Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
Chevy Oil Changes or DIY??

I have coverage with Chevy for oil changes up to four years, since I bought my Camaro certified pre-owned. Did any of you use the oil changes in the warranty or just change the oil yourself? I've changed my own oil on my other cars, but since this is "free," I figure I may as well use it.

-Any idea what kind of oil they use?

-Can I ask for synthetic oil for extra charge?

-Am I fine just using what they have since I have the V-6?
(I know the V-6 only needs regular gas, so I figure the recommended oil is fine over synthetic? )
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
I'd take them up on that if it is truly 'free'. Your car holds 6 quarts of oil.

They probably use whatever your car came with. Yes, you can get anything you want for paying extra, as a matter of fact they will try to sell you everything extra under the sun.
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
bluebox

Drives: '12 1SS LS3 IBM/SIM
Put in it what the specs call for - if the six requires synthetic, they should put in synthetic. Not familiar with the cert pre-owned warranties, if they're dealer specific or GM-sponsored, but if you're getting free oil, go with it. If it doesn't need synthetic, I would cough up the extra for it on the 6 anyway, especially if you plan on keeping it for a long while... V8's take 8 quarts of it, and there's no compromising.

Now: Invo's on Nurburgs | Ext. Eng. catch can | heritage grille
Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
I would change my own so I could choose my own oil and filter...and know it was done properly...just keep Log of milage, what was used, and receipts

Sent from the front seat of the Amberlamps!
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
You've already paid for it so to speak, no sense in paying to do it yourself. I prefer to do it myself too but in this case let them do it. Just keep an eye on things. Make sure they confirm the right oil/weight. Try not to be a bother but keep them on their toes. They'll respect you for being proactive about your maintenance. I always stop and check for leaks after having someone else work on the car.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Why would you waste money and time doing your own when you have them for free?

Let them do it.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Personally, I like changing my own. I'd probably do it myself even if it was free. It'd be nice if they'd give you the oil and filter so you could DIY, but doubt they'd do that.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Seeing as its a DEALER, and its FREE, its a no brainer.....have them do it, and ensure they document it in your maintenance schedule in the back of your manual.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
If the dealer does it you have a record if there are ever any issues concerning warranty repair. If you take it to a Jiffy Lube, eh, maybe. If you do your own and have an oil related failure, you may have a fight with the warranty. This comes from someone i know who is an area rep for Nissan. Can't imagine GM is any different. Luckily, my dealer lets me provide my own oil and will change it for me while I watch.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Read the fine print on the paper work. Most "Free" oil changes I've seen is only for 5 quarts of cheap dino oil and filter. Anything over 5 quarts, they charge you for the extra oil. If you want synthetic oil they charge you full price of the oil and if I remember correctly, the dealer price for Mobil 1 is $9 a quart.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
lovatobarry

Drives: 2011 LT2 RS Red with White Stripes
I am sure they use dexos I, that is what the car requires, it is a synthetic blend, it is required to maintain the warranty, they will probably charge for a filter, hazordous materials, shop supplies, etc. All newer GM cars (gas) use dexos I, diesels use dexos II.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
WarWolfX0

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Manual
I have the same deal but i have a SS
they put in synthetic in my car and i think they change the filter every time too.
Only seen them once and they change it.
Dose your car have a mobile 1 oil cap?
btw they won't change the oil till the computer say 15% or lower
in my car that is around 7000 miles.
WarWolfX0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, oil