Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
hglaber

Drives: Nothing interesting
In addition to the valves on the carbon canister (EVAP), premature shut offs (PSOs) can also be caused by a malfunctioning fuel limit vent valve (FLVV), clogged vapor return in the filler neck, or a malfunctioning check valve at the end of the filler tube. I'd have a dealer check it out. Factory fillers generally dispense a set volume so they don't have back pressure shutoffs like gas station fillers. A malfunction in any of those components causing excess pressure build-up at the nozzle would likely not be detected during assembly.
hglaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash_2SS View Post
I have about 1200 miles on my 2SS. Even though I just made 5-6 trips to the pump, I'm exhausted as I'm unable to pump gas automatically.. By pressing the handle. And if I hold it manually in a certain angle it seems to work. Any known issues? I tried to look online but didn't find any recent posts on this issue. I usually pump at Kroger or SAMs club as it saves me money, tried at a chevron but same issue everywhere. Appreciate any input.

Thanks Nash.
just check the vent tube on your gas tank//im sure its clogged or maybe even bent,,, if you used more than one pump they all can't be bad and its unlikely that the style of the nozzle has any effect on it, I've pumped gas for years and np car ever gave me a problem with the nozzle and i pumped Ferraris to p.o.s.'s , some cars would pop off quickly and i would just pull back on the sides the nozzle and fill. but it usually because its a lot of vapor locked in... it only happens because there is severe build up of vapors/air. so must be the vent tube isn't letting air escape quick enough and making the nozzle stop pumping. check to see when you take the cap off the gas tank to you get a lot of air coming out when you open it..
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
To the Op: I'm on my 2nd Camaro and have had this problem with both camaros with literally EVERY station in my area. What I've learned to do is put the nozzle in and lift it ever so slightly so the pressure's relieved. Once I get it in a good spot, I put the handle in that 'auto' position and just hold it...it's not automatic, but it beats holding the nozzle up (& the handle down) for 5 minutes!
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Nash_2SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Black
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaSS View Post
just check the vent tube on your gas tank//im sure its clogged or maybe even bent,,, if you used more than one pump they all can't be bad and its unlikely that the style of the nozzle has any effect on it, I've pumped gas for years and np car ever gave me a problem with the nozzle and i pumped Ferraris to p.o.s.'s , some cars would pop off quickly and i would just pull back on the sides the nozzle and fill. but it usually because its a lot of vapor locked in... it only happens because there is severe build up of vapors/air. so must be the vent tube isn't letting air escape quick enough and making the nozzle stop pumping. check to see when you take the cap off the gas tank to you get a lot of air coming out when you open it..
I tried three different Sams Clubs, Kroger, Shell Gas. Everywhere I experience the same problem. Need to visit the dealer this Saturday to get this straightened out.

Do I need to the dealer who sold the car to me or Just go to the nearest one? Does that matter?
Nash_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #19
Nash_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
To the Op: I'm on my 2nd Camaro and have had this problem with both camaros with literally EVERY station in my area. What I've learned to do is put the nozzle in and lift it ever so slightly so the pressure's relieved. Once I get it in a good spot, I put the handle in that 'auto' position and just hold it...it's not automatic, but it beats holding the nozzle up (& the handle down) for 5 minutes!
Exactly! I'm ok with this in summer but.. can't hold the nozzle during winter
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
Nash_2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
I changed oil in HS at a small shop/gas station back in 99-01 and saw so many people set the pump to "auto" then have it shut off on them too early or fly out of the neck and blow gas all over their car etc. that I never used the auto pump feature. I actually think some states dont even allow the pumps to have that little metal clip so they force you to hold it yourself.

this sounds like a silly problem lol
Lol.. it does sound like a silly problem Thats the reason I have posted it before walking to a dealership with my Stupid face.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #21
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
stand back about 3 feet and shoot the gas into the filler neck? haha, gasoline fight???!!!

Had that happen on some other cars, I'd pull the nozzle out a bit till it'll keep flowing without shutting off .. however, the vapor recovery bit can't really do its job.
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #22
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I have a 2010 and never had this issue.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #23
jiannotto9492

Drives: 2014 Red 2LS
Not an issue on mine. But I can say this first world problems.
jiannotto9492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #24
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the same issue on certain pumps. I simply hold the pump handle at the proper angle. Problem solved.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #25
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
yea, had this issue when i was stationed in Cali. havent had this issue since i moved back to the east coast. must be something to do with the nozzle.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #26
1543R2

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Blk/Blk
I've had this same issue from the first fill up.
1543R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #27
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760bowtie View Post
Haven't had this problem with my camaro, but I have it with my truck. Maybe something to do with the pumps because I usually fill up at the same station and I'll have the issue during a fill up and won't have it on the next.
Same here. My 05 silverado can be a pain at some pumps but not all. Never had a problem with the camaro.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #28
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
I have the same issue with my car. Only gas stations it autopumps perfectly is when I use Chevron. I only fill up at Chevron or Shell, so shell I have to do it at an angle all the time.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pump handle