Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
Vinyl Stripe Question

Okay, So I had custom Ralley Stripes put on my car, Vinyl of course, and my request was to have them end on the back of the fin. After having the car for a week, I noticed that the back has been "Spliced" and over lapped. I questioned the Striping guy about this and he said that due to the complex angles the stripe would distort, so he had to do it that way.

Does this sound right to you guys? Anyone out there that has had this done, or anyone that does vinyl striping confirm this?

Want to call but don't know enough about the process...
Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Hurst

Not a good shot, and not that you can tell... but it is spliced where it makes the final turn towards the bottom of the fin ...
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
ok you mean spoiler - not fin -and why I asked for a pic...this is a tough area to keep it straight but can be done with heat - or a splice. If you think it looks ok and only you see it, then I would not worry. But if it bugs you, you can order in 1.5 foot or so of that vinyl from one of the sponsors here and get another shop to do it.

Because this is tricky, many end up stopping on the top like this - not my car in pic but that's what I did:
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
ok you mean spoiler - not fin -and why I asked for a pic...this is a tough area to keep it straight but can be done with heat - or a splice. If you think it looks ok and only you see it, then I would not worry. But if it bugs you, you can order in 1.5 foot or so of that vinyl from one of the sponsors here and get another shop to do it.

Because this is tricky, many end up stopping on the top like this - not my car in pic but that's what I did:

That's what I did with mine too
Old 07-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
The vinyl guy who did mine yesterday has been doing vinyl for 20 years and that's what he did for my spoiler. He said he had to because of the complex contours of the spoiler. You can't really see it though. I have gloss black so maybe that helped hide it. Having watched him do it, I don't think there is any other way.
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Hurst

Can't really see mine as well, I was just taken back a bit when I saw the overlap. Thanks for the responses. Makes me feel much better.