Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #29
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I can't believe that so many people are even encountering the "skip shift". I have to accelerate PAINFULLY slowly to even get the thing to engage. If you accelerate at the rate of the average prius you'll never even see it.

People are gonna spaz out for hearing this but if you drive this car and constantly see the skip shift light then you probably were a better customer for the V6 Camaro. Why even get an SS if you're not going to use it?
Have you ever been in traffic (or a parking lot)? Due to the laws of physics, if you accelerate faster than the prius in front of you, collision is imminent, because 2 objects of matter cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

Therefore, you are stuck accelerating painfully slowly. Trust me, whenever skip shift tries to engage, there's someone (or something) in front of me.

You're right, that post did make me spaz out a bit

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #30
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
If I end up buying an SS, I think I'll ask the dealer to put in the eliminator before I take delivery
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #31
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkman View Post
Come on people....he was on a hill and had to put the clutch in to shift! the car is going to roll backwards until a gear is found and whether or not it stalled is not an issue either. If it would have been wet or ice on the ground, are you still going to say gun it to 19 mph? Skip shift sucks and actually could cause an accident during the hesitation to find the gear.
You put it in first you leave it there, you don't have to gun it.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #32
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Ignore the apologists, a handful on this forum seem obliged to defend every possible thing about the Camaro, no matter how ridiculous. I swear, if it was designed with a hole in the gas tank, there are some who will tell you to buy an electric car if you can't afford the cost for gas.

Skip Shift is unnecessary, awkward and potentially dangerous. I agree with you, not only should it be bypassed, GM should make it much easier to do so. I understand the politics behind the decision, but I don't understand why they didn't make the solution a simple fuse pull/replacement.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #33
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
wy didnt you stay in first?
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #34
BRKLYN
Account Suspended

Drives: 98 C-5, Chev/Venture, VTX1300
it happen's to the best of us. I'm alway's looking for hills in central Fl
BRKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
Ignore the apologists, a handful on this forum seem obliged to defend every possible thing about the Camaro, no matter how ridiculous. I swear, if it was designed with a hole in the gas tank, there are some who will tell you to buy an electric car if you can't afford the cost for gas.
This is really unnessasary. I guess the fact that many of us have NO issues with this feature is just a fluke. There is a reason we don't have issues with it, but I am done trying to explain it. If you need skip shift, then by all means, go get it.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #36
CPanther95

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
This is really unnessasary. I guess the fact that many of us have NO issues with this feature is just a fluke. There is a reason we don't have issues with it, but I am done trying to explain it. If you need skip shift, then by all means, go get it.
Many people don't use 6th gear at 65 mph either, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be an asinine "feature" if it prevented you from shifting into 6th until you hit 70 mph.

What if you couldn't disable traction control? How do you think some on here would respond if you tell them that the majority never need TC off and if you do, perhaps you should just change your driving habits?

So no, it isn't a fluke - it's a reflection of the obvious: Not everyone drives the same way, and not everyone shares the same road conditions and circumstances.

CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #37
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Yeah, would be a great idea if I A) Didn't give my wife whiplash or B) Tried to drive tame because my wife hates it when I drive like an animal. I shouldn't have to drive aggressive all the time to keep my wife and I safe.
You don't have to give anyone whiplash. You can still accelerate slowly, just let the revs climb a bit higher, and it will let you into 2nd.

I see your point, but I think it is easy to avoid skip-shift if it's necessary, and you have a $30 option to disable it altogether. I for one am glad it's there since it avoids the gas-guzzler tax.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #38
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Found this in the DIY seciton:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=Skip+shift

http://www.pfyc.com/p/VT6001/

EDIT: I heard that using the Skip Shift Eliminator doesn't stop the msg from coming on in the DIC. However if you tune it out then the msg won't show up either. So...if you plan on doing a tune make sure this is one of the things that goes.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #39
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Many people don't use 6th gear at 65 mph either, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be an asinine "feature" if it prevented you from shifting into 6th until you hit 70 mph.

What if you couldn't disable traction control? How do you think some on here would respond if you tell them that the majority never need TC off and if you do, perhaps you should just change your driving habits?
The two examples above don't exist and would never exist.

Quote:
So no, it isn't a fluke - it's a reflection of the obvious: Not everyone drives the same way, and not everyone shares the same road conditions and circumstances.
I agree, it is obviously a reflection of the way people drive. So, if you are having a problem, then change the way you deal with the skip shift, or get the eliminator.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #40
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BQIK View Post
You don't have to give anyone whiplash. You can still accelerate slowly, just let the revs climb a bit higher, and it will let you into 2nd.
Thank you.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #41
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
If I end up buying an SS, I think I'll ask the dealer to put in the eliminator before I take delivery
Not a good idea. It's the easiest change you'll ever make to your car, and you don't want to open the door to any warranty issues.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #42
respawn

Drives: 2010 Syn Green LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
People are gonna spaz out for hearing this but if you drive this car and constantly see the skip shift light then you probably were a better customer for the V6 Camaro. Why even get an SS if you're not going to use it?
So, is the skip shift only on the V8 camaro? Not on the manual V6?
respawn is offline   Reply With Quote