Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Would you abandon the 5thgen design for improved aerodynamics?
Yes 27 10.51%
No 230 89.49%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #43
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
there isn't any "one" CD for the 2nd gen.......it depends on which year -- and, in the early cars -- an RS or regular - and with or without spoilers -- each time the front changes (and the rear, for that matter -- drag --) the CD changes.

A lot of time was spent on the 5thgen -- we tried to keep it as close as possible to the concept -- but we also spent time in the wind tunnel to get the numbers lower.

The wind tunnel also allows you to 'tune' things such as mirrors and door handles - to 'quiet' the car down -- no one wants to listen to turbulence around the window seals.....

I think people are going to be surprised as to how 'upscale' and 'refined' this car feels and performs...make no mistake -- we didn't take it's performance away -- we just made the car more livable.........
Money
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #44
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
there isn't any "one" CD for the 2nd gen.......it depends on which year -- and, in the early cars -- an RS or regular - and with or without spoilers -- each time the front changes (and the rear, for that matter -- drag --) the CD changes.

A lot of time was spent on the 5thgen -- we tried to keep it as close as possible to the concept -- but we also spent time in the wind tunnel to get the numbers lower.

The wind tunnel also allows you to 'tune' things such as mirrors and door handles - to 'quiet' the car down -- no one wants to listen to turbulence around the window seals.....

I think people are going to be surprised as to how 'upscale' and 'refined' this car feels and performs...make no mistake -- we didn't take it's performance away -- we just made the car more livable.........
And I must say the team did a mind-boggling job. Before I saw these numbers, I looked at the design and thought the aerodynamics would be awful. I loved the looks, but the drag trade-off was a bit much, I thought. Then I saw these Cd numbers and my jaw dropped. We've been promised that the Camaro will surprise us in many ways, and it delivered that surprise for me in this area. Sure I'd love to see it lower, and improvement would just be one more thing to brag about. But the current balance of style and aerodynamics is brilliant. I can only chalk up such an achievement to black magic. Well done.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:11 AM   #45
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
4th gens were capable of higher speed then 160. ive taken my z28 to 153 and i had lots of room in 5th gear left. i just didnt feel comfortable taking it any higher givin the road conditions.
A few things play into this...
going up hill or down? wind with you or against?

In 1999 the Z28 top speed was listed as 156. My car topped out at 156 indicated, I only ran it in one direction, and the speedo could have been off at those numbers. Keep in mind, the faster you are going, the more it takes to go faster. So yes you may have had more rpm left, but it would take a lot more power (rpm) to go a little bit faster.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #46
briannutter

Drives: C4Vette,C5-Z06,Cherokee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automob...g_coefficients

They spent a lot of time tuning the shape to hit .35/.36. Pretty amazing when you campare it to my LT1 Vette for instance at .34. The c5 Z06 is astounding.

Off subject, but the ZR1 seems to have been tuned for downforce at the expense of drag if you look at it's 205mph top speed number. If you compare the power and the top speed to the Porsche Carrera GT-the drag numbers would have to be pretty similar
briannutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #47
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
When the third gen came out Car and Driver ( i have the issue) reported it's cd at .37 and the Firebird at .32. That seems like a huge difference just because of headlights. They also said the 2nd gen was between .41 and .45, depending on the model.
The 4th gen was .34
and actually i just read the new Maxima is .33

Last edited by AZCamaroFan; 09-25-2008 at 02:59 PM.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #48
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Ok, so I just found this thread while looking for the car's Cd, and now that I know...WTF?

Here's some vehicles with lower Cd:

.349:

.32:

.28 and not even a vaguely sporty car:

No, I wouldn't want to give up the ballsy look of the Camaro, but .36 seems a bit much.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #49
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Ok, so I just found this thread while looking for the car's Cd, and now that I know...WTF?

Here's some vehicles with lower Cd:

.349:

.32:

.28 and not even a vaguely sporty car:

No, I wouldn't want to give up the ballsy look of the Camaro, but .36 seems a bit much.
This is done for fuel economy - finding it hard to believe those are the correct numbers for the suburban. If they are, good for GM to find a way to do that with that monster front end. Another good reason to love their most resent redesign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Is the SS lower than the LS/LT?! Why is it lower otherwise. Maybe the grille openings are bigger?...
Yeah, that doesn't make sense, there's more things on the SS to get caught up on - mail slot, bigger front end, spoiler... sure these numbers aren't flipped?
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
That isn't a 'burban, thats a Tahoe. Hybrid. It has a substantially reworked exterior to minimize aero drag.

As for the SS, I don't know about the other things, but the mail slot won't do much to hurt aero. Its closed off and doesn't protrude much from the rest of the fascia.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #51
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Here's a dedicated thread to talk about it. I'm curious to see what you guys think of it.

Camaro V6: .36
Camaro SS: .35

And a few cars to compare it to.

Mustang GT500: .38

Corvette Z06: .34

4thgen Camaro: .33

EDIT: and a poll for fun
The Corvette Coupe is much more slippery. 0.28 drag coefficient. NASCAR has taught me, downforce creates drag, the Z06 needed more downforce, and got more drag as a consequence.

Same article, Z06:

Quote:
Aero tuning reduces total lift and balances the front and rear lift coefficients while increasing the base Vette's 0.28 drag coefficient to 0.34.
Ed Welburn has talked about this, and he knows the Camaro is not the slipperiest car out there.

It's a RETRO design, the upright GRILL and front FASCIA are the largest culprits pushing air.

They knew that, I know that, and wouldn't change a THING!

Course I love the Camaro AND the Corvette.

Peanut Gallery: WHAT? Oh no, he's just not right...
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #52
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
The Corvette Coupe is much more slippery. 0.28 drag coefficient[/I]
That makes much more sense than .34 for that car, and it makes sense that .34 could be the result of downforce mods.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #53
swifttal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That isn't a 'burban, thats a Tahoe. Hybrid. It has a substantially reworked exterior to minimize aero drag.

As for the SS, I don't know about the other things, but the mail slot won't do much to hurt aero. Its closed off and doesn't protrude much from the rest of the fascia.
Doesn't matter if it's closed off, it's something for air to catch on. Vs the LT not having anything there. Good call on the Tahoe, not suburban... Amazing that GM turned that big brick into something that slippery - will have to trade my 99 suburban in for one of these soon
Old 11-23-2008, 12:45 AM   #54
camaro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
Doesn't matter if it's closed off, it's something for air to catch on. Vs the LT not having anything there. Good call on the Tahoe, not suburban... Amazing that GM turned that big brick into something that slippery - will have to trade my 99 suburban in for one of these soon

The additional drag created by the faux air scoop is minimal, and probably not even large enough to be measurable.

Bondo that badboy, and duplicolor it if desired.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #55
swifttal

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
The additional drag created by the faux air scoop is minimal, and probably not even large enough to be measurable.

Bondo that badboy, and duplicolor it if desired.
I'm saying it doesn't make sense that the SS is reported as having a lower drag coefficient than LT - don't care about the actual drag numbers, they're fine

Old 11-23-2008, 01:43 AM   #56
camaro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
I'm saying it doesn't make sense that the SS is reported as having a lower drag coefficient than LT - don't care about the actual drag numbers, they're fine

I don't ALWAYS read EVERY post in EVERY thread.

I commented on your post that I quoted ONLY.

That's the idea behind QUOTING.

If I wanted to comment on your other posts in this thread, I would have used the multi-quote feature.