Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreechssr View Post
With the new computer controlled engines, it would appear that octane rating is not as critical to prevent pre-ignition as in older engines. These engines will self adjust and run on 87 octane. However, as stated by others in this thread, you will lose some performance and in my experience some gas mileage (1-2mpg).
Now the economics. 92 octane is generally $.20-.25 more than 87 octane. My logic says that in a typical 20 gal. fill up, I'll pay roughly $4.00-$6.00 more per tank. In my opinion, that aint bad for a tank of higher performance, and better gas mileage. Just a thought.
while computers in automobiles do self adjust to run on lower octane gas, thats whats hurting your performance. they cut back the spark timing to prevent detonation (combustion cycle preignition) which means you dont start the combustion cycle till later in the rotation of the motor which means you arent reaching your full power potential

i spend 45 bucks to fill my car up (roughly) 14 gal tank, i fill up with 10-11 gal (cus i dont run my car down past 1/4 tank cus it can be detrimental to performance and the fuel pump). as ive stated before, i wont put 87 in my car. its a rare occasion that i'll even run 91 or... dare i say it 89.

93 for me baby
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.

Last edited by CamaroSpike23; 08-04-2008 at 09:24 AM.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #16
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
while computers in automobiles do self adjust to run on lower octane gas, thats whats hurting your performance. they cut back the spark timing to prevent detonation which means you dont start the combustion cycle till later in the rotation of the motor which means you arent reaching your full power potential

i spend 45 bucks to fill my car up (roughly) 14 gal tank, i fill up with 10-11 gal (cus i dont run my car down past 1/4 tank cus it can be detrimental to performance and the fuel pump). as ive stated before, i wont put 87 in my car. its a rare occasion that i'll even run 91 or... dare i say it 89.

93 for me baby

Greg you really know your shit, I like you man.......lol

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #17
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
So us Swedes that have 95 octance standard, 98 premium won't have to worry about all this then, huh?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Greg you really know your shit, I like you man.......lol
thanks. i try to share my knowledge as much as possible, usually to help, but sometimes to shut others up.

its hard fighting against all the ignorance in the world (and on this forum as of late)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
So us Swedes that have 95 octance standard, 98 premium won't have to worry about all this then, huh?
98...bastards...lol

unless your rating system is different than ours...
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #19
rcreechssr

Drives: 2006 SSR 6 speed
Quote:
while computers in automobiles do self adjust to run on lower octane gas, thats whats hurting your performance. they cut back the spark timing to prevent detonation which means you dont start the combustion cycle till later in the rotation of the motor which means you arent reaching your full power potential

93 for me baby
I'm with you 100%!!!
rcreechssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #20
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
When a bottle of octane boost (or snake oil as I call it) says 3 points it means from 89 to 89.3 not to 91. Total waste of money.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #21
mega

Drives: 2007 mini cooper S
I hope you all know why/how the computer knows to pull ignition and up the fuel/air ratio

KNOCK, that's right, the engine knock sensor, from preignition

it's NOT good, just because the engine is smart enough to retard ignition and richen the fuel does not mean it's good to run 87
mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #22
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
I would run 93 all day. however, even the vettes with trhe LS3 can run on 87, you jus lose some power. I don't remember who said it earlier, but the higher the octane rating, the WORSE fuel economy you get because it burns at a higher rate.

What we should all be hoping for is E85 capabilities, because that burns hotter than 93 and will give you some extra horses when using it.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #23
mega

Drives: 2007 mini cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
I would run 93 all day. however, even the vettes with trhe LS3 can run on 87, you jus lose some power. I don't remember who said it earlier, but the higher the octane rating, the WORSE fuel economy you get because it burns at a higher rate.

What we should all be hoping for is E85 capabilities, because that burns hotter than 93 and will give you some extra horses when using it.
wrong, e85 has less energy, it's ethanol based, you'll get worse mileage

you want to run the lowest octane fuel you can, without predetonation, any higher is a waste of money
mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
When a bottle of octane boost (or snake oil as I call it) says 3 points it means from 89 to 89.3 not to 91. Total waste of money.
exactly right.... see post 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega View Post
I hope you all know why/how the computer knows to pull ignition and up the fuel/air ratio

KNOCK, that's right, the engine knock sensor, from preignition

it's NOT good, just because the engine is smart enough to retard ignition and richen the fuel does not mean it's good to run 87
knock = detonation... see post 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post

wait a sec... so you say that the higher octane rating, the worse fuel economy... e85 is effectively 100-105 octane rating... e85 users will spend the same amount if not more to run it over gasoline due to the fact that e85 tuned motors tend to run richer than gasoline. so what they think they are saving on gas at the pump, they are more than paying back on the road.

and when it comes to horsies, the only real time that e85 outshines regular gasoline is when the motor has a high enough compression ratio to make use of the higher octane level of e85. most other times e85 runs slightly less hp than gasoline.

and here's a nice coverage (by the epa) about e85s stats
http://www.epa.gov/air/caaac/mstrs/2006_10_dunham.pdf

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #25
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:

wait a sec... so you say that the higher octane rating, the worse fuel economy...
Different motor, but that has been my experience with my Cobalt SS/SC. I actually get better mileage with regular, but admittedly it is not scientific since I don't drive exactly the same every time, but it runs very nicely on regular, but I don't spend a ton of time in the upper part of the tach when I drive back and forth to work......
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #26
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:

you want to run the lowest octane fuel you can, without predetonation, any higher is a waste of money

already touched on the first part...

and the second, you hit the nail on the head

Octane is defined as a fuel's resistance to knocking. There is no benefit if the octane is higher than what the engine needs. Engine knock occurs when fuel in a combustion chamber ignites before it should. This disrupts the engine's operation. But electronic knock sensors are now common and have nearly eliminated engine disruption.

The American Petroleum Institute says if you find that your car runs fine on a lower grade, there is no sense switching to premium. The Institute recommends following manufacturer's recommendation, but even those manufacturers say that it is more of a suggestion than a command (mainly cus a lot of people who buy cars that have a recommended 93 rating will still go and use 87 cus they arent pushing their car to its limits and arent worried about it).

but i will say this to any LT1/LT4 owners out there. our motors came with roughly 10.5-11.0 cr. thats high considering the cr's of the other vehicles produced in that time. too many times, ive had someone complain about their car bogging down, running rough, and just crapping out in general. i ask what fuel they are running, they say 87... well, there's the problem. 90% of them that switched to premium found the car running smoother and better overall. the other 10% had opti problems... go figure.

adding on that, the cr of todays motors that are rolling off the production line is going up every day. but with more advanced tuning and distinctive engine properties (ie.I.) it is more and more common to see high cr motors running 87 without problems.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Not wrong. In FI and high-compression applications; E85's natural ~103 Octane rating can have positive effects on performance. Mileage is a different story.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
Different motor, but that has been my experience with my Cobalt SS/SC. I actually get better mileage with regular, but admittedly it is not scientific since I don't drive exactly the same every time, but it runs very nicely on regular, but I don't spend a ton of time in the upper part of the tach when I drive back and forth to work......

throw a turbo on it and run 3 tanks of e85...lol

that will net you some hp... not sure on mpg tho.
the main thing to keep in mind with e85 vs gasoline, is that gasoline gives you more bang (not necessarily for the buck tho) what would be cool is if they made a dual tank flex fuel vehicle that on acceleration would go off gasoline, but when cruising, would switch to e85....

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: