Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Fuse to use for LED's

Which fuse in the main underhood fuse box can I use to power some LED's I'm going to install in my Street Scene grille ducts? Obviously, I'd only want it to be powered when the car is on. Can I just pop in an Add-a-Fuse into the slot that's recommended? Thanks.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Hawk3907

Drives: 2013
If it were me, I would hook it up with a relay and the main power bolt on the bottom of the fuse panel. And I would probably hook the relay into my DRL's or sidemarkers so I could control when its on and off with the stock switch in the car.
But if you want to have them on all by themselves you would need to run a switch. But I would still power it off the main bolt and hook a fuse onto the wire coming off.
Like this :

Hawk3907
Hawk3907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Cincy10SSRS

Thanks for the reply I've already gotten but does anyone know the answer to my original question: what fuse could I "tap into" for LED's that would only be on when the car is on? Also, what amp of fuse, 10, 20, etc?
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
If its just grill duct LEDs use a 2.5A fuse. If you want constant power (so you can turn them on even when the car is parked) then get power from the fuse panel under the hood. If you want ignition power (you can not turn on when the car is parked) get power from the driver side interior fuse panel. You can get power from the fuse or connect directly to the power input lug.

Hope that helps
Thanks. I'd rather not have to run wire from the drivers side interior fuse panel. Is there a fuse with ignition power suitable for use in the underhood fuse panel? I don't care if I can't turn them on when the car isn't running and I'd rather not have to wire a on/off switch either. I'm a newb on this kind of mod.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Hawk3907

I dont think you understood my post.

You can accomplish this with a relay pretty easy.
Hook a relay up to the fuse bolt on the bottom. Tap the "IN" wire on the relay onto a hot wire. This will cause the relay to turn on when the wire gets power (when the car is started) and then use the "out" side of the relay to hook up to your LED's.
But I would again suggest hooking up a fuse on the out wire so you have some protection.

Hawk3907
Old 01-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk3907 View Post
I dont think you understood my post.

You can accomplish this with a relay pretty easy.
Hook a relay up to the fuse bolt on the bottom. Tap the "IN" wire on the relay onto a hot wire. This will cause the relay to turn on when the wire gets power (when the car is started) and then use the "out" side of the relay to hook up to your LED's.
But I would again suggest hooking up a fuse on the out wire so you have some protection.
OK, really dumb question but what does a relay like this look like? Can I buy one at Autozone, Walmart and the like?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Hawk3907

It woudl kinda be wired like this:

But be hooked up to the fuse bolt, not the battery,
And the lights woudl be the LED's

The relay could look like this:

They have several different kinds. I am sure autozone has them.

Basically how it works is:
The relay is like its own switch. The "IN" will connect to a power source that is on when the car is on.
When the "IN" has power (so the car is on) it will open the door for the "OUT" wire. So then the "OUT" wire will have power and provide power to the LED's.

Hawk3907
Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
Cincy10SSRS

Is the bolt at the front left of the underhood fuse box ignition-powered (is it "live" only when the ignition is on)?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
No, that cable is always live.

F15 is one that is switched.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
No, that cable is always live.

F15 is one that is switched.
Sorry to be so thickheaded but I just went and looked at the underhood fuse box layout and, of the mini-fuses, there isn't one labeled F15. There is a 5a fuse in location 15 that says "ign"; is that the one you referred to? Thanks.

Last edited by Cincy10SSRS; 01-22-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Yes.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Yes.
Great; thanks a lot!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
68dreams

Drives: 2016 2SS Black M6
if you want it to come on when you start the car just run it under the ignition fuse in box under the hood
68dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
OKCwhiteKnight

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro 2015 Colorado
Fuse 16 and 33,one is battery other ign.Used by JDP to power their halo kit.Add a circuit from auto parts.

OKCwhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote