Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
AChrisS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2 RS
SCT X3 Tuner?

Ok, so I have a 2011 Camaro SS2/RS and I am looking for a tuner/programer for it. I saw on here that someone was using the SCT X3 flash tuner on his 2010 Camaro SS2 and I am looking for advice on ones to get/not get. I was looking at EFILive but that one is $900 and I have a friend that doesnt think it is that good.

Any advice or suggestions will be very helpful, Thanks.
AChrisS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
I dont think the SCT X3 was designed to compete with EFILive.

X3 is a handheld device that reads your car's stock tune and supports applying canned or custom tunes you purchase from an SCT dealer. It lets you adjust a few minor parameters like tire size/mph and temperature the fans come on. A comparable product is the Predator.

EFILive is more of a development tool that lets you tinker with a whole lot of tuning parameters like how much fuel to inject and timing at rpms, shift points, etc.
Another product in the same league as EFILive is HPTuners. These two are not designed for casual programmers.

So what to get? You need to know what's your target performance and what is your budget?
The handhelds with built in canned tunes are the cheapest and easiest to use. Of course they offer minor power gains.
Next, add a custom tune from your SCT dealer and you will see better gains.
Finally, if you want to tackle developing your own tune, then EFILive HPTuners are the way to go. This approach is the most work and cost, and in the end yield the best power gains. This is also handy for when you add some mods to your car.

I chose to go the SCTx3 route and bought a custom tune from Jannetty. I dont have time to learn EFILive, nor do I care to. I would rather spend my time hanging out at the pool, and leave the tuning to the pros.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
programmer, sct, sct x3, sct x3 tuner, tuner