Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #43
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Wait, WHAT?? You're saying that you can unhook the actuators, zip tie them up but still connected to the electronics, replace your x pipe on a A8 and there will be no codes??

WTH did someone go to the trouble of developing AFM delete modules or even go to the trouble of tuning out AFM if this was all that is needed?

I'm looking to replace my x pipe soon and this has been one of the questions I've had.
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #44
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
Wait, WHAT?? You're saying that you can unhook the actuators, zip tie them up but still connected to the electronics, replace your x pipe on a A8 and there will be no codes??

WTH did someone go to the trouble of developing AFM delete modules or even go to the trouble of tuning out AFM if this was all that is needed?

I'm looking to replace my x pipe soon and this has been one of the questions I've had.
Because it is a much cleaner solution.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #45
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
That makes sense Ted and thank you for the reply. So if one goes the route suggested by the above poster, is the end result still the same other than getting rid of the clunky actuators?

I'm new to this so I'm really trying to understand my options.
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #46
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Because it is a much cleaner solution.

Ted.
I agree might be cleaner Ted. But I love just doing stuff myself and saving a few bucks. Put these cars side by side and u could not tell a lick of difference unless u put them on a hoist and closely look.

More power to someone that figures out away to make money with a slicker answer to the question.

Parbreak the result is the same.

Info:
When I bought my car I thought I had research a lot about the car. I missed the part about turning a 8 cylinder into a four. I hate the AFM and it took a lot to get rid of it.

Went to manual mod a lot to get rid of the AFM but would always pop up went u went from manual to drive of vice versa. Starting the drive in manual, then I have a habit of slapping into drive when hitting the gas hard to pick up speed at a yellow light.

When I added my cam, and DOD deleted all components from the engine I still got got a check engine light even after HP tuner turned it off. So then when i finished my stainless steel 3 inch exhaust and totally got rid of everything including the values I still had a cell from AFM.

So, the next step was taking the electronic black part off the values and zip tieing it to a secure place and plugging it back in. After all these steps completed then finally I had no cells from AFM. I know others have said just turn AFM off in HP tuners and it worked for them, but not me.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver

Last edited by BlackbeastSS2; 10-11-2017 at 04:07 PM.
BlackbeastSS2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #47
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
That makes sense Ted and thank you for the reply. So if one goes the route suggested by the above poster, is the end result still the same other than getting rid of the clunky actuators?

I'm new to this so I'm really trying to understand my options.
Correct.

For me personally I have the modules on my car.

Black beast you have to decide what works best for you and what you want at the end of the day, I respect your option but it is not for me.

Ted.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #48
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Maybe I missed it how much is the AFM delete module? And what about the rattle as the valve is still there?
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #49
Zzzato
Bigg Balls

Drives: 2024 Red Hot 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Maybe I missed it how much is the AFM delete module? And what about the rattle as the valve is still there?

Yours rattles while its full open? Mine only has a weird noise when closed in V4.

Im curious if there is any long term affects to disabling the valve but not the AFM entirely since I am sure the valve is there for backpressure? Or is it just for sound purposes cause in V4 it doesn't sound to great?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #50
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzato View Post
Yours rattles while its full open? Mine only has a weird noise when closed in V4.

Im curious if there is any long term affects to disabling the valve but not the AFM entirely since I am sure the valve is there for backpressure? Or is it just for sound purposes cause in V4 it doesn't sound to great?
I thought about that to in regards to added back pressure. Since I started modding in 1976 I was always in the belief that the less back pressure the better the free flowing exhaust works for a more efficient engine and better power.

I was more worried ahout cutting out 4 cylinders and having 4 cylinders work the load even if it’s under a light load. Now with DOD delete and AFM totally gone I have no worries. Keep in mind this is mainly for a non stock set up. But a stock set up would totally benefit from no AFM with a true free flow exhaust will no values in the way even with them open full they still block the air flow.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #51
Zzzato
Bigg Balls

I just added some exhaust diverters and the feel is much different with the diverters open vs with just the NPP in track mode. Only issue is the AFM when kicking in kills all sound then with the flick of the pedal it unaturally returns. Might be best for me to go with a full afm delete tune vs just disabling the valves.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #52
JANNETTYRACING

The AFM valves and the NPP valves although they are the same part they're function and placement do 2 different things.

The AFM valves, this would be the ones located ahead of the axle, on a automatic cars, are there to control Drone while in 4 cylinder mode by creating a restriction.

The NPP valves are there to offer 2 different sound levels Touring and Track or quiet and loud.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #53
Zzzato
Bigg Balls

Quote:
The AFM valves and the NPP valves although they are the same part they're function and placement do 2 different things.

The AFM valves, this would be the ones located ahead of the axle, on a automatic cars, are there to control Drone while in 4 cylinder mode by creating a restriction.

The NPP valves are there to offer 2 different sound levels Touring and Track or quiet and loud.
so all those afm valves do is control drone? I might just pop the housing apart like black beast did and see how bad it is with the diverters.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #54
cncmotors

Drives: camaro
EFI doesn’t sell AFM Delete module any more? I need it for now since my old EFI module doesnt work properly.
cncmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #55
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmotors View Post
EFI doesn’t sell AFM Delete module any more? I need it for now since my old EFI module doesnt work properly.
We have some left in stock.

Ted.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #56
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
We have some left in stock.

Ted.
Did they stop making them? If so thats a bummer man there are no there options besides the one described above. I have them on my car and agree its a clean simple solution
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote