Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Slotted or cross drilled rotors

Why am I convinced that the SS/RS package had slotted or cross drilled rotors but all the pictures I see show regular rotors?
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
they dont come with them. I can tell you the slotted ones are not cheap to replace.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Fogey

I was wrong

Went to the Camaro build your own site and it shows regular rotors. OK folks, first mod I'd do is to get some crossed drilled rotors. This car screams for that, even it is "just cosmetic" which it isn't if you drive hard..
Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Fogey

Nards, you're right

But I have gotten good mileage on Brembo cross drilled. Pirelli P Zeros arn't cheap either. It's the price you pay for vanity and performance.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
well then you might as well go with cross drilled carbon ceramic rotors....lmao.

way too much!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
camaro67
Account Suspended

Drives: marina blue 67
why not research first then ask.get your car first.
camaro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
slotted and cross drilled rotors are of no benefit and nothing but a gimmic. Well unless you are running abspestos pads
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
I saw pictures of an SS with cross drilled rotors several months ago but I am sure it was a prototype.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
slotted and cross drilled rotors are of no benefit and nothing but a gimmic. Well unless you are running abspestos pads
WRONG. Cross drilled/slotted rotors do have a purpose. After replacing brake pads and especially during their brake in period, when they heat up so do their binding agents, causing them to release gasses. These gasses can cause the brake pads to lose contact with the rotor. The drilled holes/slots help to release these gasses as well as add some heat dissipation. Now like most aftermarket items these too are derived from race cars, but never the less do have a purpose or you would not see them on just about every type of race car/motorcycle.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
BOBSS
Outlaw

Drives: 2010SS
+ They're lighter and unsprung
BOBSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
WRONG. Cross drilled/slotted rotors do have a purpose. After replacing brake pads and especially during their brake in period, when they heat up so do their binding agents, causing them to release gasses. These gasses can cause the brake pads to lose contact with the rotor. The drilled holes/slots help to release these gasses as well as add some heat dissipation. Now like most aftermarket items these too are derived from race cars, but never the less do have a purpose or you would not see them on just about every type of race car/motorcycle.
There has already been one or two other threads about this same thing and it has been proven that this is incorrect with today's technology. The gasses are no longer a concern and never was a concern on passenger cars as passenger cars will never reach the point where the gasses would form and effect braking under normal use.

Today the only benefits that cross drilled/slotted rotors have over solid rotors is lightening your wallet with the premature cracking which leads to early replacement and using up your pads quicker so you have to replace them more often. But hey they do look good.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
There has already been one or two other threads about this same thing and it has been proven that this is incorrect with today's technology. The gasses are no longer a concern and never was a concern on passenger cars as passenger cars will never reach the point where the gasses would form and effect braking under normal use.

Today the only benefits that cross drilled/slotted rotors have over solid rotors is lightening your wallet with the premature cracking which leads to early replacement and using up your pads quicker so you have to replace them more often. But hey they do look good.
If you read my thread you know I said this technology is derived from racing not passenger cars. Now while I don't keep up on the daily workings of brake tech. I do keep up on trends. And as far as racing goes, Nascar, Indy, etc still use Slots or 1/4 moon type holes in their rotors. So I did a little research and found out that they don't do this for looks. These slots scrape the brake pads keeping them clean and stop glazing. Here’s an excerpt from Grassroots Racing;

Cutting thin slots across the face of the rotor can actually help to clean
the face of the brake pads over time, helping to reduce the glazing often found during high-speed use which can lower the coefficient of friction. While there may still be a small concern over creating stress risers in the face of the rotor, if the slots are shallow and cut properly, the trade-off appears to be worth the risk. (Have you looked at a NASCAR rotor lately?)

Since I have seen glazed brakes on passenger cars, it seems that there really is a use for these cool looking rotors.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
If you read my thread you know I said this technology is derived from racing not passenger cars. Now while I don't keep up on the daily workings of brake tech. I do keep up on trends. And as far as racing goes, Nascar, Indy, etc still use Slots or 1/4 moon type holes in their rotors. So I did a little research and found out that they don't do this for looks. These slots scrape the brake pads keeping them clean and stop glazing. Here’s an excerpt from Grassroots Racing;

Cutting thin slots across the face of the rotor can actually help to clean
the face of the brake pads over time, helping to reduce the glazing often found during high-speed use which can lower the coefficient of friction. While there may still be a small concern over creating stress risers in the face of the rotor, if the slots are shallow and cut properly, the trade-off appears to be worth the risk. (Have you looked at a NASCAR rotor lately?)

Since I have seen glazed brakes on passenger cars, it seems that there really is a use for these cool looking rotors.

I have no idea who is right, but if you would read his post he is saying the difference between Nascar and a Passenger car is that the vehicle doesn't break at high enough speeds to produce the gasses so having them on a passenger car is pointless. So, the entire rebuttal you just typed is not even countering his argument which clearly was your intention here, you may of even back peddled.

Just saying...
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
GM didn't put cross drilled rotors on the Z06 and ZR1 as a gimmick. They serve their purpose in a racing environment. On the street, however, you will probably not realize the benefits of them unless you run your car like you're at a road course. Which some folks do.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote