Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
Need some help regarding requested documents for an application (Police)

Hi Folks, I'm stumped, and when I'm stumped I turn to my friends here at C5 ... here's what I'm doing...

Filling out an application for a local Police department... I'm trying to be as thorough as possible... they are asking for the following items in addendum to the application itself...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
All applicants must submit the following documents with their applications or as soon thereafter as possible.

a. One copy of your higher education diploma and all transcripts from any / all college and graduate study.

b. A copy of your driver’s license

c. Current Credit Report

d. DD214 (all complete copies) and Discharge Forms (Military, Reserve, National Guard)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that being said... I got my CR from Experian online for a buck..(cancelled the membership right afterward so I'm set with that.. (crappy credit but im hoping they aren't too picky)

but what I'm confused about is... "One copy of your higher education diploma and all transcripts from any / all college and graduate study."

are they asking for "HIGH SCHOOL" diploma and my college diploma and TRANSCRIPTS from my "HIGH SCHOOL" and College? or just college? I don't mean to come across as stupid but I'm wondering if there is a trick question in here as some places like to do that to see if they can throw you off... is "higher learning" "high" school? or will just my college degree/transcript suffice? thanks in advance for your help...
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Usually they want sealed transcripts from both high school and college. Unless you haven't been to college then it wouldn't apply.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Yes the transcripts must be in an unopened sealed envelope from the school. Is the PD requiring a 2 year degree at least? I know here locally they require it.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

what I quoted is what they are asking for, nothing more... the wording is what is throwing me off... do I need my college transcripts? or do I also need to include my HS transcripts??? I have a degree in criminal justice from an accredited college CHMSC
Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Wabbit

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Here they require the College transcripts. Some State Patrol positions pay more with certain degrees. A couple of them got busted last year for faking their diplomas just to get the additional pay.

* I am not a police officer, nor do I play one on TV or on the roads.
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
To my knowledge, higher education is above the norm, hence, college... I only state this as my wife is in higher education, university level...

To add a little, you may have acquired a degree through multiple schools, undergrad from x school, and masters from y school... Or an undergrad from multiple schools... High school is standard, higher education is collegiate level study...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

ahh! THANKS SSE 42SS

does "graduate study" and "Higher Learning" include High school, or is that considered AFTER High school is what im thinking I'm trying to ask
Old 10-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Then yes. Get both transcripts and make sure they are sealed by the school. Not just a copy for your records.

Technically the way it reads they just want your college transcripts. I would get both just to make sure. Most places I have applied to ask for both.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
dixonk

Normally college would supersede high school and it would be assumed if you have college that you are a HS graduate.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
From webster dictionary....
Attached Images

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
Yes the transcripts must be in an unopened sealed envelope from the school. Is the PD requiring a 2 year degree at least? I know here locally they require it.
I'm going to take back some of the bad things I've said about Cali. Seriously though, that's nice requiring a certain level of education for police officers. I'm pretty sure most of the departments in Alabama have no such requirement.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfriday2 View Post
ahh! THANKS SSE 42SS

does "graduate study" and "Higher Learning" include High school, or is that considered AFTER High school is what im thinking I'm trying to ask
There are levels of collegiate education...
Associate degree... Two year degree, often trade related or specific...
Undergraduate, typically, the first four years, for a bachelors degree...
Masters, post undergrad, my wife has two of these... Athletics administration and special education.
Doctorate, PH'D higher than a masters degree...
Post doctorate, even higher still...
These are the levels I'm familiar with...

There are often tests associated with each level of advancement, to prove an individual is capable of completing the associated classes... Two and four year degrees are typical of collegiate study, with acceptance based on SAT's or ACT's, but there are specific tests to pass for acceptance into a masters or phd program... GRE, MCAT, GMAT, LSAT are a few examples. Again, study after the high school level is considered higher education, and graduate level is after a bachelors degree is achieved... In some cases, you skip the masters level, for example, law and the medicine... Law school grads have a doctorate in jurisprudence, JD or in some cases S.JD in the U.S., and Med school grads have a doctorate in medicine... MD.. But they are not turned loose on the public just because of the title, the still have the internship and residency to perform, then any practice specific further education required to become board certified, say in orthopedics, or cardiology...

High school is not considered higher education...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
dixonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I'm going to take back some of the bad things I've said about Cali. Seriously though, that's nice requiring a certain level of education for police officers. I'm pretty sure most of the departments in Alabama have no such requirement.
I know for a fact they do not require anything beyond a GED in Alabama. But our police officers make around 38 dollars an hour and a have a bit more work to do. Besides having a requirement for a 2 year degree the PD here requires you to have P.O.S.T certification prior to application.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
they want college transcripts. only time i ever used high school transcripts was to apply to college.