Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
DCamaroLover

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
Winter Driving

This is not necessarily about snow driving since those threads are all over the place, but snow driving and I have a couple questions. Do you guys still use snow tires during the winter? I know that may not make sense, but unless there is snow on the ground, would you be fine with the Pzeros? and also, if you do use snow tires even if it is not snowing or there is no snow on the ground, how do you know when to go from Pzeros to snow tires? is there a certain temp?
DCamaroLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Yes I still use my pirelli scorpion ice and snows.
The Pzeros will slide on dry pavement when it gets below freezing. Just try and take a corner hard and see what happens. It is more like a slip and stick.

I've read the rule is to put the summer tires back on when the low temperature stops dropping below 50.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Search is your friend.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I use Firestone Winterforce. Put them on end Nov until April. Oh wait, that's on my HHR. Goes great in the snow and ice. Camaro is in the garage under cover during this time. Remember, never put snows on front only of a front wheel drive car. Very dangerous.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
SSN8R
Addicted to G's

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SSRS / 2002 Camaro SS NBM
The P-Zeros turn into hockey pucks at about 40f. You do not NEED snow tires. All-seasons are good enough. Snow tires are designed for snow, and as pointed out are typically only placed on the drive wheels. Typically terrible in corners.

Good Luck,

SSN8R
SSN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
snow tires need to be put on ALL FOUR wheels. If you put them only on the powered wheels on a RWD car, how will you turn with summer tires on the front? 75% of braking is done with the front wheels, just imagine your 60-0 skid if your front tires just locked and slid because they couldn't get any traction. If you put them only on the front, how will you start rolling if your tires are slipping on even the smallest amount of snow or ice?

You leave the winter tires on all winter as the P-zeros do not handle well even on dry pavement if it's around freezing or colder. My car handles like a champ with winter tires I can mostly gun it even on dry pavement, the winters do have a little more slippage on full throttle than the summers did, but I do think that's because the summers are excessively sticky!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
in the late fall put winters on. in early/mid spring put summers on. all seasons are OK on other cars but not on these cars. the all seasons on my LS suck in the winter which is why my car is mostly parked until i can afford winters next year.

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
Our climate during the winter is usually 0-7 degress celcius (32-45 for you americans)... with dips to about -5 (23) every so often. It rains a ton and maybe snows about 5-10 days in december/january.

ON dry/wet days I'm rockin' the Pzeros still. Just don't drive like an idiot. Those few days it does snow... I don't even go near the car
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more

Last edited by Heliwrench; 01-06-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
My First Camaro!

Drives: '18 5.7 RAM 1500 18' 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSN8R View Post
The P-Zeros turn into hockey pucks at about 40f. You do not NEED snow tires. All-seasons are good enough. Snow tires are designed for snow, and as pointed out are typically only placed on the drive wheels. Typically terrible in corners.

Good Luck,

SSN8R
The only things worse than all-seasons in the snow/ice/cold is summer tires. Snow tire Tread Pattern is designed for snow/ice. Snow tire Tread Compound is designed for cold temp's. If you put Winter tires on only your drive wheels it will help you go, but that is it. You will still have problems braking and turning. Bad idea. If you are going to drive your Camaro in Snow/ice/frost you need to get the best winter tires you can and put them on all 4 wheels.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
JeSSter

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Cyber Gray Metallic
I drove on a light dusting of snow (about 1-2") ONE TIME with the PZEROs. Never will do that again. It wasn't just a tad uncomfortable, or a little uneasy, it was COMPLETELY USELESS on the snow. Bought a set of 18" rims with BLIZZAK WS-70s from Rudy at Tire Rack. We've had Blizzards (8-12") and ice, and I've had NO ISSUES with the BLIZZAKS at all. Love em. Have my PZEROs cleaned up and stored in the basement waiting for Spring.......
JeSSter is offline   Reply With Quote