Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
GM Achieves Breakthrough with Smart Materials

Excellent article from GMInsiders.com. Maybe the possibility that I have to hold off for the 2nd year of Camaro production will turn out to be a good thing and I'll have "smart materials" used in the build of my Camaro! Check this article out.

GM scientists at the Research and Development Center in Warren, Mich., have made a technological breakthrough in smart materials, which will be ready for series production in vehicles from as early as 2010.

These shape memory alloys and polymers can change their shape, strength, and/or stiffness when heat, stress, a magnetic field or electrical voltage are introduced. This opens new possibilities for many movable vehicle features, as shape memory alloys, and polymers in particular, "remember" their original shape and can return to it.

"Smart materials will change the look and feel of our cars and trucks," said Larry Burns, GM vice president of research and development and strategic planning. "With these new materials, functionality can be 'programmed in' to enable innovative designs, improved efficiency, and new and improved features that will make our vehicles more exciting to own and operate than the automobiles of the past."

Actuators and sensors made from these materials have the potential to improve vehicle performance, fuel economy, as well as enable new comfort and convenience features.

TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
I am surprised its taken this long for the automotive community to pick this up..

memory alloy

Imagine body panels made of this stuff... get in a fender bender... just run hot water over your panels and they reform back to original shape (just repaint) no metal work needed....
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
I am surprised its taken this long for the automotive community to pick this up..

memory alloy

Imagine body panels made of this stuff... get in a fender bender... just run hot water over your panels and they reform back to original shape (just repaint) no metal work needed....
I saw a special on discovery or something several years back about this stuff. It is really cool. I think the kind they were dealing with though was magnetically activated. It certainly has a lot of potential...
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
that would be awesome because there is nothing like an unwrecked vehicle with the gaps spaced and lined up like they are supost to.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

It'll definetely be interesting to see how they incorporate this material into the entire car. I could see it work for body panels, but what about everything underneath that?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Moosen75

Drives: Junk til 2008
Send a message via AIM to Moosen75
good stuff but always kind of crazy at the same time.
Moosen75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
As one of My teachers says, Star Trek is here and Nobody knows it!!!

Has any other company developed this?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

hehe...run hot water over it and it's like new again. Get into an accident, run to the hot water car wash, and WHAM! Like new again!