Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 01-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Summer vs All-Season vs No Tires?

It's been 5 weeks since I got my Camaro, so today is the first time I'm dealing with Portland icey conditions. It's clear I'm not going anywhere, even with new Summer tires. Would all-season tires have helped today? Or would I be staying home regardless?

I live in a condo, so I don't have the storage space for Summer & Winter tires. I'll make the investment in all-season tires, if they'll make a significant difference. I simply wish to first get some input from other Camaro owners.

Thank you.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
MuIIet

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
It's been 5 weeks since I got my Camaro, so today is the first time I'm dealing with Portland icey conditions. It's clear I'm not going anywhere, even with new Summer tires. Would all-season tires have helped today? Or would I be staying home regardless?

I live in a condo, so I don't have the storage space for Summer & Winter tires. I'll make the investment in all-season tires, if they'll make a significant difference. I simply wish to first get some input from other Camaro owners.

Thank you.
I didn't even bother trying to drive my car. Summer tires will basically be useless. All season tires would have given you more traction, but still may end up hopeless in certain situations. The safest bet is to stay home or carpool. I had someone pick me up today for safety
MuIIet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuIIet View Post
I didn't even bother trying to drive my car. Summer tires will basically be useless. All season tires would have given you more traction, but still may end up hopeless in certain situations. The safest bet is to stay home or carpool. I had someone pick me up today for safety
Yeah, I'm trying to decide if I should get rid of tires with only 1,000 miles to purchase all-season performance tires. It's only worthwhile if it'll prevent me from taking public transportation each time there's snow and/or ice on the roads... that'll get old fast.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
I have just received my BF Goodrich all season tires. I bought them used and they look really nice. I haven't put them on yet but a lot of people have been really happy with them. I think they are G forces super comp 2.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
azrickster

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM 6M #38916
I drove my SS in Portland with the summer Pirelli's and it was pretty scary - virtually no grip. I got a set of Nitto Motivo's, they're considered all season - although I would never drive in the snow. In very low temps, the Camaro still handles like the Pirelli's do in the summer.
azrickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
wvyankee2

Drives: 2017 LT Turbo/6Man.
Just got my 15 RS and I will be driving it in the snow. Dealer threw in a new set of 18" wheels and all season tires off a 16 LT to use in the winter. Will be checking it out here in a couple days. Snow is on the way....

Name:  Camaro1.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  138.1 KB

wvyankee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrickster View Post
I drove my SS in Portland with the summer Pirelli's and it was pretty scary - virtually no grip. I got a set of Nitto Motivo's, they're considered all season - although I would never drive in the snow. In very low temps, the Camaro still handles like the Pirelli's do in the summer.
What did you do with the original tires?
I went to Discount Tire & they offered a great price on a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season. The issue was that they offered crap for the original ones, which had about 300 miles.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvyankee2 View Post
Sweet color, especially with the stripes.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by owhite3003 View Post
I have just received my BF Goodrich all season tires. I bought them used and they look really nice. I haven't put them on yet but a lot of people have been really happy with them. I think they are G forces super comp 2.
These are good tires. I've driven them in snow a few times now and they perform very well. Never felt unsafe.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
These are good tires. I've driven them in snow a few times now and they perform very well. Never felt unsafe.
Cool, thanks for the input.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote