Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
My loaner car is a Chevy Volt while my Camaro is in the shop.

...and I kinda like it!

I've never driven a small car that wasn't a cheap small car, so I'm enjoying it. Nicely done interior, though I very much dislike the way they did the center console. There are no buttons, but a large touch sensitive surface with nubs on it. It picks up commands I'm not intending (when I touch the tuning dial, my finger brushes touch 'buttons' near by), or doesn't respond when I touch (takes several tries to turn off the heated seats).

I used up the battery in about 40 miles, and now I'm just running off of petrol. If I had a charging station near me, I'd check it out, though I'd imagine I'd have to leave the car there awhile.

Throttle response is smooth and immediate, like a video game, though as you give more throttle you don't exactly get more power. I can see how, with a lot more power (Tesla) these electric powertrains can be a lot of fun.

But, I do like feeling the vibration of a combustion engine under my foot. Even if it's the 3.6L V6, it's still feels more alive. This car feels very sterile. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the appealing vibration of a powerful combustion engine is erotic...while an electric car feels asexual.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Don't get too comfortable with it, it's about to change completely.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I always like when I get a loaner or rental that is different but interesting. I got a Prius one time, and found it a blast. I do not want to buy one, but for a day, it was an experience!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
You should see if you can get an mp3 of the chase scene from Bullitt and play it full blast through the stereo with the windows down in traffic.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
BEASSTING

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I was behind a Chevy SS in traffic the other day & for a split second thought...I bet that's fun to drive. The wife actually noticed the SS emblems before me & asked what it was, lol. I had forgot they made them actually, lol.
BEASSTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
...and I kinda like it!

I've never driven a small car that wasn't a cheap small car, so I'm enjoying it. Nicely done interior, though I very much dislike the way they did the center console. There are no buttons, but a large touch sensitive surface with nubs on it. It picks up commands I'm not intending (when I touch the tuning dial, my finger brushes touch 'buttons' near by), or doesn't respond when I touch (takes several tries to turn off the heated seats).

I used up the battery in about 40 miles, and now I'm just running off of petrol. If I had a charging station near me, I'd check it out, though I'd imagine I'd have to leave the car there awhile.

Throttle response is smooth and immediate, like a video game, though as you give more throttle you don't exactly get more power. I can see how, with a lot more power (Tesla) these electric powertrains can be a lot of fun.

But, I do like feeling the vibration of a combustion engine under my foot. Even if it's the 3.6L V6, it's still feels more alive. This car feels very sterile. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the appealing vibration of a powerful combustion engine is erotic...while an electric car feels asexual.
Go to a chevy dealer, they have charge stations there.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
I had a Chevy Sonic during my Camaros stay at the dealer, I didn't like it.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
You should see if you can get an mp3 of the chase scene from Bullitt and play it full blast through the stereo with the windows down in traffic.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
The wife has a 2014 and while it wouldn't be on my personal list of cars to buy, it is kinda fun to drive. The 0-30 is pretty decent...and I think the Bose stereo she has sounds better than my stupid Boston acoustic in my car.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
you need a charging station why??? You can plug it in to a normal outlet

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
I test drove one at Camaro Fest last year. I put about 5 miles on it, all in electric mode. It was very quiet and torquey. I was impressed with it, but I have no use for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
you need a charging station why??? You can plug it in to a normal outlet
I was thinking the same thing.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

....I can do that?

They gave me no run down on the vehicle before handing it off to me, and it's not something I researched. I saw in the menus of the car that there are two different (amp?) charging rates, which I'd imagine is the difference between a regular outlet charge and one of those specialty outlets at a higher amperage.

I don't even know if it has the cables to charge it.

Even if it did, I don't really have a way of doing it, unless I ran an extension cord out my dining room window, across a communal lawn, to my parking spot (townhouses). Though I would enjoy trying it out.

I was fascinated on my way to work by the digital display of the cars power flow. It shows when you are using the engine, using the battery, both, or it is charging the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
Don't get too comfortable with it, it's about to change completely.
I looked up what you are saying...and if they try and chop off $10k from this car by cutting down on expenses, then it would be a far less appealing car inside.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Don't panic...
I am sure that once you get your baby back, and take a really hot shower, and maybe scrub your whole body with some bleach, you will be able to wash that "Hippie" smell off...
Old 12-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
I looked up what you are saying...and if they try and chop off $10k from this car by cutting down on expenses, then it would be a far less appealing car inside.
The reduction in cost is coming from the reduction in battery technology costs. My guess is that you'll be able to get a base model for $10k cheaper, but an upgrade model won't be quite $10k cheaper. I've seen the renderings. It's going to be a head turner for sure. Makes the existing Volt look like a classic car.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote