Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
(not sure how many dealers would be able to do this).
I know of at least one.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Adamante82

Drives: 2013 1SS camaro
Stirring the pot but...a tune doesn't automatically kill your warranty.
It is however a sticky subject

And I am not speaking from experience but I am speaking from reading on the forums here.
Adamante82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
Adamante82

Drives: 2013 1SS camaro
But, judging by the posts even if there is a warranty that you have to pay a LOT for, is it worth a setup that isn't as good as after market?
Adamante82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
Good input here....
Anyone have any links to some better known cam / head packages that would outperform and outprice Chevy's thing?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamante82 View Post
Stirring the pot but...a tune doesn't automatically kill your warranty.
It is however a sticky subject

And I am not speaking from experience but I am speaking from reading on the forums here.

no, a tune pretty much kills your warranty, you altered the ECM and good luck hiring the lawyers to go against GM's engineers in court if they push the issue

Magnus-Moss sounds like a great defense, until you realize how much money you'd have to spend to battle a group of engineers and lawyers from GM with your little civil defense lawyer

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #20
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSinBama View Post
no, a tune pretty much kills your warranty, you altered the ECM and good luck hiring the lawyers to go against GM's engineers in court if they push the issue

Magnus-Moss sounds like a great defense, until you realize how much money you'd have to spend to battle a group of engineers and lawyers from GM with your little civil defense lawyer
No, it really doesn't. It is VERY MUCH up to your dealer! I've had so much warranty work done on so many modded cars. And most of it SHOULD have been turned away. I had the transmission replaced twice due to bad syncros on my full bolt on/tuned 350z, I had brake work done on my EVO IX running a bigger turbo, upgraded fuel pump, and 27psi! Had a rear axle leak fixed on my C6 Vette making 750whp with full bolt ons, SC, cam and meth. They even replace my weak maf with a strong one when the maf was giving us a hard time tuning it. I just showed them the corvette forum thread that explained the weak maf.

So as you can see it very much depends on your dealer. My advice is get to know your service guys! Bring the car by from time to time just to let them check it out. I do all my own work for the most part, but if I stop by for an oil filter ill hang out a while. They are car guys too and from my experience like modded cars. I've actually NEVER had them turn me down at probably 5 different manufacturers dealers, in 3 different states.

On the other side of that coin I have seen things turned away for other people. I really think it boils down to your dealer. And if your boosted and you bend a rod...I mean come on!
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezee View Post
No, it really doesn't. It is VERY MUCH up to your dealer! I've had so much warranty work done on so many modded cars. And most of it SHOULD have been turned away. I had the transmission replaced twice due to bad syncros on my full bolt on/tuned 350z, I had brake work done on my EVO IX running a bigger turbo, upgraded fuel pump, and 27psi! Had a rear axle leak fixed on my C6 Vette making 750whp with full bolt ons, SC, cam and meth. They even replace my weak maf with a strong one when the maf was giving us a hard time tuning it. I just showed them the corvette forum thread that explained the weak maf.

So as you can see it very much depends on your dealer. My advice is get to know your service guys! Bring the car by from time to time just to let them check it out. I do all my own work for the most part, but if I stop by for an oil filter ill hang out a while. They are car guys too and from my experience like modded cars. I've actually NEVER had them turn me down at probably 5 different manufacturers dealers, in 3 different states.

On the other side of that coin I have seen things turned away for other people. I really think it boils down to your dealer. And if your boosted and you bend a rod...I mean come on!

The problem is that GM can now down or up load (whichever it is) all of the data in your PCM. Once they know, it's over. Actually you know that really convenient feature of OnStar giving you a status report of your car? How do you think they know that? Yup they know what you did... and you were a bad boy.

I've long been the guy who all the managers at the dealer love. They all tell me the same thing these days... "We'll help you as long as we can." it's not that big a deal to me anymore.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
Deezee

True, but in order to turn you away they have to PROVE that the mod you did broke the part they need to replace. I've never hidden mods, but I know and accept the risk to fix it myself. If you drive a M6, change your intake and get a tune I'd think it hard to see the dealer turn you down for a drive line issue. Even when they KNEW about my tunes and mods they didn't. My cars are usually HIGHLY modiffied and I know the line to expect I guess. If the dealer is cool, like they told you they will work with you.

The idea that if you do any mods your warranty is gone is obserd! It's misinformation I've seen spewed across MANY car forums over the years! I had a window motor go out on my Vette right before I sold it and that was replaced no questions ask too. None of the motor, SC, cam, bolt ons, meth or tune can cause a window motor to fail. So it was warrantied.

Just realize that it's always POSSIBLE that you can be turned down if your mod is even questionable! And it's not worth the $$ to fight it in court, and you would probably lose anyways!

My father used to say "don't race sonething you can't afford to break!"
Old 10-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
Firefighter

Quote:
True, but in order to turn you away they have to PROVE that the mod you did broke the part they need to replace. I've never hidden mods, but I know and accept the risk to fix it myself. If you drive a M6, change your intake and get a tune I'd think it hard to see the dealer turn you down for a drive line issue. Even when they KNEW about my tunes and mods they didn't. My cars are usually HIGHLY modiffied and I know the line to expect I guess. If the dealer is cool, like they told you they will work with you.

