Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #43
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
I dunno i think the Ford F150 is quite ugly for a truck Dodge looks the best but is pretty bad in reliability Chevy/Gmc looks good performs good and still is reliable as well. Ive always like the Chevys as i am a chevy man but i hope they come out with something competitive engine wise cause Ecoboost is no joke maybe a Diesel options i know u have the engine already Gm just release the trucks with that and then u will see the sales.
Dodge unrelaibale? please tell my nearly 200k Dakota that.......
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #44
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Dodge unrelaibale? please tell my nearly 200k Dakota that.......
ONE truck does not make a pattern...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #45
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
Since when.........a lot has changed since the 80-90's.

The 3rd and 4th gen Ram's are reliable as heck and dang near bullet proof according to the Four Wheeler magazines that beat the tar out of their long term testers. I was a lube tech for about a year and most GM trucks felt sloppy and in serious need of repairs once they hit 115,000 miles, and much sooner if lifted. Sure they feel great when brand new but wear out quickly.

My dad got a new Ram back in 2008 when they were offering it with a free lifetime power train warranty and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. All he does is put gas in it and change the oil regularly if you catch my drift.
for most folks 115,000 miles isn't really quickly...
Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #46
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
My 2008 89K mile Dodge truck has been pretty good. Only issues have been rear brake rotors warping (but at ~60k miles, not that unusual) and a persistant check engine light due to a minor leak in the fuel evap system that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. Otherwise, no complaints (ok....gas mileage sucks, but it IS a truck...).

I have no real preference when it comes to trucks. I got my current truck for a steal (shop truck that had slight hail damage). It just happened to be a Dodge.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #47
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
ONE truck does not make a pattern...
My brother's R/T is the same, know quite a few people that have them, and have had MANY Chrysler products that have been reliable, I am sure 1 is probably more experience than the person who posted they are unreliable has had anyways........
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #48
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
My 2008 89K mile Dodge truck has been pretty good. Only issues have been rear brake rotors warping (but at ~60k miles, not that unusual) and a persistant check engine light due to a minor leak in the fuel evap system that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. Otherwise, no complaints (ok....gas mileage sucks, but it IS a truck...).

I have no real preference when it comes to trucks. I got my current truck for a steal (shop truck that had slight hail damage). It just happened to be a Dodge.
From what I have seen you cannot really go wrong with any of the big 3 trucks, they all seem to be pretty damned reliable.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #49
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
If your a dyed in the wool brand loyal person then nothing will change your mind and you will make excuses to cover the short comings..

However I am not and neither is my wife and when we tried out the F150 eco, Ram hemi and GMC and also a Tundra and I can say without a doubt the F150 FX4 won me over the rest by a large margin.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #50
Stew

I think my favorite fullsizer right now is easily the Raptor, would love to see that truck with the ecoboost in it!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #51
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
Sounds like you had some reliability issues with the chevy?

Correct. An alternator at 50,000 miles? Thats just unreal to me. A broken pushrod at 59,000 miles, that is unheard of.

Granted all of these things got done under the warranty but still.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #52
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
OP. Im not sure how much towing capacity you need or all that but if I were to recomend one and only one truck to my best friend in the world it would be the Ecoboost F-150. They pretty much have EVERYTHING going for them.

-MPG
-Reliability is great so far
-The truck has good looks
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #53
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
When my Uncle visited his brother and drove his F-150, he came home and ordered one for himself. This from a man who has to get the fire department out with the jaws of life to open his wallet.

This ^

one of my dad's oldest friends is one of the biggest GM/Chevy guys I have ever met in my life. Always drove Chevy's, Always had Chevy trucks too. When my dad had his F-250, his buddy came over and took it for a test drive around the block bc my dad kept telling him he should look at a Ford for his next truck. After they got back he drove right to the local Ford dealer and ordered a F-350 that day. Now hes a Ford Truck guy, but still GM at heart hahaha.

As far as teh ecoboost goes I have heard both. I have heard some people are getting bad mileage with it, but majority of those people also say they cant keep their foot off the accelerator lol. The general consensus with the ecoboost that I have heard is great mileage for DD, plenty of power and torque, and the only time the mileage is bad is when you are towing.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #54
camarofreak

Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Once i'm able to get a new truck i think i going to really consider a f-150 now.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #55
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
I went the other way. Got an Ecoboost f-150 for the weekend, was going to order one. Then I tried a Silverado 6.2 and bought it.

Didn't care much for the interior on the f-150, too space age looking.
Couldn't order an F-150 the way I wanted it. Did not like the fx4 package, all flat black trim, ugh. The lariat has the ugliest wood grain I've ever seen, and If I wanted the options I wanted, that was the interior I'd get.

Silverado is the best looking full size truck. I've got 8,000 miles on it now and no complaints. No rattles either. And BTW, I love love love the exhaust sound on this. A real nice growl.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #56
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
You just have to be open. Thats the main problem I see with truck buyers. You have the people that wont consider a Chevy over a Ford or vice versa. Personally I think the Sierra is the best looking truck, but it doesnt have the features I would want in a truck if i was in the market.

Put a Sierra exterior + F-150 everything else = perfect truck IMO hahaha
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote