Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
2SSRSinNC
Apricot idea killer

Drives: '12 SW 2SSRS LS3 w/roof '10 Slade
Send a message via AIM to 2SSRSinNC
Red face Engagement Ring Input?

I've been scouring for months comparing quality, GIA specs and styles.

She owns diamond jewlery already and I've been studying it to get a feel for what she likes and came to the decision of traditional.

Edit: iPad didn't get the rest of my post!

I was looking at Tiffany rings today and was told you're paying for a name. I also had the idea of having a ring made with her birth month color stones around the diamond. I know this is an intimate decision but I know a lot of you could help me.

I'm sweating profusely with aleast 13 tabs open pertaining to the subject. Any online places or stores that sell loose stones and settings that you know of?
2SSRSinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Couple of things off the bat.

1) don't get Tiffany's - the price is for the name and you can get much nicer (and cheaper) rings at a mom and pop jewelry store.

B) Read this: http://www.lumeradiamonds.com/buying-diamonds/index

iii) I can give you a few recommendations on designers and diamond companies if you'd like. Though I don't know your budget
Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
2SSRSinNC
Apricot idea killer

Drives: '12 SW 2SSRS LS3 w/roof '10 Slade
Send a message via AIM to 2SSRSinNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Couple of things off the bat.

1) don't get Tiffany's - the price is for the name and you can get much nicer (and cheaper) rings at a mom and pop jewelry store.

B) Read this: http://www.lumeradiamonds.com/buying-diamonds/index

iii) I can give you a few recommendations on designers and diamond companies if you'd like. Though I don't know your budget
Thanks for the link - PM sent.
2SSRSinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
1WILDSScmrg

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS inferno orange
I took my lady out looking at rings about 6 months before i popped the question so i could get a feel of the type of rings she liked and so she would forget about it by the time i did ask her. I ended up getting her the exact one she wanted and she couldn't of been happier.
1WILDSScmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
My advise from someone that has been there and done that, do most of your shopping in pawn shops and no name jewelry stores. You can and will find stuff that is just as nice as the big name jewelry stores at a fraction of the price.

Don't spend too much for an engagement ring just incase you two decide not to follow through with it. Remember if it gets called off she will be the one keeping the ring so don't spend more then you're comfortable losing for good. Save the big money rings for a wedding band.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Don't spend too much for an engagement ring just incase you two decide not to follow through with it. Remember if it gets called off she will be the one keeping the ring so don't spend more then you're comfortable losing for good. Save the big money rings for a wedding band.
really? i guess if the woman is a really huge B**CH. lol my ex gave me back her rings, and i know a buddy that had his engagement break off and she gave him back the ring.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSSian View Post
really? i guess if the woman is a really huge B**CH. lol my ex gave me back her rings, and i know a buddy that had his engagement break off and she gave him back the ring.
If your not sure that the person will follow through then your not even ready to pop the questiong let alone get married
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Legally an engagement ring is like a contract for marriage. If she calls it off, she has to give it back. If the guy gets caught sleeping with her sister, she gets to keep it. Lol.

From my experience, that little blue box that Tiffany rings come in is the icing on the cake for women. Especially if they've never purchased anything from that store. Their customer service is second to none also. I might have overpaid but it wasn't anything compared to the actual wedding costs (talk about over paying).
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WILDSScmrg View Post
I took my lady out looking at rings about 6 months before i popped the question so i could get a feel of the type of rings she liked and so she would forget about it by the time i did ask her. I ended up getting her the exact one she wanted and she couldn't of been happier.
2SSRSinNC, the above is the best advice you will get......stop racking your brain and take all the guess work out of it.....its something whe will have from you and if its something that she LOVES heo look of.....all the more better!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSSian View Post
It must depend on the culture and the difference is raising then. Around here it is believed that the ring is a promise that you will take her and support her. If it gets called off shes to keep it to help her financially for a small length of time since she no longer has you to support her.

Personally around here I've never heard of an engagement being called off that the man got to keep the ring unless he did something so bad that she wanted to forget all about him like cheating.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I have bought a few of those myself........

A pawn shop will come way down from asking price if you make a low ball cash offer. You can buy the ring and have the stone reset into a brand new setting for peanuts if you know where to shop. Nobody will ever know. I did that once and it was a huge savings.

I have a large round solitaire that is available for a very reasonable price. PM me if you are interested in detals.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
If your not sure that the person will follow through then your not even ready to pop the questiong let alone get married
ok....how is this relevant to my post? lol
Old 03-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
It must depend on the culture and the difference is raising then. Around here it is believed that the ring is a promise that you will take her and support her. If it gets called off shes to keep it to help her financially for a small length of time since she no longer has you to support her.

Personally around here I've never heard of an engagement being called off that the man got to keep the ring unless he did something so bad that she wanted to forget all about him like cheating.
yeah, definitly different times. my ex made almost as much as me. plus she was the one in the wrong, so she gave me back the rings. not sure what happened with my buddy.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Spend an afternoon taking her ring shopping and you'll get a good feel for what she likes, and if she's ready for the question to be popped.
If you want to surprise her, connive with her bff to go jewelry shopping with your gf and try on rings for fun. The bff can report back which ones she was loving.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote