Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Medieval Peanut

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT2 RS
Exhaust/Header Help?

I listened to a number of the exhausts on youtube and the sound I favored was the Magna Flows (however I'm open to any suggestions still).

A little background. I'm not so much a car tech as driver. I might go to the track a couple of times while I own the car but that's one of the reason on why I don't get a supercharger is that for $5-10k, is it worth the investment for 2 trips to the track and to buy it for only messing around on the street/freeway isn't worth the risk or very practible for such an investment. I've bought intake and other items which are fun add-ons and give minor gain.

My first question is...what type of exhaust to get?

For example, I see this one, but it goes from the headers all the way out, and is $1600...is it worth that investment?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=42

This one is $600 less but what is the value of a little extra pipe in horsepower?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=43

On both they list:
Features and Benefits: Lifetime Warranty, Dyno Tested And Proven To Make Power, Performance Gains In Horsepower And Torque, Great Sound -Has A Smooth; Deep Tone, Easy To Install, Mandrel-Bent. All Welded. Built To Last.

but there are no Dyno sheets linked. Is it 10HP gain? is it 20HP gain for $600 more? Does it even matter for the V6?

The next part goes into the Headers, since I'm going to be under there for the exhaust does that really add to power? How much? would it make sense to save the $600 and instead buy headers?

thanks for the advice
Medieval Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
If maximum performance is what your primary goal is, you want the headers. You will gain a few horsepower with the cat back but the real power is made with the headers.

Again, if your looking for maximum performance gain you will want the cat back over the axle back. Axle backs are mostly for those who want their car to sound better, there isn't much extra power made.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Medieval Peanut

Ok, so looking up what folks post, it looks like exhaust is < 10HP gain, so regardless of whether I go with the axle or cat back its likely not going to matter for me, but I will save $600 going axleback, and for $700 it looks like I can get some headers which would net...30-40HP, +$100 for +30HP sounds good to me.

Unless anyone has feedback that would persuade me to drop $600 more (like the numbers I got being wrong)... I think I got my solution.

thanks!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
You got that right... Catback and Axle back are primarily for sound only...

but I'd be carefull with cheap headers... that's a pretty important piece....
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You got that right... Catback and Axle back are primarily for sound only...

but I'd be carefull with cheap headers... that's a pretty important piece....
I completely agree here. Cheap parts ususaly equals more problems later or having the trouble of an unprofessionally complete install. There will most always be something wrong or "not right" with the lesser quality/reproduction pieces.

This is YOUR Camaro!

The Cat/Axleback "hones" the final sound and makes it distinctive.

Check out the Doug Thorley Catback on the V6s...then give me a shout.

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Medieval Peanut

Regarding headers, the price I saw was just a general swag. Any suggestions? I'll take a look at the Doug Thorley info when I get back later.