Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
spurscar

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS A6
Exclamation My new tire saga...

Decided on replacing the OEM Pirelli tires (29K on them and near bald) with Nitto Motivo tires based on many of the reviews here. Seemed like an impossible win-win combo of a 560 treadwear with 60K warranty and good grip but a good number of people reported just that.

Let me preface the saga by saying they're right... these things grip as well as the original tires do dry. I haven't run in the rain yet but don't exactly go crazy in the rain in general anyway. Tires look nice, pretty much like the Pirellis from the side so nothing odd there either.

Found them at my local Tire Kingdom for a reasonable price - $1,077 for the 4 tires installed, mounted, balanced, TPMS, etc. Little sticker shock but the Michelins convinced me these were priced pretty well.

After the install I got home and noticed the tires sat odd on the rims. Some were out further than the rims, some bowed inward where the rim was the furthest point out. Realized on passenger rear there was a 245/45 and the passenger front got the 275/40 - oops.

Go back and they fix it... quickly... too quickly meaning they just took the wheels off and swapped front to back. Which by the time I got home made me realize that I bet they didn't know there were 8" wide rims in the front and 9" wide rims in the back of these cars.

Sure enough, 245/45's were mounted on the 9" wide rims and put on the front of the car and the 275/40's were on the 8" rims on the rear axle.

So, back again and explained and they took all the tires off and put them on the proper rims and put the proper rims on the front and back axles. So all's well right?

Nope, in the haste of fixing that issue they didn't bother re-balancing the tires when they swapped them to the other rims. So, above 70mph the whole car shook.

Third time ended up being a charm, right tires on right rims and balanced now. Still love the tires, frustrating experience. Especially since their all plastic tire mounting machine also put a nice fine scratch around the circumference of each rim on every spoke. Now I've rashed them a little here and there on curbs at meters myself so nbd, glad I didn't go in there with nice perfect rims.

The shop was very apologetic and nice and did give me a note for turning the rotors for me for free when I go to do brakes here soon since the car is shaking when I brake from speed. Dying to get those OEM pads off and put ceramic on anyway because the dusting is crazy with the factory pads.

TL;DR: Make sure tire shops know the tire sizes are offset and directional and that the rear rims are larger than the front on your SS.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
And you're going to take your car back to those idiots and let them work on the brake system??? You're the one that's
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
spurscar

No, I'm going to bring in just rotors and let their machine turn them then take them back home and put them back on the car.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I wouldn't trust them even for that!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Why would you waste the effort?? Just get new rotors. All turning them does is make them warp faster than they did originally.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
I took my 13 to Tire Kingdom to have my Continental tires installed and these guys were phenomenal.I had a set of Bravado wheels on the car that came from my previous Camaro and they took their time and did not leave one mark on the rim and the balance was perfect.

Now on the other hand I had gone to another Tire Kingdom and they had gorillas working on tire mounts and it showed.Long story short they ended up buying me 2 new wheels.Its a crap shoot with Tire Kingdom but one thing I did notice the shop that did a phenomenal job the waiting room and garage area was very clean.The gorilla shop was kind of grungy in both areas.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
spurscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Why would you waste the effort?? Just get new rotors. All turning them does is make them warp faster than they did originally.
Good point, didn't think about that. If they warped this easily brand new they'll go even quicker next time. I'll have to start looking around for a good source for rotors.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscar View Post
No, I'm going to bring in just rotors and let their machine turn them then take them back home and put them back on the car.
I I we're you , I would take the rotors to that shop on this , just in case
Attached Images

oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscar View Post
Good point, didn't think about that. If they warped this easily brand new they'll go even quicker next time. I'll have to start looking around for a good source for rotors.
Dont go there for anything. American tire pro's gouged my stock rims in the same manner that happened to you. These type places just dont care, and they sell custom rims so they should! And dont let them getwawy with it, I made my place fix my rims. They machined them and re clear coated the ones that were screwed up.That costs about $150 each to do.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote