Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #15
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
Shopping around,

JDP offers a "New" and "Used" PTB there the only site out there with this option. The "NEW" PTB also comes with a $$$ premimum charge.

My question is when I order from other Vendors that do not offer "NEW vs USED" are they really NEW PTB or Refurbished Cores other customers returned.

Is there a benefit of having a New vs Used
99% of the time vendors will give you a "used" core. There is really no benefit of the new core other than being able to say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
Sorry for being a DUNCE but Maybe Im missing something, So who is actually refurbishing the Core units JDP or VMAX.

Exzample: I order a NEW unit JDP ships becuase there a VMAX Vendor

I order a Used unit its a core sent back to JDP

Who actually refurbishes the cores JDP or VMAX?
VMAX does all the porting etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAries1 View Post
What kind of performance gain do you get from these? Maybe 5hp? Quicker throttle response?
The VMAX throttle body will make a big difference in throttle response as well as a 5-8hp and tq gain throughout the RPM range. Many people also say it gets rid of the "dead spot". It's not huge, but definitely noticeable and a good bang for the buck IMO.

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #16
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Typically around $150, but usually there is also a $150 core charge that is refunded once you return your stock TB.

I know people on this thread are claiming 4-6 and up to 12 RWHP.
to them I say SHOW ME THE DYNO SHEET, otherwise you are being a silly person and speaking nonsense.
The ported TB will greatly improve throttle response, but I have yet to see any RWHP gain from this mod alone
Refurbished TB is $150 + refundable $200 core charge through most vendors on this site - I know it is through Apex.

VMax claims 12-16 RWHP gains possible without a tune. More with. Their claim - not mine. My car's not been dyno'd.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Ignoring supposed HP increases, is this for sure going to better throttle response? Or is it just a "placebo effect"?

The VMAX description tries to really sell it to you hard with the "physics" of it all. Seems a little sketchy to me though. I feel like an empty hole is an empty hole, and changing it so you can only tell a difference under a microscope for this application is pointless. If they actually increase the diameter of the hole then that's another story. The description says that the blade is same size, so the hole has to be same size to then right?

This just all seems sketchy to me... someone please inform me of my ignorance!
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Many people also say it gets rid of the "dead spot".
It certainly did in my 2012 1LT. No doubt about it. Never notice a "dead spot" in my '13 1SS, but the throttle response is improved.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #19
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Throttle response will be increased.
Not just on a computer somewhere, you will see a noticeable gain.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
...someone please inform me of my ignorance!
Okay. You're ignorant!

Just kidding, man. The PTB made a significant difference in throttle response in my '12 1LT. That's all I can say.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #21
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
99% of the time vendors will give you a "used" core. There is really no benefit of the new core other than being able to say so.

VMAX does all the porting etc.

The VMAX throttle body will make a big difference in throttle response as well as a 5-8hp and tq gain throughout the RPM range. Many people also say it gets rid of the "dead spot". It's not huge, but definitely noticeable and a good bang for the buck IMO.

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Thanks Tyler....Grabbing Credit Card

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I've had mine for about a year now. I noticed right from the exchange better throttle response. This week I added a CAI and that really woke it up. Be sure on the V6 to disconnect the battery for a minimum of 30 minutes. It will speed up the computer learning process.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #23
mbowen89

Somebody said you can do this under hood? The battery positive rail just has one large cable running up to engine bay, and I can disconnect there?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #24
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Quote:
Ignoring supposed HP increases, is this for sure going to better throttle response? Or is it just a "placebo effect"?

The VMAX description tries to really sell it to you hard with the "physics" of it all. Seems a little sketchy to me though. I feel like an empty hole is an empty hole, and changing it so you can only tell a difference under a microscope for this application is pointless. If they actually increase the diameter of the hole then that's another story. The description says that the blade is same size, so the hole has to be same size to then right?

Not "supposed" watch the video above. It makes better power. Throttle response is more noticeable that a small hp gain though...
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #25
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Somebody said you can do this under hood? The battery positive rail just has one large cable running up to engine bay, and I can disconnect there?
I just removed the negative off the battery like the instructions said. It only took a few minutes.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #26
mbowen89

That will suck for me though, have to remove my sub, and spare tire, etc. Oh well
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:

Read this article about the development of this current Gen 4 LS3. Note how much effort the GM engineers put into shape and smoothness of air flow surfaces.

http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls3/
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #28
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
That will suck for me though, have to remove my sub, and spare tire, etc. Oh well
I was told you could do it under the hood and I was all set to do it, but at the last minute I decided to do it at the battery.