Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #953
Van@RevanRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: GM and Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06 View Post
Very cool (and refreshing) to see/read two level headed gearheads talk car's, and taking them out on the track for a little H2H fun.......congrat's to both of you.
Right on!

Erik, at some point we just need to know what one another is doing for set up.

My set up for Sebring was as follows:

Tune (25-30 horse)
High Temp Brake Fluid
Resonator Delete on the intake.

Everything else is the way it came off the showroom floor.

Van
Van@RevanRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #954
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
13 GT500 posts better numbers just about all the way around (lap time, especially) but the a writer seems like it hurts him to admit it. From the few comparisons I've seen there seems to be a clear bias towards the Camaro. What are your opinions?
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...ison-test.html
I think so far we have seen a tie overall: 1 to 1 in road racing. The issue I have with the latter test is that the GT500 put down a better time but EMOTION had a role to play in the end. I dont agree with that one bit. You can go to ANY actual sanctioned event and I promise you will NEVER find emotions (other than joy) at the announcement of the winner. All that determines this is the only thing that matters in an actual race: the time it took to finish. The magazines need to leave the opinions out and let the times speak for themselves.

Disclaimer: I understand that people are passionate about their cars. It bothers me to see people skewing facts. For now, as I see it: 1 to 1. The only thing that I can see or consider a reasonable opinion is daily driving the car/comfort factor. It appears the ZL1 is better suited for this.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #955
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
This guy gets it.

Anyone who has actually tracked there cars or raced competitively knows that the holy grail is a car that can comfortably maintain the most speed in the corners.

Thowing hp at a car to get a better lap time is definitley not the solution. If you have a car with a lot of body roll and tons of understeer, it is not nearly as fun on the racetrack.

The fact that Insideline chose the ZL1 as a better track car despite a slightly slower time is not bias, it's obvious. The ZL1 did what a track car should - it handled exceptionally well. The GT500 was fast but was way down in cornering speed and the only way they could get the car to rotate well through the corners was to induce power-oversteer (great for tire wear!)

I don't care if you like the GT500 or ZL1, but those whining about the comparisons and being in denial about the ZL1 being a better track car should let it go. The results AND the reviews speak for themselves.
Anyone who races either of these cars competitively has more money than I would know what to do with.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #956
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
I think so far we have seen a tie overall: 1 to 1 in road racing. The issue I have with the latter test is that the GT500 put down a better time but EMOTION had a role to play in the end. I dont agree with that one bit. You can go to ANY actual sanctioned event and I promise you will NEVER find emotions (other than joy) at the announcement of the winner. All that determines this is the only thing that matters in an actual race: the time it took to finish. The magazines need to leave the opinions out and let the times speak for themselves.

Disclaimer: I understand that people are passionate about their cars. It bothers me to see people skewing facts. For now, as I see it: 1 to 1. The only thing that I can see or consider a reasonable opinion is daily driving the car/comfort factor. It appears the ZL1 is better suited for this.
I disagree. I don't think there is any issue with the article, really. It's a product review and comparison. Most reasons people purchase a car are subjective. They preferred the zl1 and they explained why. That's their job the way I see it. In this comparison the gt500 was faster, but the zl1 was preferred. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #957
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Great Stuff here...
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #958
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Gm quotes curb weight with all fluids topped off. I am assuming that means fuel also.

Sebring is a fast course, I would assume that might favor the mustang, but Sebring is also bumpy, hmmm..........
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #959
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Driver driver driver.

If a pro driver gets in a stock GT and I race him around an sutocross and he beats me does that mean his car is better?

Point being the cars are both pretty bad ass. The fact that one was a tad faster means NOTHING. The driver has more to do with it that many think.

And I've said it before (speaking to everyone) ........... if YOU didn't hit the time then STFU.

And..... may I add, "If YOU don't OWN one......"
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #960
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I didn't see the article saying what options both cars had. I have trouble believing the gt500 ran that track time with the base suspension. I see where the article tells you what the base price is on both cars, but it doesn't say that's the way the car was equipped for this track test. I'm betting the Mustang had the optional suspension pieces and the cost associated with that.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #961
Topher3134

Drives: delete me
It sucks but I think the gt500 will beat the zl1 at the ring. The road has some serious fast sections. I think they are both great cars and since this is the almost the money level where 5 g extra doesn't matter to the buyers we have supper potential in both. I am sure the gt500 with full ultra high dollar suspension and some wider wheels and tires will get faster. The zl1 will also get faster with some engine mods. Ie tune and pulley. Shit u can buy a used viper for this cash and smoke either one. But u better have ur big boy pants on if u want to drive a viper fast. Seems like no one ever complains how hard they are to drive!
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #962
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Any serious Racers would build a race car designed for whatever race they wish to participate in. All of you compare a after market car (SHELBY GT500) to a production car (ZL1) and want to bash it. When Ford builds a production car that's better, let me know. If you want to compare after market cars, lets compare the HPE700 to the Shelby. Don't want to do that huh... why not, is it because we ALL know the answer to that?
I'm constantly amazed that a car enthusiast still can get this wrong, especially with Google such a handy tool. The GT500 is a production car built on the same line as any other Mustang. Dude, you should be driving a Civic not a Camaro.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #963
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss My SS View Post
After reading all of this I was unaware that the GT500 was cheaper than the ZL1, The GT500 is clearly faster in a straight line and is as fast on a road course so if I was spending my money on those two particulars the GT500 wins hands down in price, power and track speed but I agree its a crap shoot between these two cars in any type of race.
Am I missing something? ZL1 $54,095 13 GT500 $54,200
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #964
2012 Mustang GT

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 1998 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
I feel ya on this point, but I offer another view....

Which is superior in a dogfight... a modern-day F-15 Eagle fighter jet, or a WWII Corsair? And I think anyone would say the answer would be the F-15. The F15 benefits from superior technology and is therefore the winner hands down in a head to head fight. Of course, the Corsair pilot may have full control of his aircraft via cables, but the F15 pilot has computerized fly-by-wire technology that allows him to dominate the air. When it comes to winning, you take every advantage you can get!!
Now, with that said, I do LOVE to have full control of my vehicles, especially when I'm driving with spirit.... LOL! But I'll also take advantage of technology to make me a better driver!!
Great analogy, in the end the numbers really dont matter. Two great cars, both run great numbers. Both have their advantages, now lets see some of this good stuff trickle down for those that drive the bread and butter cars V6, GT and SS
2012 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #965
2012 Mustang GT

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 1998 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylepo View Post
Am I missing something? ZL1 $54,095 13 GT500 $54,200
ZL1 has a gas guzzler tax...though with optional packages the GT500 gets closer to 64,000
2012 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #966
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
GT500......Who cares anyway? Its a Ford. Last time I looked this is a CAMARO site and a ZL1 forum. Who gives a mouses behind about what the GT500 does and doesn't do.

Most of the people commenting don't even own a ZL1 or a GT500, so unless you own one or the other, no-one is interested in your opinion anyway.

Mods this is another thread to ditch to the useless Ford mega whiner thread.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500