, lower it back down to get as much oil out as possible, wait about 30 min, raise car back up, install plug, lower car to the ground and fill up.
Mmmmmm not good advice.

Can you imagine someone taking your advice and grabbing an old scissor jack or bottle jack and then it failing while they are under the car?

Please use jack stands rated for the weight of the vehicle. Also use tire chocks for the back wheels. My life is worth the extra few minutes of preparation.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlash22 View Post
My next question, has anyone used a ramp like this to do an oil change? Can you do it while only the front is lifted?
Yes and ive used these ramps on 3 other cars in the family. Very easy to drive up on too, even with a manual trans,just like going up steps. Thirty bucks worth of materials. BTW - Watermellon not included.
Attached Images

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
mjlash22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW View Post
Yes and ive used these ramps on 3 other cars in the family. Very easy to drive up on too, even with a manual trans,just like going up steps. Thirty bucks worth of materials. BTW - Watermelon not included.
looks good to me! a good winter project while I'm waiting for the car!
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
ut00311

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Hey Guys,

Go to OReilly's Auto Parts and buy a set for $49.95 with a capacity of 12,000 lbs. They are perfect for the Camaro. Wide enough for 20" tires and have a 17 degree incline.
ut00311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Mmmmmm not good advice.

Can you imagine someone taking your advice and grabbing an old scissor jack or bottle jack and then it failing while they are under the car?

Please use jack stands rated for the weight of the vehicle. Also use tire chocks for the back wheels. My life is worth the extra few minutes of preparation.

my condolences for not including EACH AND EVERY step of the process.

hows this....first off, I walked up to the car, secondly I reached into my pocket, grabbed the key, removed the key from my pocket, pushed the key release button, hit the unlock button, reached out to the car, grabbed the door handle, opened the door, sat in the car, fastened my seatbelt, put the key into the ignition, adjusted my rearview mirror, adjusted my left outside mirror, adjusted my right outside mirror, verified the parking brake was engaged, depressed brake pedal, depressed the clutch pedal, turned the key to the "on" position, allowed the fuel pump to prime, turned the key to the "start" position, released key to "on" position, allowed car to idle down, verified oil pressure was good, put shifter into reverse, released parking brake, released brake, looked over my shoulder out the back window, released clutch slowly, backed up, turned wheel slightly, backed up further, depressed clutch, depressed brake, shifted into 1st, released brake, released clutch, drove forward, depressed clutch, shifted to second, released clutch, drove further, depressed clutch, shifted to third, released clutch, drove further, depressed clutch, shifted to second, released clutch, depressed clutch, depressed brake, stopped car at stop sign, turned left turn signal on, waited for light to change, shifted to first gear, released brake, released clutch, moved forward, cleared vehicle for movement, depressed clutch, shifted to second, released clutch, turned right turn signal on, merged into interstate onramp, depressed clutch, shifted to third, released clutch, smashed the gas, depressed clutch, shifted to fourth, released clutch, turned on left turn signal, merged into interstate traffic, drove further, depressed clutch, shifted to fifth, released clutch, drove further, depressed clutch, shifted to fourth, released clutch, turned on right turn signal, merged into off-ramp lane, depressed clutch, shifted to third, released clutch, depressed brake, depressed clutch, shifted to second, released clutch, depressed clutch, depressed brake, stopped car, turned on right turn signal, waited for light to change, shifted to first, released brake, released clutch, merged into entrance to parking lot, depressed clutch, depressed brake, stopped car, set parking brake, allowed engine to idle, turned car off, placed car in first, released clutch, released brake, removed key from ignition, pulled door handle to unlock, pulled door handle to open, opened door, unbuckled seatbelt, stepped out of car, popped hood open, popped trunk open, removed oil, removed oil catch pan, removed oil filter, removed wheel chocks, removed jack, removed jack stand, removed tools, placed wheel chocks behind and in front of rear wheels, place jack under car, attach jack screw, jacked car into air, placed jack stand under car, lowered car onto jack stand, slid under car, placed oil catch pan under oil pan, removed oil drain plug, wiped hot oil off arm, removed oil filter, wiped hot oil off arm, slid out from under car, inspected drain plug for particulates, jacked car up, removed jack stand, lowered car down to level, reached into pocket, pull out cigarette, reach into other pocket, pull out lighter, place cigarette in mouth, light cigarette, inhale cigarette smoke, exhale smoke, (process repeates last 2 steps for ~30 min), put cigarette out, raise car up, place jack stand under car, lower car onto jack stand, slide under car, reinstall oil drain plug, open first bottle of oil, fill new oil filter with oil, lubricate seal on oil filter, install oil filter, slide out from under car, raise car off jack stand, remove jack stand, lower car to ground, remove jack, raise hood, remove oil fill cap, remove engine cover, pour oil into engine, open second bottle of oil, remove first bottle, pour oil into engine (steps repeat for all 8 bottles), recap all oil bottles, replace engine cover, replace oil fill cap, open door, depress clutch pedal, shift into neutral, turn key to "on" position, allow fuel pump to prime, turn key to "start" position, allow engine to start, release key, allow engine to warm to operating temperature, verify correct oil pressure, shut engine off, removed oil dipstick, wiped oil dipstick clean, replaced oil dipstick, removed oil dipstick, verified correct quantity of oil in engine, replaced oil dipstick, closed hood, placed jack in trunk, placed jack stand in trunk, placed wheel chocks in trunk, carried oil catch pan to oil reclamation canister, poured oil into canister, placed empty oil bottles in oil collection canister, placed oil catch pan in trunk, closed trunk, sat down in car, depressed clutch, depressed brake, started car, released parking brake, revved engine, released brake, dumped clutch, performed donut technique.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
At some point common sense needs to step on the scene when working on your vehicle..if it doesnt...oh well..lol
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
sooneRS

Drives: Black
i bought the ramps from the store. it fits perfect and doesnt scrape the bottom of the 2lt bumper cover on stock ride height.