Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #771
kingvjim

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Green Flash Edition
Hey all! New to the forum here as I just traded a C6 Vette in on a beautiful 2010 Camaro 2SS M6. I've done lots of research and am upgrading my stock radio to a Nav unit. I've read this whole thread (and others) and see that everyone says there is "No Way" to put a 7" Android unit in with the PAC unit. My question is this...has anyone actually tried? I know the kit isn't cheap, but after physically measuring the radio I have here, the opening on the PAC...I'm finding that there is just enough to cut away on the faceplate to make it fit very clean and neat. Won't have to modify the sides at all, and just take a little off the top and bottom without cutting into the face. Just going to have to cut it with a Dremel very slowly and very straight. If it doesn't work I'll just get a Scosche unit, but I have to at least try to make this work as I like it MUCH better. I'll post progress pics.
kingvjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #772
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Damn! I was bored today and even though it was freezing outside I decided to do my install. Everything went according to plan and no issues, except for cramming all the wires back into the dash, which is a real tight fit. I was doing the final fitting and the HVAC connector got stuck in the little slot under the radio. I heard what sounded like Velcro pulling apart and realized I pulled the HVAC connector from the circuit board!

So unless PAC Audio sells the circuit board separately, I’m going to have to pony up for a new kit.

This is just a note. Just be careful with the connectors.
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 01-25-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #773
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
Damn! I was bored today and even though it was freezing outside I decided to do my install. Everything went according to plan and no issues, except for cramming all the wires back into the dash, which is a real tight fit. I was doing the final fitting and the HVAC connector got stuck in the little slot under the radio. I heard what sounded like Velcro pulling apart and realized I pulled the HVAC connector from the circuit board!

So unless PAC Audio sells the circuit board separately, I’m going to have to pony up for a new kit.

This is just a note. Just be careful with the connectors.
Ouch.... looks like you pulled the lands (solder pads) off the circuit board too. Unlikely that can be repaired with the typical home soldering tools. You may be able to find someone that has the expertise to do SMD repair work and they possibly could repair or attach some discrete lead wires to the appropriate junctions which would then allow you to attach to the harness and still function. Becomes a tradeoff on who you know, time needed to repair v/s cost and time for new kit.

On a side note, seems like my installer wound up cutting or trimming away some plastic in the dash to make a little more room. Was still very tight in any case.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #774
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
Ouch.... looks like you pulled the lands (solder pads) off the circuit board too. Unlikely that can be repaired with the typical home soldering tools. You may be able to find someone that has the expertise to do SMD repair work and they possibly could repair or attach some discrete lead wires to the appropriate junctions which would then allow you to attach to the harness and still function. Becomes a tradeoff on who you know, time needed to repair v/s cost and time for new kit.

On a side note, seems like my installer wound up cutting or trimming away some plastic in the dash to make a little more room. Was still very tight in any case.
I’m man enough to admit I screw it up and I’m going to just buy a new kit or see if they’ll sell me the circuit board separately.

It’s very tight putting the HU back in, especially if you also put a sat radio unit like I did, so I also had to trim a bit. I bought a Pioneer unit and if I had to do it again I’d probably go with a smaller unit, especially since the steering control plug keeps coming out.

One suggestion I have is to run the microphone antenna on the passenger side rather than the drivers side.

UPDATE: The folks at PAC AUDIO were very helpful and I was able to buy a new circuit board for $40. I had already ordered a complete kit so as soon as it arrives it will be for sale on this forum if I can’t return it. For future reference, the radio works without the HVAC being connected so you can test fit the HU without plugging and unplugging the HVAC controls. Be VERY CAREFUL with the connectors which are no where near as robust as the stock parts.

Couple of install notes: I know there's a video online that outlines the PAC to radio connections. If you have a Pioneer radio DO NOT follow the directions for the harness or the bypass. I had to redo some connections because they didn’t work as directed in the video where they used a Sony HU. Just do the regular color to color connections as normal and connect ALL the wires instead of skipping some connections like they did in the video. Everything is working fine now.

I put the chime in the glove box where it’s easy to adjust the volume. I also put the sat receiver in the glove box with hook and loop so it doesn’t bounce around.

One thing that really sticks out now is the sound from the center speaker. Now I know why people disconnect it. I may end up taking it out and putting the Bluetooth mic there like other people have done.

I’ve done a bunch of basic radio installs and this wasn’t much different than the others. If you’ve done radios before, you can do this. One thing you may want to consider is that if you’re not partial to any particular brand of radio, look for one with the smallest chassis and you won’t have to do any trimming and it will be a lot easier getting it back in the dash.

All in all it’s a much cheaper option than my next choice which would have been a MyLink install which would have much more expensive.
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 01-25-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #775
JNguyen

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
I have a LS 2015 camaro with no mylink. I recently purchased this kit and the Pioneer 8201. My car doesn't come with a reverse camera but I would like to utilize the OEM location for a reverse camera. If I purchased the OEM camera, is the car pre-wired to accept the OEM reverse cam? The OEM camera connector isn't a normal A/V plug so is there anyway to wire it to work with the 8201?
JNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #776
LINYSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNguyen View Post
I have a LS 2015 camaro with no mylink. I recently purchased this kit and the Pioneer 8201. My car doesn't come with a reverse camera but I would like to utilize the OEM location for a reverse camera. If I purchased the OEM camera, is the car pre-wired to accept the OEM reverse cam? The OEM camera connector isn't a normal A/V plug so is there anyway to wire it to work with the 8201?
They had to run the wires on mine
LINYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #777
JNguyen

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYSS View Post
They had to run the wires on mine
How did you go about doing that? Did you have to purchase a new harness or something to run for the OEM reverse cam
JNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #778
LINYSS

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
How did you go about doing that? Did you have to purchase a new harness or something to run for the OEM reverse cam
I actually , Don't know. I went into a shop in the area that was referred to me by the guys at Radio Pro, told them I wanted a rear camera with the new installed radio, they handeld the whole thing. I almost had my mechanic do it, glad I didn't the stereo guys were great
LINYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #779
kingvjim

Quote:
I just put the kit in my 2010 SS and using the reverse wire out of the PAC to the Head unit and the reverse lights to the camera. Only had to run the video wire from the head unit to the back of the car. Snuck it right under the carpet behind the console then along the sidewall thru the trunk out to the camera.

