Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Bad exhaust control valves?

Has anyone else had issues with the exhaust control valves not closing all the way? I took it to the dealership today because of a very slight "tinging"/"rattle" noise from under the car. It only happens on take offs from a stop, hit 10-15mph it stops making the noise. Dealer said the valves do not completely close causing the flapper valve to vibrate at take off. Per dealer " no fix" at this time, sent to GM Engeneering.

Just wanted to know if anyone noticed/ has this issue. I know I could remove the valves completely and it would solve the problem but I think the issue should be fix correctly.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
No problems here ... Does it only happen during slow acceleration?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
The valves are open until 1000 rpm's so he has it backwards. The Vettes have the same 'rattle' problem and I've heard the Billy Boat system do it as well. Needs a very light spring installed to take up the slack and stop the rattle but not hinder valve operation.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Yes only at slow acceleration. I thought it was a loose heat guard. You can really tell when the vehicle is in an enclosed area, you can't miss it then.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I notice a similar sound coming from mine after I start it up in my garage. I havent tried to figure out where it was coming from. Kind of a metallic pinging type of sound.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...not sure what you are referring to. Hope you get satisfaction or resolve to the issue. I would like to ad my car makes more noise than a Fourth of July backyard barbeque party at times. I've had a an intermittant rattle in the tail end underneath the car at idle after start up...similar to what you decribe, as if it's in the exhaust, S/C rattling like "mables" at times, creaking, moaning and groaning with the rear axle, belt/pulley noise, syncho's'/forks or mainhshaft noise at low speed, ...eveything comes and goes. It's the nature of the Beast I think....if it becomes persistant and regular to to an everyday situation or does not go away or it gets worse than I would say it is a problem.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 06-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...the car is not your Dad's <or Grand Dad's> Impala....<pure sarcasim> Seriously, HP cars burp, fart, groan and moan..... and from my personal perspective this is the bona fide deal..., but, we need a stage two HP upgrade Chevy..., pulley, CAI, flash tune.....PLEASE!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
wyoming zl1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
Has anyone else had issues with the exhaust control valves not closing all the way? I took it to the dealership today because of a very slight "tinging"/"rattle" noise from under the car. It only happens on take offs from a stop, hit 10-15mph it stops making the noise. Dealer said the valves do not completely close causing the flapper valve to vibrate at take off. Per dealer " no fix" at this time, sent to GM Engeneering.

Just wanted to know if anyone noticed/ has this issue. I know I could remove the valves completely and it would solve the problem but I think the issue should be fix correctly.
Are you talking about the flap in the back that opens at full throttle? If so just pull the fuse. I pulled mine after 150 miles and i wont be putting it back, sounds awesome with out it.
wyoming zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote