Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #71
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
this may be one of those times where we will just have to wait and see. i WILL ask the dealer about this before i get it...

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #72
SimC33

Drives: 2001 Blk/Blk M6 Camaro SS #899
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
this may be one of those times where we will just have to wait and see. i WILL ask the dealer about this before i get it...
You could ask the dealer about this before you get it, but realize...When you want a car, and you go look at it at the dealership, and the salesman comes up and starts spatting out all these specs and stuff about the car you want, I don't know about you but I tend to know a CRAP load more about that car than the salesman says. I've done my hw, I know the interior options, engine options...blah blah blah...I know other people have thought the same thing.

NOW, with me saying that. If our salesman are telling us the camaro comes out in 2010-2011 w/e and they don't know anything about it...what do you think they are gonna tell you about the break in? MY guess is that you'll get (in words) what the owner's manual says and he will save you some reading.

So its basically asking a baby to do advanced calculus with some thermodynamics thrown in as well...granted, there maybe dealers or salesman like camaro scotty that know what they are talking about...so lets hope when the release comes, our guys that we buy from will be much more educated on the car rather than telling me the name of the car, and what engine comes in it.

P.S.- I took my 4th gen to the Chevy dealership to have something looked at, and the lady that came up to my car at the service entrance asked me what my car was and who made it!!! WTF!?!?!?!
SimC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #73
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimC33 View Post
P.S.- I took my 4th gen to the Chevy dealership to have something looked at, and the lady that came up to my car at the service entrance asked me what my car was and who made it!!! WTF!?!?!?!
yea yea yea
you're right though, thanks for the tip.
I guess i should've rephrased my question to the dealer, simple:
"what kind of oil is in the damn thing!?"
lol

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #74
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Quote:
synthetic is more "lubey", if u may, and reduces friction much better than standard oil. This will counter the effectiveness of the break-in period by not allowing the piston ring seals to wear in properly.
"If the gas pressure is strong enough during the engine's first miles of operation (open that throttle !!!), then the entire ring will wear into the cylinder surface, to seal the combustion pressure as well as possible. "
-http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

the key is to "wear the rings into the cylinder surface", to seal as well as possible.
again, im no expert. but i've researched this for a bit and it makes perfect sense to me

anyone that knows more about this subect feel free to ring in!

Just saw this on GMPP's website: http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Parts/faq.jsp#faq8

8.)Can I use synthetic oil during break in of my new engine?

No, Petroleum based engine oil should always be used during the engine break-in period.

If this is the case, I would imagine GM would provide the car with non-synthetic oil when sold

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)

Last edited by playhard67; 10-07-2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: bold added
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #75
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
Just saw this on GMPP's website: http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Parts/faq.jsp#faq8

8.)Can I use synthetic oil during break in of my new engine?

No, Petroleum based engine oil should always be used during the engine break-in period.

If this is the case, I would imagine GM would provide the car with non-synthetic oil when sold
not just the ring to cylinder seating surface....also the ring grooves(top and bottom) in the piston to the rings. The lower ring land seats during acceleration and the upper ring land during decceleration. Thats the reason for accelerating at 1/2 throttle or so and then letting off and letting it coast down before doing it again. There are a lot of different ways to accomplish the break in procedure, but some are quicker than others.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #76
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
That's what I've done for my last 3 vehicles
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #77
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimC33 View Post
Quote:
and maybe even throw a magnet inside the oil filter to attract any loose metal debris that may harm the engine.

I've never heard of this, does that really work?
Magnetic oil plug. Oil filter tends to capture the metal frags well enough on its own, adding a magnet though wouldn't hurt. The magnetic oil plug captures the loose stuff that settles at the bottom of the oil pan
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #78
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
I'm doing a burnout out of the dealership, going straight to the dyno, then to the track.

break-ins on a manufactured car are mostly BS. the rings are set at the factory.

to break in a new motor doesn't take 500 miles, thats just BS. heat cycle it and run it through the rpms a few times and thats about it.
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #79
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Why can't you downshift during the first 500 miles?
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #80
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Yeah....whats up with that? Is down shifting really bad for break in?

I drove it easy for the first 500 miles almost never going over 3000 rpm....basically babying it. But now that I have 500 miles on it and after reading this thread I think I'm going to very the RPMs. I hope I didn't screw this up.

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #81
nassau97

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 97 Vette 91 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVY4LF View Post
From what i have heard, GM breaks in there motors before they are even placed in the vehicles, at least in the vettes, but its really more of a safety feeling for the driver but you should be able to drive it how you want right off the lot.
Well I left the lot sideways with the tires on fire so I guess it's broke in
nassau97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #82
bnsmith78

Drives: 2011 IOM SS Corsa/CAI
This is by far the best way to break in your Motor

Try this link - This guy knows his stuff and it works....WOW!!!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=break
bnsmith78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #83
hv92

Drives: .
I know that some of the guys here are sayng to drie it like you stole it, what about the gas mileage???
hv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #84
hv92

Drives: .
For instance, I have a 2011 camaro 2ss and it's an automatic. Iv had it for 245 miles so far, and yeah, I'm pullin 18 mpg. If I do the "punching the gas to letting it coast" method, wh at about my gas mileage?? Will it get better? Can I then keep it at steady speeds after the break in??
hv92 is offline   Reply With Quote