Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
My biggest issue is that part of the criteria in deciding where they went was that they had to have a place READY to display it. The Enterprise will be in a temporary pavilion until the decide how to display it permanently. The criteria were NOT met - and two places that were ready were passed up... It's political, but politics are against the rules, so that's all I have to say about it.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #16
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
Every time I read or hear news about the shuttles' final destinations, I just get ticked off. The Museum of Flight in Seattle got passed over for one, and it already had the space for it, and it's located RIGHT next to the runway at Boeing field, making delivery to the museum a piece of cake.
I agree that Discovery, being the first shuttle in space, should be at the Smithsonian. But New York City is getting one, and they don't even have a place to put it!

Sorry for the rant... true blue Seattleite here, feeling snubbed... guess I need to plan a trip to DC now, huh???
I agree with you. New York should've never gotten one. They've done nothing to deserve it either. Especially since they don't even have a facility to put it in! These shuttles need special care. They can't just be thrown in a tent.

You won't have to go to DC unless you specifically want to see Discovery. Endeavour is being sent to Los Angeles later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
still can't comprehend how a 747 handles that weight.

anyone see the 60 minute's report a couple weeks ago on what's happend to the economy down in Florida around the Cape since the Shuttle program ended?
It's horrible at the cape. There's so many people unemployed.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
You won't have to go to DC unless you specifically want to see Discovery. Endeavour is being sent to Los Angeles later this year.
That's kinda dumb. The Enterprise was already at the Smithsonian, why send it to New York to just replace it with Discovery? While I still object to New York getting a shuttle, it would make more sense (and be cheaper) to send Discovery to New York.

Easier to deliver too if they just fly the 747 to a pre-determined location, do a barrel roll and detatch the shuttle at the right time, then glide it to a landing on the Intrepid's deck.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertypodemon View Post
That's kinda dumb. The Enterprise was already at the Smithsonian, why send it to New York to just replace it with Discovery? While I still object to New York getting a shuttle, it would make more sense (and be cheaper) to send Discovery to New York.

Easier to deliver too if they just fly the 747 to a pre-determined location, do a barrel roll and detatch the shuttle at the right time, then glide it to a landing on the Intrepid's deck.
Sending Discovery to New York would be a huge mistake. New York doesn't deserve a shuttle, let alone the shuttle fleet leader.

That would be a good idea if the shuttle could land on such a small amount of asphalt.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Quote:
Sending Discovery to New York would be a huge mistake. New York doesn't deserve a shuttle, let alone the shuttle fleet leader.

That would be a good idea if the shuttle could land on such a small amount of asphalt.
Well yeah, I said they don't deserve one. But since my opinion and the opinions of millions of people don't matter; it'd save money by not having to move two shuttles when there's already one at the Smithsonian.

As far as stopping, just line the deck with people on both sides and give them all two of these.
Attached Images

mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertypodemon View Post
Well yeah, I said they don't deserve one. But since my opinion and the opinions of millions of people don't matter; it'd save money by not having to move two shuttles when there's already one at the Smithsonian.

As far as stopping, just line the deck with people on both sides and give them all two of these.
It would be cheaper. But since NASA promised Discovery to the Smithsonian awhile ago, they didn't have much of a choice.

That's great!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Is there some sort of huge dent in the side? That black circle on the left side of the shuttle...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #22
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
Is there some sort of huge dent in the side? That black circle on the left side of the shuttle...
Near the tail/stabilizer?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #23
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Right below where it says "discovery". They sure do look a lil toasty after they come back to earth lol
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #24
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
I agree with you. New York should've never gotten one. They've done nothing to deserve it either. Especially since they don't even have a facility to put it in! These shuttles need special care. They can't just be thrown in a tent.

But it will be a CLIMATE CONTROLLED tent!
If I have to travel to see one, I'll travel to see Discovery. DC has more other things to see as well... LA? Been there, done that.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #25
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
Right below where it says "discovery". They sure do look a lil toasty after they come back to earth lol
Oh! No that's just a scar from re-entry.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #26
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
But it will be a CLIMATE CONTROLLED tent!
If I have to travel to see one, I'll travel to see Discovery. DC has more other things to see as well... LA? Been there, done that.
I don't blame you.

Good thing we have Atlantis!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #27
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
I don't blame you.

Good thing we have Atlantis!
Where's the emoticon for sticking my tongue out at you???
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #28
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Where's the emoticon for sticking my tongue out at you???
Sorry!

But then again, I plan on traveling to see every shuttle in it's retirement home.