Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
bumblebee123

Drives: Fast & the Furious
Muscle Car w/ Automatic

I've pre-ordered an automatic transmission due to I can't drive manual. Now my friends that I told about it is telling me I should get a manual due to no point of getting a sports car that's automatic. Does anyone feel this way?
bumblebee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Yes, lots of people feel that way. But the auto is better suited to being a daily driver. I'm still not sure what I'll be ordering.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Not with the newer autos'. I think the differences in times and performance are getting less. Add a few mods' to an auto', like a tune and stall, and a manual car will be hard-pressed to pull away from an auto' I don't think anyone can argue a stick is faster; but that auto' with tuning, a stall, and some drag radials will pull your head off your shoulders. If you've ever ran a sub-1.6 60', you'll know what I'm talking about.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
bumblebee123

Also everyone saying if your not going to drive it everyday to get a manual. Now I'm kinda worried due to I live in a hilly place and that's the hardest part for me when the car is stop on a hill. Is it true that newer cars this says have some sort of function like an automatic that it wont roll back even though its manual?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Yeah... I did the same thing dude... I ordered the manual because people always say that a sports car should always have three pedals...

I say its BS... dont let them get on your ass about it...

the Auto is JUST AS FAST as the manual... plus... if you ever take it auto crossing or drag racing.... the auto is just easier to manage. less shit to think about... I have an auto suby right now, and brother let me tell you. its better to be worried about my entrance into a turn rather then if i'm in the right gear or not.

Stick with the auto... its just as good.
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I would take some lessons on how to drive a manual. Not knowing how is not a good reason to spend extra money on an auto V8. You have to compare the two before making a decision and believe me, you will change your mind real quick and order a manual once you realize how much more fun it is driving. Plus, the V8 manual will be much harder to stall than your average six banger because of its Horse Power so I wouldn't worry too much about that either when learning. Not saying the auto V8 won't have punch and not be fun, however if you are getting an auto, you might as well buy the V6 instead and save even more on gas since the driving will feel similar..
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
bumblebee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Not with the newer autos'. I think the differences in times and performance are getting less. Add a few mods' to an auto', like a tune and stall, and a manual car will be hard-pressed to pull away from an auto' I don't think anyone can argue a stick is faster; but that auto' with tuning, a stall, and some drag radials will pull your head off your shoulders. If you've ever ran a sub-1.6 60', you'll know what I'm talking about.
I'm not going to race or anything but what i feel is its losing the macho factor of it being a muscle car right?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I see both sides to this, but for me personally I just cannot drive anything with an automatic. I was raised on stick, and I'll never own an automatic.

I know the sportshift on the Camaro is supposed to be very good, but if you really want a rewarding experience order the manual and in the mean time learn how to drive it.

I never hear of someone getting a car with a stick and then regreting it later saying "I wish I would have gotten it with an automatic"....... I do hear people regret buying an auto and wish they had the stick.

Again, it's all personal preference, but I would just urge you to consider how much more fun it is to do your own shifting with a clutch than to have the computer do it for you. Yes, I know the manual mode on the sportshift does everything you can do with a stick, but the driving experience is not the same.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee123 View Post
I'm not going to race or anything but what i feel is its losing the macho factor of it being a muscle car right?
Since you've only driven an automatic, you don't know how much more power you feel and have with a manual. Yes both cars will gt to 0-60 at practically the same speed, however you will feel the shift points more and the rumble while holding the clutch as you get to 60 or more.. This is what makes the manual more fun. Once you step on the gas in an auto (even with the paddle shifters) it feels detached in a way in comparison.. In a manual, you drive the car, in an auto, the car drives itself..
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
bumblebee123

My main concern is living in a hilly place. Is it true that newer cars these days have same function as automatic that it wont roll back even though its a manual transmission?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee123 View Post
Also everyone saying if your not going to drive it everyday to get a manual. Now I'm kinda worried due to I live in a hilly place and that's the hardest part for me when the car is stop on a hill. Is it true that newer cars this says have some sort of function like an automatic that it wont roll back even though its manual?
Don't rely on that. I'm not sure if the Camaro will have it or not. I know BMWs do.

If you know anyone with a manual gracious enough to let you learn on their car, take advantage of that. Eventually, you will get good enough on even 7% grades that you won't have to worry about rolling backwards. It will become second nature just like anything else when you drive.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Since you've only driven an automatic, you don't know how much more power you feel and have with a manual. Yes both cars will gt to 0-60 at practically the same speed, however you will feel the shift points more and the rumble while holding the clutch as you get to 60 or more.. This is what makes the manual more fun. Once you step on the gas in an auto (even with the paddle shifters) it feels detached in a way in comparison.. In a manual, you drive the car, in an auto, the car drives itself..
Exactly.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
seeknay2000

Drives: 1978 Z28, 1987 Suburb
If you're talking performance (and you said you hadn't planned on racing) you're not going to know the difference.

BUT - I think you're not focused on performance point of view. IMO manual is way more fun - I feel like I have a lot more control with the car. Having said that
1) starting with a manual in a hilly place is a little harder.
2) Your friend is wrong. Although I think most people who enjoy muscle or sports cars love to drive manual, you don't have to.
3) If you do get manual I suggest buying a cheap used car that has manual - this way you can practice and more importantly see if you really like it. You may fall in love with it - and the last thing you'd want to do is buy a brand new 2010 camaro then regret it everyday you didn't buy a manual.

by the way - if you can't afford another car, even a cheap one to practice on, rent a car. My first camaro was auto - I absolutely loved it! But I also wished every day it was a manual - so I rented a car a couple of times took it out to the country and learned how to drive stick. It's a cheap way to learn how to drive manual and see if you like it.

and besides, an automatic camaro is still probably 10X better whatever your friend is driving!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
TheCavalry
Here it comes

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS, '02 Lancer OZ
I've never heard of a manual that doesn't roll back on a hill. That would be kind of wack. Little things like that are what make driving a manual fun. I don't think I'll ever get an auto car. Plus I get really confused when I drive an auto. I was driving an auto rental car one time going from El Paso to Phoenix and there was a Semi merging from an overpass and I was gonna slow down to let him on. So I went to step on the clutch. BAD IDEA. I stepped on the brake and damn near went off the road. Autos suck lol. Get what you want though. A Camaro is a Camaro either way!

Ordered IBM 1SS 20" Polished Wheels

You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy? - Jason Kavanagh
TheCavalry is offline   Reply With Quote