Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
No matter what car you have, you will always wish there was something more... As for me, I wouldn't be any happier with another car than I am with my Camaro!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
wlorton

Drives: Looking to Buy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTA View Post
What is the consensus? I've always liked the Camaro over the Mustang ever since I bought my first '86 Z28 over an '87 LX that was at the same lot. But after an 8 year hiatus should the Camaro be objectively better than it is, especially given the hype of the new 5.0? GM should've gained ground, not stayed equal or lost it.
8 Year hiatus is 8 years without real world consumer feedback... So there should be some faults for some consumers, but now that its out there, it has been gaining ground faster than ever....

If memory serves me right, the mustang outsold the camaro until 77, which was about 10-11 years depending on how you count it... But they bring it back and it instantly outsells it.... Sure some people are pissed out the head room, some are pissed about the weight.... But take into consideration its NEW, and they will change it properly after feedback.....
wlorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
TurboTA

Drives: 2005 Procharged GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
:troll:

How on earth can you say that the Camaro stayed equal or lost ground? The 2010 Camaro came out and absolutely rocked the muscle car world. You do realize that if you are comparing apples to apples the 2010 Camaro SS has over 120hp more than the 2010 Mustang GT? The 2010 V6 Camaro has something like 100hp more than the 2010 V6 Mustang. The 2010 Camaro has a superior suspension, better brakes, better interior and more value for your money.

Now yes Ford came out with the 5.0 in 2011 but what they are trying to do is catch up. It is the Mustang that is not desperately fighting to be equal....not the Camaro.

Honestly I would say that regardless of what kind of fanboy you are, all Mustang lovers owe GM because if it wasn't for GM putting these big bad engines in the Camaro, Mustangs would likely still be underpowered.
Relax devil, it was just a question. But IMO a car 8 yrs in the making should've had the 2011 Mustang as a target because i'm sure they were aware of the what was in the works at ford or at least they should've been.
TurboTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
Quote:
Relax devil, it was just a question. But IMO a car 8 yrs in the making should've had the 2011 Mustang as a target because i'm sure they were aware of the what was in the works at ford or at least they should've been.
If the 11 was their target they hit it pretty close and started production in March of 09 with the result.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #19
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
I still don't know what you are getting at, so why don't you tell us where GM missed the boat.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I love the Camaro and lets be real here... People tend to get way to caught up in the 0-60 and 1/4 times... I mean, really.... How many of us race these cars?

I know there are a lot who do, but for every one that races them, there are 100 who do not...

I don't race mine so the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are meaningless to me.... The Camaro has more power than the normal driver will ever need....

Love everything about the Camaro.... The size, weight, 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are all meaningless to me as it's my daily driver.... And I love driving it daily!!!!

raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #22
TurboTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I still don't know what you are getting at, so why don't you tell us where GM missed the boat.
Most reviews have the Mustang the winner in most areas IIRC. I didn't say they missed the boat, I just think the Camaro should have been better. Simple as that. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great car and I am considering one. I just wanted opinions.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #23
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Most reviews have the Mustang the winner in most areas IIRC. I didn't say they missed the boat, I just think the Camaro should have been better. Simple as that. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great car and I am considering one. I just wanted opinions.
Well, just go drive each of them and then make your choice. I guess all I'm asking is don't let some knucklehead at a magazine make it for you. If at the end of the day you drive both and choose the Mustang, I can accept that.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #24
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
Quote:

Would you care to share a few examples of how you think it could have been better?

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 PM   #25
raqball

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Are you buying a car based on reviews from "other" people or based on your own review of the car???

In the end, who cares what some overpaid snub from a mag has to say, it's your money and your review that counts...

My .02 HP...
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #26
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I wasn't even looking for a new car when I saw a Camaro on a dealer lot last fall. I kept looking and looking. Stopped by to get a closer look. Asked to sit in one ("Do not give me the keys! I said, "I'm not interested in buying.")

Then I decided, WTF, I've never done anything that was really financially foolish my whole life, so I bought a 2SS after I finally took that test drive. I kept my SUV as my daily driver. The Camaro is a toy for me - something I've wanted since about 1969 (back then it was a '69 Camaro I loved at 11 years old). Since then, the only car I've ever seen that made me REALLY REALLY want it was this one.

I think Chevy did it right. I love it. I will keep it until I die. A real dream come true for me. It's a beautiful and powerful car that I can actually afford. Yay me! Yay us.

BTW, I have no desire whatsoever to buy a Mustang, or a Corvette, or even a Ferrari. I find the looks of the Camaro far superior. I know that's just my opinion. Other won't necessarily agree with me, but I love my Camaro.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #27
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
If you think about it, GM hit the nail on the head. If the 2011 Mustang was the target, both cars perform equally on paper by all accounts. But, drive a 2011 5.0 and a 2011 LS3 SS Camaro and see which one gets more looks. Plus, if you are waging war, do you come out with all the guns up front? GM came out strong, but left room for improvement. Same thing with the Corvette- don't they get better every year? It's tit for tat, simple as that.

Sure, the mags may give the Mustang the win, but do you base your life on what magazines say about a car? If you do, you come out losing. Most of the mags are just blah blah blah. I've had my RS/SS for a year now, and when I go get in that badboy and drive it, I feel like a million bucks. I don't give a damn what some egg head at a magazine says- he's probably walking out the door and getting in his new Honda CR-Z and thinking how cool he is.

Camaro for the win, Oshawa for the win, and GM got it right!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #28
TurboTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Are you buying a car based on reviews from "other" people or based on your own review of the car???

In the end, who cares what some overpaid snub from a mag has to say, it's your money and your review that counts...

My .02 HP...
I wouldn't base a purchase on a magazine review only. And yes I would drive them both first and make my own decision.