Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
bowtie22

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Do Modifications void the Warranty

I have a specific inquiry pertaining to modifications.
Do certain modifications on the new camaro void the factory warranty? I was contemplating on installing long tube headers, a cat back exhaust then having a custom tune done to the engine.

However, I've been told by some camaro owners that long tube headers and a custom engine tune would void the warranty, but installing an aftermarket cat back exhaust does not. Is there any truth to the aforementioned statement? Your help would be deeply appreciated.
bowtie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Changing the tune voids the warranty for ANY car company, unless it is a factory authorized tune. Cat back shouldn't unless the dealer is a pr**k, and the headers can be touch and go. Much depends on the dealer and how much he is willing to overlook. One place I worked at was fixing nitrous blow-ups on Trans-Ams, and we would sell the upgrade kit to make them wet kits.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Tune = voided power train warranty.

But you still maintain your bumper to bumper warranty. Switching out items such as a catback or an CAI only void your warranty if the source of the problem can be traced back to the modded part. So let's say you have a catback exhaust and your radiator springs a leak. It's covered under warranty because the cutback didn't cause the problem.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
bowtie22

I surmise that the GM dealers folllow a standard policy across the board. There must be some sort of protocol for various situations affecting their vehicles' warranty.
So I guess if you buy performance parts (i.e. headers, exhaust, etc) from GM Performance parts and they are installed by the dealer, does that entail you're covered by GM's powertrain warranty?
If for some reason when you purchase the GM Performance parts and your not covered under warranty, what is the logic behind this policy?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Changing the tune voids the warranty for ANY car company, unless it is a factory authorized tune. Cat back shouldn't unless the dealer is a pr**k, and the headers can be touch and go.

What he said... A catback will really only void the exhaust warranty on the exhaust behind the cats - anything near it that might incur heat damage.

Headers are considered power adders and for that reason they CAN void the entire powertrain warranty... to be safe, you can always swap the factory manifolds back in if you need serious warranty work.

Buy any alteration of the factory flash in the ECM is pretty much automatic adios to your powertrain warranty. And they, supposedly, can detect it even after you're reflashed the OEM tune.

Bottom line is don't do these mods unless you're comfortable not having the warranty.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
bowtie22

OK, apparently, we have ascertained that the majority of modifications will void the factory powertrain warranty. However, what about the mods performed and installed by the GM dealer? If you purchase GM Performance Parts from the dealer do they void the factory warranty as well? Does that mean that GM dishonors their warranty with the installation of their own performance parts?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Bowtie,
You're car should have come with a written warranty booklet. The best thing you can do is read it for yourself. There are specific sections about what the warranty does and does not cover. I believe it will answer all your questions.
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock
mwt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
The dealer will tell you if /when you buy the part from them if it will or wont void the warranty. Or you ask. Even if it s a gm part/installed it still could void it btw. Ive asked my dealer who installs cams and such.. lol
Old 07-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
For the most part modifications can void the warranty of your vehicle. It depends on the servicing dealership to whether or not your warranty would get voided or not. As to the GM Performance Parts they come with at least a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty for the parts themselves or the duration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (but no less than 12 months or 12,000 miles). The GMPP parts are treated as replacement or accessory parts. Other modifications outside of the GM Performance Parts would have to be taken up with the dealership or the third party themselves. I hope that helps to explain how the GM Performance Parts works for you. If you have any additional questions let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote