Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Replacement brakes rotors and pads

Alright, curious to hear from my DDers and "spirited" drivers what you are doing for replacement brake rotors and pads on your 1LE. All 4 corners need to be replaced.

I've been looking at R1 concept rotors...... Either blank or slotted with OE pads. I've also been contemplating going with an overkill pad such as Hawk DTC70 in the front and DTC 30 or 50 in the rear. I really don't care about dust. I've always wanted more stopping power without doing the ZL1/CTS-V upgrade or any other "big brake kit".

Right this second I'm leaning towards OE pads and rotors but I'm curious to see what people are doing with the brakes on their 1LE
Old 08-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
It seems that there are two main paths folks choose. One is to get into a different pad and a higher temperature fluid, which may be the best bang / buck scenario.

Second choice is the swap. I went with the ZL1 / Z06 brakes in front, ss lines all the way around, and a few other related bits, and feel that it was money extremely well spent. The car slows down with noticeably more authority now. Personally I think 6 pistons should have been a standard part of the 1LE package (as they apparently are on the 6th gens now). I have a 2 day HPDE event coming up, so it will be interesting to see if fade is a factor at all.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
It seems that there are two main paths folks choose. One is to get into a different pad and a higher temperature fluid, which may be the best bang / buck scenario.

Second choice is the swap. I went with the ZL1 / Z06 brakes in front, ss lines all the way around, and a few other related bits, and feel that it was money extremely well spent. The car slows down with noticeably more authority now. Personally I think 6 pistons should have been a standard part of the 1LE package (as they apparently are on the 6th gens now). I have a 2 day HPDE event coming up, so it will be interesting to see if fade is a factor at all.
Couldn't agree more. I'm currently not looking to do that upgrade unless I find it at a price I can't resist. So I'm at option 1.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
ThisGuyDrives

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey Metallic 1LE/1SS/RS
6 pistons would be nice. A guy on one of these Camaro pages said it's a night and day difference compared to the 4 piston.
ThisGuyDrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
All depends at what level you're driving on the track. 9 or 10 10ths at a track day doing full 20 min hot lap sessions, yeah the 6 pistons will rule.

But...are you at that level? I think the regular SS Brembos with upgraded DOT 4 fluid works great. Yeah if I have a few thousand to gift my car, some 6 pistons would be nice. But when it already stops so good, tough to justify - until you're at that level on the track. AP Racing has some nice kits I'd prob go with.

Do you really need rotors? Have you measured them? These SS rotors are incredibly beefy, can be turned several times. Every time I've taken some SS front rotors in, they are always amazed at the heft... I get the... these are off a car? Seem like HD truck rotors lol. A light finish cut usually cleans them right up.

If you do go aftermarket rotors, go slots or j slots. Holes are for looks and where all the cracks will start. When I see a car with rotor holes and ceramic pads... nice show car.

Another advantage of the OE Brembo pads is those counterweight roller skate wheels. Keeps the noise down even while having the heavy metallic material.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Don't waste your $$$ on other than stock rotors period. Those cute drilled and slotted ones are no where near as good and will only last 1/2 as long. Put the stock pads back on and flush/fill with SRF and you will be good to go until you are consistently boiling the 4 pistons over.....then switch to ZL1 with carbotechs.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:36 AM   #7
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
All depends at what level you're driving on the track. 9 or 10 10ths at a track day doing full 20 min hot lap sessions, yeah the 6 pistons will rule.

But...are you at that level? I think the regular SS Brembos with upgraded DOT 4 fluid works great. Yeah if I have a few thousand to gift my car, some 6 pistons would be nice. But when it already stops so good, tough to justify - until you're at that level on the track. AP Racing has some nice kits I'd prob go with.

Do you really need rotors? Have you measured them? These SS rotors are incredibly beefy, can be turned several times. Every time I've taken some SS front rotors in, they are always amazed at the heft... I get the... these are off a car? Seem like HD truck rotors lol. A light finish cut usually cleans them right up.

If you do go aftermarket rotors, go slots or j slots. Holes are for looks and where all the cracks will start. When I see a car with rotor holes and ceramic pads... nice show car.

Another advantage of the OE Brembo pads is those counterweight roller skate wheels. Keeps the noise down even while having the heavy metallic material.
Im certainly not anywhere near the 6 piston level. My car hasn't seen autocross or a road course yet. Just some very spirited driving. I did measure the rotor with a micrometer and my front rotor was at 1.20in which is 30.48mm. I've read the discard/throw away thickness on the front are 30mm and the rear is 28mm. So I'm pretty much there. If I turn them then it gets me a little more use. Turned, the fronts are supposed to be 28mm. I'm just going to buy new rotors while I'm at it.

Currently I'm just looking for something with more bite. That's why I was thinking a more aggressive pad or slotted rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Don't waste your $$$ on other than stock rotors period. Those cute drilled and slotted ones are no where near as good and will only last 1/2 as long. Put the stock pads back on and flush/fill with SRF and you will be good to go until you are consistently boiling the 4 pistons over.....then switch to ZL1 with carbotechs.
Certainly not wanting anything drilled. I was looking at slotted only since the new vettes have them and wondered if they increased braking at all. But I don't want slotted if they are going to kill my pad life. The color of my calipers haven't even changed so I'm no where near boiling the fluid.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
For Brake pads on the street, HPS 5.0 are highly recommended by JDP motorsports. I use the HPS Plus (front and rear) and they've worked great for me, and no noise. Using aftermarket pads also eliminates the "rollerskates" and allows you to go with a smaller wheel if you wish to.

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 08-10-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Alright, curious to hear from my DDers and "spirited" drivers what you are doing for replacement brake rotors and pads on your 1LE. All 4 corners need to be replaced.

I've been looking at R1 concept rotors...... Either blank or slotted with OE pads. I've also been contemplating going with an overkill pad such as Hawk DTC70 in the front and DTC 30 or 50 in the rear. I really don't care about dust. I've always wanted more stopping power without doing the ZL1/CTS-V upgrade or any other "big brake kit".

Right this second I'm leaning towards OE pads and rotors but I'm curious to see what people are doing with the brakes on their 1LE
Stay stock unless you want to go racing
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Stay stock unless you want to go racing
I want to autocorss and run Sebring eventually. I sent you a PM a few months, maybe even a year ago, and described my driving habits and plans for my car. You recommended OE pads and rotors.

I ordered all OE rotors and pads today from Maureen at Rogers Chevrolet. She's great to deal with and saved me some money. ALL my local dealers quoted 251 for front pads and 148 for rear pads. I'm saving over 100 bucks in pads alone.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
I want to autocorss and run Sebring eventually. I sent you a PM a few months, maybe even a year ago, and described my driving habits and plans for my car. You recommended OE pads and rotors.

I ordered all OE rotors and pads today from Maureen at Rogers Chevrolet. She's great to deal with and saved me some money. ALL my local dealers quoted 251 for front pads and 148 for rear pads. I'm saving over 100 bucks in pads alone.

This is why I don't lie. I am not smart enough to remember what story I told last
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #12
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
This is why I don't lie. I am not smart enough to remember what story I told last
LMAO... you've always been a good guy to talk to Pete.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #13
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:

I'm curious as to what would your race brake setup be of you were keeping the stock 4 piston brembos.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #14
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Sub'ed....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote