Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
87irocz
Intermediate Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman1346 View Post
My 85 Z28 had t-tops. They leaked when i bought it and they leaked when I sold her. I tried every quick fix i could find on the internet. Hell, me and my Dad even used that sealant for fishtanks and nothing.

As much as I loved them, I hated them at the same time.

I even declined getting the sunroof with the experiences I had with t-tops.
My first new car was a 87 Iroc Z with T-tops. I had it from 87 till 95 and never had a problem with the T-tops leaking. I guess you must have had a lemon.
87irocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #16
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I worked for GM back in the early 80's when they brought out the T-Tops. They were a royal pain! GM wanted us to advise customers to only hand wash the cars. They couldn't take them through a car wash or they would leak and never seal again. I was a mechanic and the time we spent trying to get people's T-tops to seal again was time wasted! As Haloman1346 says...we tried everything! Nothing worked to keep them from leaking. I, personally, can not see GM doing something like that again, when they know it was a mistake back then. They are out to make a name for themselves again. They don't need consumers cussing them out for messing up again.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #17
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamimatt View Post
If i had a mullet yes. lol
Or a Mohawk?
Attached Images

DerbyChamp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #18
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
I worked for GM back in the early 80's when they brought out the T-Tops. They were a royal pain! GM wanted us to advise customers to only hand wash the cars. They couldn't take them through a car wash or they would leak and never seal again. I was a mechanic and the time we spent trying to get people's T-tops to seal again was time wasted! As Haloman1346 says...we tried everything! Nothing worked to keep them from leaking. I, personally, can not see GM doing something like that again, when they know it was a mistake back then. They are out to make a name for themselves again. They don't need consumers cussing them out for messing up again.
Ummm...GM rolled out T-Tops in 68 with the introduction of the C3s. They hit the F-Bodies in 77 for the Firebirds and 78 for the Camaros. Certainly wasn't "new" technology for the 80s.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
I for one am going to miss 'em!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #20
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Ummm...GM rolled out T-Tops in 68 with the introduction of the C3s. They hit the F-Bodies in 77 for the Firebirds and 78 for the Camaros. Certainly wasn't "new" technology for the 80s.
My mistake, you are quite correct. The younger guys in the shop at the time thought of it as "new" and I was thinking of them as I wrote that. Thank you for correcting me. Upon further contemplation I will say that I feel the T-tops looked great! If they could be improved upon so they did not leak at the first sign of rain or washing, I think GM would have a hit!
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #21
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
I love them on my 3rd-gen (it only leaks if the seals get wet) and even more on my 4th gen...those never leaked and the T-top rack in the trunk was awesome. Nowadays T-tops are associated with Camaro's redneck/mullet image, so I'm OK with them not being an option, but I wish they had done a targa top like the Vette has instead. Sunroof does nothing for me, personally, because it's too far back...you don't get that open-air feel.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #22
lnsjr1

Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
No, I had 2 Z's with the t-tops, I can count on one hand how many times they were off.
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #23
91CamaroRS

Drives: Toyota Corolla, Ford Edge
I used to have a 3rd gen with t-tops, I loved them then. But now,for this car I think a targa top could be an option. I don't like them with a sunroof.
91CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote