Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #99
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Yea it's hit or miss around here. last year there was minimal snow but about 3 years ago there was a big storm that hit

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB
FY_Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #100
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I'm assuming your going for a 14 ZL1?
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #101
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
OK so Im worried too.

Should I buy this or *something else?
--- Ring Automotive Ltd 1kg Abc Dry Powered Fire Extinguisher Ce And Bsi Approved http://bit.ly/12yJrd7

Where is the best place to mount it?
In cabin I would assume?
But where?
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #102
camaro-heater
22 years of slammin gears

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
OK so Im worried too.

Should I buy this or *something else?
--- Ring Automotive Ltd 1kg Abc Dry Powered Fire Extinguisher Ce And Bsi Approved http://bit.ly/12yJrd7

Where is the best place to mount it?
In cabin I would assume?
But where?
Have mine mounted right here, perfect spot.
Attached Images

Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Tuned by: Boost Performance 550rwhp/538tq.
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
camaro-heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #103
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Thanks camaro-heater :-)
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #104
camaro-heater
22 years of slammin gears

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
No problem!
Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Tuned by: Boost Performance 550rwhp/538tq.
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
camaro-heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #105
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Thank you much man. Well I've got an order for a AGM ZL1 with Becky - no turning back now.
Best color. I'm going to be very jealous if you go the stealth look with it.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #106
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Time for the curmudgeon in me to come out.

Engine bay fires are extremely dangerous. Opening the hood to use a fire extinguisher is more dangerous. Never, never feed a fire air. Unless you have an automatic fire suppression system under hood it is going to burn down. Get out of the car and run to safety.

Burning cars feel no pain.
It is not unusual for people with their clothing in flames to beg for death to end the pain.

There are quite a few first responders in here. Please speak up.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #107
ZooDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Engine bay fires are extremely dangerous. Opening the hood to use a fire extinguisher is more dangerous. Never, never feed a fire air. Unless you have an automatic fire suppression system under hood it is going to burn down. Get out of the car and run to safety.

It is not unusual for people with their clothing in flames to beg for death to end the pain.

I am in total agreement with Pete on this. No car is worth the pain of burns or even death. There is always tomorrow and another car.

ZooDad

Sent via Tapatalk
ZooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #108

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
OK, Pete...lol...Personally I've never seen a small fire-extinguisher "save" a car from an engine fire....(Maybe in the old days an air-filter could be put out from a back-fire...lol)....Best thing is stop in a safe area, if possible, turn off the ignition, call 911...odds are you won't be able to open the hood anyways...One of the first things to get ruined in a fire is the hood cable...

Numerous times I've seen several extinguishers used on car fires from the pd, good samaritans, etc....all laying on the ground expended and the fire still going...

Grab it and use it if you want, but get your passengers and yourself out of the car and a safe distance away first....Additionally, I wouldn't lay it horizontally....if they sit long enough, the nozzle gets clogged from the powder seeping out ever so slightly...

If anything it's more dangerous having a pressurized "can" in the cabin anyway...a passenger kicks the handle or whatever, and you got a huge mess on your hands...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #109
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Congrats on the ZL1! Are you planning on modding to the extent of your last Camaro?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #110
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:

Pete's spot on with this. Let's say I had had a fire extinguisher - I still wouldn't have opened the hood. Not only because it will feed the fire, but you run the risk of flashover when you open the hood.

It'd be use to contain/slow down the fire until everyone who was in the car was safely out.

But I'll tell you, as will any EMT/fire-fighter/paramedic; your own safety first, then the patient's.

Now, if I had the money to buy one of those fancy automated fire suppression systems (and the car was modded enough to where I could justify the cost), absolutely would I install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Congrats on the ZL1! Are you planning on modding to the extent of your last Camaro?
On a lighter note - thank you everyone for the well wishes and congrats. I'll more than likely be keeping the ZL1 90% stock (performance wise I mean) - besides a catch can and cold air intake I am pretty sure they only performance mods will some Pedders red to help me with the twisties
Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #111
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
CONGRATS!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #112
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

Agreed. Open that hood to try to put out a fire and VOOM! You are now on fire yourself...with your clothes burning ON your skin.

But fire extinguishers (even outside the engine compartment) can save lives.

Just today.

Just today...

Major accident in front of the North Sub. It'll be on the news for sure. Two vehicle head on. One guy in one car already DOA. People in the other car were trapped and needed the jaws of life to get them out. First responders (police were there first) pulled their extinguishers since a fire had started in one of the cars (believe it was the decedents car). Officer is on the radio yelling for more extinguishers. Other officers arrive and put out the flames....resulting in the lives of those of the vehicle who were struck by the guy being saved.

no...there was no need to pry open the hood. There basically was no hood. In a situation like this, yes...fire extinguishers are a blessing. In a situation where you are driving down the road and up in flames, get out....don't open that hood. Either a supression system should be in place or it just ain't worth it.

Accident where cars are mangled and it doesn't matter? An extinguisher WILL save a life....or two like today.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, build thread, fireball, gen5diy, pedders, the stig, zl1