Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAntonius View Post
They seem in line with the lower side of what most people are pulling in on the L99 (which seems to range about 310-330 depending on the dyno and other factors)

I wouldn't say that kind of dyno pull would be indicative of a car that is losing 1.5-2 seconds to 60.

Edit: I mean the actual HP numbers. Analysis of the A/F mixture and curves is beyond my ability.
Even if his peak numbers are looking okay, he's lost a LOT of power under the curve for the first half of the rev band. That makes a big difference in acceleration, particularly in first gear.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
It does look a bit weird. Was there any tuning done from the 1st pull to the 3rd pull? If not, the first one may just be an anomally. Taking a look at my stock dyno (Manual though), my A/F doesn't go below 11.4 and not above 11.9 stock. I wonder if the A/F ratio is the norm for the automatic cars.

I do think that the 15% loss your dyno guy said is a bit optomistic though as it seems the norm for the manual cars is 15 - 16 % .. IF an auto is 17% that would put you around 330 hp at the wheels if it is a little more than 17% then it would be a bit lower. Yours appears to be around 21 - 22 % though ..

Keep us posted.

Crowley
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Different dynos and other considerations...but I was really surprised by the #'s...

here's my 'stock' dyno...keep in mind mine is the LS3, but I still wouldn't expect at 70+hp variance....

Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
What caused the 20 hp jump from first to third dyno pulls?

Seems low to me, I would take the first dyno run into the dealer and put up the big WTF?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Yeah man its a tad bit off..2nd and 3rd would be acceptable but your a/f is kinda wacked...wth happened with the 1st run?
1st run he said was him. He said a Standard is easier to do because of 4th gear in the auto is best gear or something like that. But in the standard it's more consistant........... hell I can't remember.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Different dynos and other considerations...but I was really surprised by the #'s...

here's my 'stock' dyno...keep in mind mine is the LS3, but I still wouldn't expect at 70+hp variance....
Wow thats a tremendous difference. Even if you subtract 26 HP to make up for the rating of 436 vs 400 youd get 356 HP, then a few % points for the AT, maybe 340.... Id assume the 26hp difference covers the fact the cam is less agressive....

I agree with MTron that if the power is dragging it could possibly affect how the transmission is operating as well and compound the issue.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #20
gpr

Drives: never fast enough
You need to have someone who has dyno'd a stock automatic camaro look at that and compare to what they have seen. I have done lots of dyno pulls but not a camaro so not sure how they react. The a/f does seem very rich but i have heard from the factory they are down in the high 11 range. Also how did they dyno the car? lock it in one gear hopefully, and the same gear for each pull.

I wouldn't worry about the numbers being low or high, but the big difference in numbers from the first to the second is bothersome. They should be fairly consistent, but if i had to guess something is going on making it run pig rich. This also can have adverse affects as one run it will run properly then the next poorly as you got beat by a v6. Also a dyno only shows what the engine is doing. The tranny could be reading something funny as well causing it to be slow. A scan tool while making these runs is necessary to see what is all going on at WOT. A very experienced tuner could help you track these issues down. I would suggest someone that does a lot of corvette tuning could log dyno run's, or runs on the street for you and give you a much better idea of what is going on.
gpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Watching very closely....

I wonder if the dealer could interpret the A/F numbers for us?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #22
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
97 degrees outside and 37% humidity? Have you considered fish gills? Your dyno numbers are fine.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
97 degrees outside and 37% humidity? Have you considered fish gills? Your dyno numbers are fine.
Just noticed that it showed the STD numbers.

irpq11 do you have access to the SAE numbers? It is a little easier to compare across different dynos (although still shouldn't be comparied). SAE numbers should correct to a higher number.

THanks,
Crowley
Old 07-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
KK2010SS
Budafinger

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
I am going out on a limb here but I think there might be a problem with the stock air filter. It’s a little late now, but it would have been interesting to see if removing the air filter made any difference on the dyno. Maybe it’s running rich because it can’t pull enough air. SilverTurtle and I tested the stock 2010 Camaro Fram filter with an air compressor and it flowed less air than his DIRTY Fram filter from a 2002 LS1. This would affect the A6 cars more because of less direct control over RPM’s… Just a thought.
2019 ZL1 Riverside Blue Metallic VIN #041
KK2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
What caused the 20 hp jump from first to third dyno pulls?

Seems low to me, I would take the first dyno run into the dealer and put up the big WTF?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
You need to have someone who has dyno'd a stock automatic camaro look at that and compare to what they have seen. I have done lots of dyno pulls but not a camaro so not sure how they react. The a/f does seem very rich but i have heard from the factory they are down in the high 11 range. Also how did they dyno the car? lock it in one gear hopefully, and the same gear for each pull.

I wouldn't worry about the numbers being low or high, but the big difference in numbers from the first to the second is bothersome. They should be fairly consistent, but if i had to guess something is going on making it run pig rich. This also can have adverse affects as one run it will run properly then the next poorly as you got beat by a v6. Also a dyno only shows what the engine is doing. The tranny could be reading something funny as well causing it to be slow. A scan tool while making these runs is necessary to see what is all going on at WOT. A very experienced tuner could help you track these issues down. I would suggest someone that does a lot of corvette tuning could log dyno run's, or runs on the street for you and give you a much better idea of what is going on.
This is a brand new car under warranty. I sure hate having to deal with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Watching very closely....

I wonder if the dealer could interpret the A/F numbers for us?
I've pretty much blew my wad as far as time to run around. I'm in doo doo now for being gone yesterday for a while and all this morning.

Quote:
What about the fuel mixture. It dipped BELOW 10 at one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Just noticed that it showed the STD numbers.

irpq11 do you have access to the SAE numbers? It is a little easier to compare across different dynos (although still shouldn't be comparied). SAE numbers should correct to a higher number.

THanks,
Crowley
My car has an STD?

Don't know what SAE numbers are.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #26
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

What about the fuel mixture. It dipped BELOW 10 at one point.
At this point, it doesn't matter. You cannot make power in shitty air. My engine builder would never dyno a motor in those conditions. Now that I think about it, he'll probably be reading this.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2010SS View Post
I am going out on a limb here but I think there might be a problem with the stock air filter. It’s a little late now, but it would have been interesting to see if removing the air filter made any difference on the dyno. Maybe it’s running rich because it can’t pull enough air. SilverTurtle and I tested the stock 2010 Camaro Fram filter with an air compressor and it flowed less air than his DIRTY Fram filter from a 2002 LS1. This would affect the A6 cars more because of less direct control over RPM’s… Just a thought.
He wanted to do that. Badly but I was running on borrowed time as it was. Wish I could do it again. Maybe I'll take the air filter off and drive it a few miles.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #28
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
At this point, it doesn't matter. You cannot make power in shitty air. My engine builder would never dyno a motor in those conditions. Now that I think about it, he'll probably be reading this.
Thank God you don't live in Texas then .. in the summer that is pretty much what you get ... LOL