The idea that if you do any mods your warranty is gone is obserd! It's misinformation I've seen spewed across MANY car forums over the years! I had a window motor go out on my Vette right before I sold it and that was replaced no questions ask too. None of the motor, SC, cam, bolt ons, meth or tune can cause a window motor to fail. So it was warrantied.

Just realize that it's always POSSIBLE that you can be turned down if your mod is even questionable! And it's not worth the $$ to fight it in court, and you would probably lose anyways!

My father used to say "don't race sonething you can't afford to break!"

Absolutely agree. I guess people need to be more specific and say your drive train warranty is out the window.

Perfect example. I did the CTS-V brake upgrade. I have no warranty on any issues with the calipers and rotors. If I had a problem with the ABS or that portion of the computer it would be covered. I replaced my air intake, not covered but my engine still is.

As for the Tune... well if I have an issue with my idle quality, I don't go to the dealer. If I throw a rod... I'll see if the dealer can help me out.

As for your last quote of your father... 100% true.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
Deezee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Absolutely agree. I guess people need to be more specific and say your drive train warranty is out the window.

Perfect example. I did the CTS-V brake upgrade. I have no warranty on any issues with the calipers and rotors. If I had a problem with the ABS or that portion of the computer it would be covered. I replaced my air intake, not covered but my engine still is.

As for the Tune... well if I have an issue with my idle quality, I don't go to the dealer. If I throw a rod... I'll see if the dealer can help me out.

As for your last quote of your father... 100% true.
Yea even with a tune I think a lot of drive line stuff could be coverd. Now in an L99 with the tranny tuned it might be harder? The only auto I've owned was the GTR and it had 45k on it when I bought it so it never went to the dealer.

Pretty ballsy to try a rod at the dealer! hey if they will do it though then why not? I don't think I'd ever try internals. They did warranty my maf in the Vette because it was hard to tune with my weak one! Lol. Thought for sure they would laugh at me, but they just pulled a new one off the shelf and handed it to me! I borrowed a screw driver from one of the techs and swapped it in the parking lot. Then gave them the old one.

Now that I think about it, I was driving the Vette one day and it went into limp mode for no reson! Drove straight to the dealer since I was close and my code reader was at the house. Turned out to be a faulty throttle possion sensor. They changed that too no questions asked. I always keep a code reader in my cars now! Cheap one, but they work.

So how do you like the V? I seem to remember seeing one on here that was insane! Black weld rts wheels I think?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #25
Firefighter

Quote:
Yea even with a tune I think a lot of drive line stuff could be coverd. Now in an L99 with the tranny tuned it might be harder? The only auto I've owned was the GTR and it had 45k on it when I bought it so it never went to the dealer.

Pretty ballsy to try a rod at the dealer! hey if they will do it though then why not? I don't think I'd ever try internals. They did warranty my maf in the Vette because it was hard to tune with my weak one! Lol. Thought for sure they would laugh at me, but they just pulled a new one off the shelf and handed it to me! I borrowed a screw driver from one of the techs and swapped it in the parking lot. Then gave them the old one.

Now that I think about it, I was driving the Vette one day and it went into limp mode for no reson! Drove straight to the dealer since I was close and my code reader was at the house. Turned out to be a faulty throttle possion sensor. They changed that too no questions asked. I always keep a code reader in my cars now! Cheap one, but they work.

So how do you like the V? I seem to remember seeing one on here that was insane! Black weld rts wheels I think?

I remember back in the day an '87 Monte SS had gotten stolen from one of the customers at the dealer I was a Tech at (many moons ago it was still under warranty) when it got recovered it had a rod knock. They put a brick on the accelerator in the parking lot and waited till the rod went out the side. Took about 4 hours but it was spectacular. We then put a 350 short block in it instead of the 305.

I did the brake upgrade on my 1LE not the whole car upgrade. The brakes are spectacular. The wife might end up with a CTS (non V) lol I should save my stock SS brakes for it... hmmmmmm
Old 10-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
Deezee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I remember back in the day an '87 Monte SS had gotten stolen from one of the customers at the dealer I was a Tech at (many moons ago it was still under warranty) when it got recovered it had a rod knock. They put a brick on the accelerator in the parking lot and waited till the rod went out the side. Took about 4 hours but it was spectacular. We then put a 350 short block in it instead of the 305.

I did the brake upgrade on my 1LE not the whole car upgrade. The brakes are spectacular. The wife might end up with a CTS (non V) lol I should save my stock SS brakes for it... hmmmmmm
Lol that's nuts! 4hrs huh? Wow! Fun test though. That car reminds me of a talk we were having at work the other day about the Buick grand national TT. They had never even heard of it!?! I told them it was pretty much a Monte Carlo!

Yea I missread that. Thought you upgraded the brakes on your V!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #27
Firefighter

Quote:
Lol that's nuts! 4hrs huh? Wow! Fun test though. That car reminds me of a talk we were having at work the other day about the Buick grand national TT. They had never even heard of it!?! I told them it was pretty much a Monte Carlo!

Yea I missread that. Thought you upgraded the brakes on your V!

We had bets going all day... I was out about $50 when it was all over.