Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I sold my OEM forged 1LE wheels shod with tires at 60% for about $3K. It's hard to beat 1LE's value proposition.
And that sale alone almost paid completely for the whole 1le performance package sticker price!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
KINGRENZ

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Quote:
I don't think you can fit ZL1 suspension to other models; I doubt you could economically get the magnetic ride to work.

I sold my OEM forged 1LE wheels shod with tires at 60% for about $3K. It's hard to beat 1LE's value proposition.
Yea ,,you might be right about the magnetic ride from the zl1.
I know you can get the 1le suspension.
but if its ss to zl1 over all.....i get zl1 no question.
1le are real nice ...real nice...but its not to much better than a ss with some after market mods and save some bread.

Quote:
wow..3k...that is real good money you made.. for me that have to go towards a cam kit and stall (lol)
Harvey Dent- Dark Night Feeling
KINGRENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #17
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
1LE ride isnt a problem for DD, unless you're a bit ch LOL!! Hill assist is a big pain in the arse though!! Get rid of that or use your hand brake at every hill (up one click). You can remove the hill assist with 'auto trans G sensor' or whatever its called, located near the shifter.

ZL1 is a nicer car overall, but the 1LE is a steal!

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #18
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
... the 1LE is a steal!
That my friend is the understatement of the year.

Very reminiscent of the Judge of the era. Although not near as iconic of course.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #19
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Why not get a used ZL1 with low miles? Seeing them go for 40-45 range which isn't too far off from a new 1LE. The ZL1 is a monster of a car in every category compared to the SS/1LE
Old 01-20-2015, 04:31 AM   #20
Synner

Drives: cars
At this point in the game I'd either get a used ZL1 or wait a year for the 6th gen.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #21
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
At this point in the game I'd either get a used ZL1 or wait a year for the 6th gen.
I myself couldnt (didnt) wait for several reasons:

1 - I like my gals full-bodied with a back end as wide as the lane
2 - my 1le as big as it is still handles like a little sports car
3 - i like a meaty v8 too. We dont know that that caddy 500plus hp turbo v6 is or isnt going to be one of the performance options for gen6 camaros.
4 - we do know the gen6 is going to shed some poundage.... somewhere. See number 1.
5 - we dont even know if the 1le, let alone the zl1, will be run in first year production.
6 - I am not sure i want a first year run of a new platform.
7 - every year, they dont get cheaper
8 - history has shown us that it starts big fat n sassy, and then the chase for a leaner build to stay ahead of the competition changes the whole dynamic of the car.
9 - in hardly just a few years, dont be surprised if the v8 and the manual transmission become cafe history. And those two things alone define "muscle car" to me.

I could go on, but it boils down to this current salt n pepper is the tasty seasoning i like on my steak. I would be hardpressed to upgrade at this point.

Just my personal op ya know.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #22
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I think this'll be the plan. 1LE drives fantastic. Suspension is just fine (and haha, I am a bit ch Whammo!) But after a few drives in the ZL1, all I have is ZL1 on the brain.

Announcements are so close for the 2016 at this point, and my vette is in great condition, it's silly for me not to see what's next. Thanks for the input!
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #23
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGRENZ View Post
give me the SS ( manual) with some mods like headers , cold air and tune then add 3.91 gears and with any suspension upgrades (1LE OR ZL1) and still ...AND STILL its cheaper then a 1le
but what will perform better?
When you factor in the install costs, and a possible blown warranty on the motor and power train, less resale due to the above, I don't see the value. Just the suspension, and install cost will add up the difference. Not everyone has the time to do the work.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGRENZ View Post
give me the SS ( manual) with some mods like headers , cold air and tune then add 3.91 gears and with any suspension upgrades (1LE OR ZL1) and still ...AND STILL its cheaper then a 1le
but what will perform better?
Your not adding the 1LE package to any SS for less than $3500. Your not even buying the parts for that type of money. As far as performance, I can not imagine being able to improve the handling of an SS enough to make up the 8 seconds difference around VIR for less than $3500. If you are talking straight line performance, than I think the 1LE is probably a waste of money.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #25
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
If you can afford a ZL1 get it, you will not be disappointed. If you cant afford one then buy a 2SS with a 1LE performance package on it. Remember, the 1LE is not a model like the SS or the ZL1. It is a performance package kind of like the Z51 package the corvette has.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #26
KINGRENZ

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
If you can afford a ZL1 get it, you will not be disappointed. If you cant afford one then buy a 2SS with a 1LE performance package on it. Remember, the 1LE is not a model like the SS or the ZL1. It is a performance package kind of like the Z51 package the corvette has.
This was the point I was trying to make or leaning towards.
It comes down to what you gonna do
and if you hitting the track often ,then that pack would be good WITH THE 1LE.
FOR A SS, there is after market suspension parts that are pretty good.

and the 1le track pack is only 1500 and it is not that expensive to get installed.

When i got my 2ss the 1le was ( if I Am not mistaken ) 8-12k more.
again if i am not mistaken.

You can get some after market mods installed and still come out cheaper.
I GUESS i am looking at it like I know I will mod the car-
looking at it like I know i want a cam and headers.
now if you worried about the warranty and plan to leave it stock.
Better off to just get a zl1.
That's My point about -give me the modded ss over a stock 1le because I would not be tracking enough to use that 8 sec difference. (now thats stock ss vs stock 1le-
not vs a modded ss with a 1le pack

I think the SS with even a cam- 3.91 gears-headers.and even a lil suspension upgrade and cai -tune would still be cheaper OR CLOSE TO SAME PRICE.(and the ss suspension is not horrible-just need some help)

I would again choose to just skip that and go ahead and get a zl1. OR A GREAT USED ZL1.
Nothing against a 1le .Awesome car. it is! It is nice.
(HORSE POWER AND TORQ) is the area i would get more use....but that is me ...just my opinion guys ...that's all.
sorry for long post op!!
Harvey Dent- Dark Night Feeling

Last edited by KINGRENZ; 01-20-2015 at 04:49 PM.
KINGRENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #27
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
1LE is a 3500$ option... ^^

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #28
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Also to upgrade the tires to the same not including rims is going to be a grand. Other things carried over from the ZL1 such as the wheels at about a grand each retail, Zl1 high output fuel pump, wheel bearings etc would retail far above the 3500 added price between the SS and 1LE.

If I were to want a N/A track car I would start with the 1LE. I choose the ZL1 because it does many things well and is strong as hell. The mag ride is excellent in many venues from track to rough roads. The 1LE will probably handle a bit better at the track, but the Z is not slow at the track by any means, and the brakes handle more use without fade. A tough choice to be in having to choose and I could fully understand a decision either way.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote