Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #435
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
Its the base kit with the upgrade bearings turbo.
I am planning on looking in to using E-85. I am not sure if that will work. I don't know if the fuel volume can be changed to work or not. But it would be great if it could be worked out.
I do have a friend using it with an Older Camaro that has 14:1 compression and it works great as long as you get the summer blend. I know that is carburetor, and I am planning on converting my Chevelle to E-85 to because it is cheap, will work with the high compression (13:1) and cools too.
Scrming, I will let you know when I am going. I plan to go to Edmore, (Midmichigan motorplex) though. Its closer to me.
Before you go E85, do you plan on doing base and boosted dyno runs on pump gas? I'm just hoping so in an effort to limit variables.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #436
Rdditten

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2LT RS, STS TURBO
Send a message via AIM to Rdditten Send a message via Yahoo to Rdditten
Yes, I won't be doing anything with E-85 until everything has been documented with regular pump gas. I will try to keep it same, same as much as possible. Fill up the car just before the strip times. Same station, same gas, etc. I want to keep everything as similar as possible.
Scrming, I am hoping to go to Test and tune Wed after work. Depends on the weather of course. Bring your car and lets go.
Rdditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #437
Z Madness

Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
Yes, I won't be doing anything with E-85 until everything has been documented with regular pump gas. I will try to keep it same, same as much as possible. Fill up the car just before the strip times. Same station, same gas, etc. I want to keep everything as similar as possible.
Scrming, I am hoping to go to Test and tune Wed after work. Depends on the weather of course. Bring your car and lets go.
Did you guys make it to the track last week?
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #438
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Did you guys make it to the track last week?
Rich made it out to the track on Sunday... I was stuck at work! ARGH! Rich was out to get a good baseline... I know he got some runs in but not sure how he ended up... This was the first time he at the 2010 to the track...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #439
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
I was looking at the SAE papers on the 3.6L SIDI V6 yesterday. Interested in how much headroom was in the stock fuel injectors and fuel pump. The fuel pump has a bit of range in it,and the SAE paper even mentions turbocharging. By my math, there should be enough high pressure fuel pump for about 550 hp at the engine. I haven't figured out the fuel injectors yet. DI is a bit different with the fuel injector calculation. The SAE papers mention a few different styles of injector, even a few flow rates, but I didn't see a duty cycle that I could figure out.
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #440
Remhe

Drives: Hope to Purchase Soon $ :(
550! That would be amazing!
Remhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #441
merritr
GM Enginerd

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS
Sean of Team Stillen and I will sit down this weekend and do some calculating on the duty cycle of the injectors. I know what they can flow and the pulse width. I just need to plug in the numbers for the desired fuel amounts to achieve certain power levels at high RPMs in order to see where it maxes out.
merritr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #442
Z Madness

Sean, Have you looked at the MAF by any chance? We are having issues with the MAF reading the correct airflow at higher boost. I don't think fuel is an issue at this point but we are definately having problems with the ECM reading the airflow properly (at>5 psi). Also, have you looked into the tuning of the ECM yourselves or are you working with someone else? Lingenfelter was concerned that they wanted more horsepower out of their system and I suspect they gave up due to problems with safefully increasing the boost. Also, the Leno car only had about 360+ish (I forgot what the actual number was) on their twin turbo so I would suspect they couldn't crank up the boost as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #443
Team STILLEN

Quote:
Sean, Have you looked at the MAF by any chance? We are having issues with the MAF reading the correct airflow at higher boost. I don't think fuel is an issue at this point but we are definately having problems with the ECM reading the airflow properly (at>5 psi). Also, have you looked into the tuning of the ECM yourselves or are you working with someone else? Lingenfelter was concerned that they wanted more horsepower out of their system and I suspect they gave up due to problems with safefully increasing the boost. Also, the Leno car only had about 360+ish (I forgot what the actual number was) on their twin turbo so I would suspect they couldn't crank up the boost as well.
I have not looked at the GM V-6 MAF. However, I have dealt with a lot of different MAF's over the years in forced induction cars. Modern MAF's, and intake systems are very finicky. They can be tuned/parts changed around, but sometimes its complicated to figure out those issues.

Some of the problem's may be fundamentally tied to how the STS turbo charger works, blowing across a MAF that generally is only on a negative pressure side. It might require some rethinking for this car.

DI requires some rethinking, I have been interested in DI for a long time, and I enjoy studying it. More power, lower octane. Its really a win, win situation. However on the aftermarket side, it does make things a little more difficult, but if it was easy, everyone would do it. I try and embrace the newer technology and figure it out rather than just go the route of some people, and get rid of it.

As far as the ECU tuning goes. I know people that have access to stuff that a lot of other people might not.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #444
Z Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STILLEN View Post
I have not looked at the GM V-6 MAF. However, I have dealt with a lot of different MAF's over the years in forced induction cars. Modern MAF's, and intake systems are very finicky. They can be tuned/parts changed around, but sometimes its complicated to figure out those issues.

Some of the problem's may be fundamentally tied to how the STS turbo charger works, blowing across a MAF that generally is only on a negative pressure side. It might require some rethinking for this car.

DI requires some rethinking, I have been interested in DI for a long time, and I enjoy studying it. More power, lower octane. Its really a win, win situation. However on the aftermarket side, it does make things a little more difficult, but if it was easy, everyone would do it. I try and embrace the newer technology and figure it out rather than just go the route of some people, and get rid of it.

As far as the ECU tuning goes. I know people that have access to stuff that a lot of other people might not.
Thanks for the response, I sent you a PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #445
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
What about the MTI racing installed STS Camaro? That guy hasn't exactly been as vocal as we'd like him to be, but as far as I know he hasn't had issues with the MAF....or has he??

..and not that it matters, but I thought the Leno car was rated at 425HP.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #446
Z Madness

No problems with MAF at 5 psi. Problem occurs once I boost higher. Jim is staying with the 5 psi spring so he shouldn't have any issues. Hopefully he post up once he gets his 1/4 mile times.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #447
Team STILLEN

Quote:
No problems with MAF at 5 psi. Problem occurs once I boost higher. Jim is staying with the 5 psi spring so he shouldn't have any issues.
Do you know if its maxing out the MAF? How close to 5V's is the reading at 5 psi ? It might be pegged out. Might need some MAF cal, bigger housing, different MAF to read higher boost.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #448
xtreme industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
this is getting interesting. keep the info coming. i want to buy this kit but i need to know if the benifits are worth the cost. what 1/4 mile improvements are to be had, how high can we boost reliably (5psi just doesnt seem to be enough, 7-10 psi would be nice). make sure you guys keep us in the loop
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote