Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
It seems that your exhaust has a real angry cat
Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
Hypnos

Drives: 2014 AGM LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
My 2014 1LT was a whisper compared to after I put on my MRT V2... I bought the CAI and exhaust combo to save money, and both made it sound 100x better!
I did the same thing, love it. Apex had the combo deal, also ordered an elite cc while I was at it.

Only problem is now I really notice this metalic rattle when Im excellerating in 3rd/4th gear thats been around since I bought it last Nov. Weather getting nice = windows down and its finally starting to bug me.... could it be the pipes rattling on the tunnel brace? hopefull not something else... anyone else with the '14 notice a similar rattle?
Hypnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Yes! I hear this rattle as well, like a huge metallic vibration when I really get on it. It almost makes me let off the gas because I'm thinking that people are going to wonder what kind of crap exhaust job I did haha.
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #18
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
YES, I get the rattle too around 40-45 mph.
Sounds like a heat shield but haven't had a chance to crawl underneath. If you find something I'd like to know. I suspect it had something to do with not having pancake style mufflers and air flow across the new mufflers.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #19
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
I doubt I'm smart enough to diagnose this so I'd be very happy if someone can figure this out!
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #20
Hypnos

Drives: 2014 AGM LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
Yes! I hear this rattle as well, like a huge metallic vibration when I really get on it. It almost makes me let off the gas because I'm thinking that people are going to wonder what kind of crap exhaust job I did haha.
exactly my feeling as well. I dont have easy access to a lift so I havent had a chance to get under there and really look for what could be causing it...
Hypnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:31 PM   #21
BigB

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99 in BRM
I just found this thread through search as I was looking for some info on an exhaust rattle myself. Here's my situation:

I have a 2014 2SS that I've had since October. It has 12k miles on it. I put on a Borla S-type Axel back system on it, installed by my dealer about 4 months ago. Last month as I was coming home from work I heard a metallic vibration for a split-second while accelerating. Since then what has been a once in a while occurrence has become a predictable and reproduced sound anytime I am accelerating through the 2200 to 2800 RPM range. Something is loose and resonating at those 2 points, but only when accelerating and not decelerating. Also this doesn't occur when just sitting in neutral and revving the engine through the same range.

I took it in today finally and the first guy that rode with me heard it and went to work. He found a bulletin about some alignment clips that could cause a rattle, so he followed the instructions and removed both clips. We hopped back in to try it and it was still there in the same way.

We go back and they hook me up with an older guy who was "the guy" to diagnose. I learned on the ride that he worked for Don Yenko in the '70s and decided he was a good choice. It took him a minute to hear it, but he finally did with me driving. We switched out and he was able to reproduce it after a minute. He tested many scenarios and came to my same conclusions. His best guess was something loose internally in either the cats or the resonators. They asked if I'd let them investigate, call support at Chevy and see if they had any similar cases and they'd get back to me.

I will say it was the 2nd guy's first opinion that it was the Borla, but after driving and testing he moved away from that opinion.

So, that's what I know for now, I'll update as we know more. Anyone else got any new info?
BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #22
Camaro45thMD
Mark

Drives: '12 Camaro 45th Vert/'10 Sequoia
It may be just me, but it doesn't sound that much different than an earlier LFX...

2012 45th 2LT RS Convertible
My Roll Call
Camaro45thMD is offline   Reply With Quote