Now, I know I said I'd take progress pics...but this was a crazy undertaking with hours of tedious trimming that I do not suggest to anyone else and the end product just isn't worth it.

Here's a pic of what it looks like installed.

So yes, technically you can make one of these Android or Windows CE head units work and fit.

That said....don't do it. The sound isn't nearly as good as the stock headunit, the Nav is great, iPod only reads when it feels like it, the DVD feature is cool with the big screen, but the backup camera is awful. It does not come on as soon as you put the car in reverse but only once you're moving at least 10 feet and at a higher speed than anyone should use when parking....if you slow down the camera goes off.

So, yes it can be done, but why? I am going to learn to live without CD's and will look into a MyLink Nav Radio.

Maybe I'll put this into my 79 Trans Am project or I'll sell it to someone who doesn't need a camera.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM   #780
Cheap Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvjim View Post
I just put the kit in my 2010 SS and using the reverse wire out of the PAC to the Head unit and the reverse lights to the camera. Only had to run the video wire from the head unit to the back of the car. Snuck it right under the carpet behind the console then along the sidewall thru the trunk out to the camera.

Now, I know I said I'd take progress pics...but this was a crazy undertaking with hours of tedious trimming that I do not suggest to anyone else and the end product just isn't worth it.

Here's a pic of what it looks like installed.

So yes, technically you can make one of these Android or Windows CE head units work and fit.

That said....don't do it. The sound isn't nearly as good as the stock headunit, the Nav is great, iPod only reads when it feels like it, the DVD feature is cool with the big screen, but the backup camera is awful. It does not come on as soon as you put the car in reverse but only once you're moving at least 10 feet and at a higher speed than anyone should use when parking....if you slow down the camera goes off.

So, yes it can be done, but why? I am going to learn to live without CD's and will look into a MyLink Nav Radio.

Maybe I'll put this into my 79 Trans Am project or I'll sell it to someone who doesn't need a camera.
So are you dissatisfied with the HU or the kit? Why not just go with a regular double din unit - it would be a LOT cheaper than MyLink and maybe better sound plus you keep the door lock switch.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #781
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvjim View Post

That said....don't do it. The sound isn't nearly as good as the stock headunit, the Nav is great, iPod only reads when it feels like it, the DVD feature is cool with the big screen, but the backup camera is awful. It does not come on as soon as you put the car in reverse but only once you're moving at least 10 feet and at a higher speed than anyone should use when parking...
Can't really say all Android headunit have these issues. I have one on my Suburban and my brother in his Tahoe.

I've have two Kenwoods and a Pioneer in my Suburban. The Android unit I bought is way better than either one. Sound quality is great and all features work like they should.

One thing about your sound quality problems, is the wire harness on the PAC kit plugged into the correct port? Lots of people have had sound quality issues only to find out they plugged the harness into the incorrect location.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #782
kingvjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
So are you dissatisfied with the HU or the kit? Why not just go with a regular double din unit - it would be a LOT cheaper than MyLink and maybe better sound plus you keep the door lock switch.
The PAC kit is great and I have no issue at all with it. Does EXACTLY what it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Can't really say all Android headunit have these issues. I have one on my Suburban and my brother in his Tahoe.

I've have two Kenwoods and a Pioneer in my Suburban. The Android unit I bought is way better than either one. Sound quality is great and all features work like they should.

One thing about your sound quality problems, is the wire harness on the PAC kit plugged into the correct port? Lots of people have had sound quality issues only to find out they plugged the harness into the incorrect location.
The head unit I got is a brand new basket case. Yes it is plugged into the correct side for the premium Boston Acoustics powered side. The head unit just stopped reading any iPod, changes from source to source on it's own, reads very few cds or dvds. The sound is not loud at all and the radio gets sub par reception. The Bluetooth phone connection loses it's mic at times during calls. The only thing that works great is the Nav. Fighting with the company now and they want me to wait until their technicians return from vacation for the Chinese New Year...they'll be back to work in March....yup, they said MARCH!!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #783
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sounds like you ended up choosing a crappy brand. Or just got a lemon. XDA developers Android forums has a section devoted to Android radios. Lots of reviews and resources for Android radios.

I just bought a cheap commuter car and ordered an Android radio for it. This one is about two inches deep, plenty of room behind for cables. If I end up liking it, I'm getting one for the Camaro. And it's only $150.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #784
kingvjim

So I exchanged my defective Eincar Android unit for a Eincar Windows CE 8.0 version in an identical chasis just running windows OS. This one does work as advertised. Audio is great from SD card, Bluetooth, USB, iPod, CDs and DVD's (not to mention that movies are awesome to watch with the sound system. Nav is great, Bluetooth phone and phonebook are flawless. Backup camera is instant on as soon as I put the shifter in reverse and the camera is amazingly high def and has great night vision too. Steering wheel controls are all functional too.

I noticed that the pic of my install isn't showing so I attached it here. I still have to clean up the corners/sides a bit...but it fits pretty good.
Attached Images