Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #785
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
How fast was Rob behind the wheel?
I was almost not let back on the track because they didnt want the CGM Camaro drifting the road course again.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #786
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Just wanted to clarify as well that GForce designs and fabs their own products besides the driveshafts. I beleive the same goes for DSS. I actually tested several different components for Chris at GForce from its development and he is still tweeking his designs and making improvements. All of these are top notch products and will withstand whatever you can throw at them. For companies like Lingenfelter, Hennessey, etc. you are always going to pay more for the name as they have put all the research into their components and sure you can always save money if you break down all the parts and shop them out individually to get the cheapest price but some people like the option to buy a complete kit that they can receive and install. Everyone has their own methods to shopping mods and no one should be criticized for the route they take as that is what they are comfortable with.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #787
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
I was almost not let back on the track because they didnt want the CGM Camaro drifting the road course again.
I think we found source of the heat
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #788
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
sure you can always save money if you break down all the parts and shop them out individually to get the cheapest price but some people like the option to buy a complete kit that they can receive and install. Everyone has their own methods to shopping mods and no one should be criticized for the route they take as that is what they are comfortable with.
agreed
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #789
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
I think we found source of the heat
right.. but that was only 1 event, a few laps.
they were repaired... and reinstalled.. happening again after 1k miles....

wait...

are you....... saying..

i think you are

I am as badass a driver as Rob Stout.....
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #790
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:

wait...

are you....... saying..

i think you are

I am as badass a driver as Rob Stout.....
too be determined..............
Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #791
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
right.. but that was only 1 event, a few laps.

they were repaired... and reinstalled.. happening again after 1k miles....

wait...

are you....... saying..

am I as badass a driver as Rob Stout.....
You said you were as fast as Rob, so I'll take your word for it

What are you running for suspension?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #792
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
It might just be the way I'm reading your posts, but you're kind of coming off like an ass. I posted last night before I left my office, and just got back on. I love Kyle's build thread, but can't live in here.

This wasn't a DSS VS Lingenfelter discussion. This is my friend Kyle's build thread. I was simply reminding him of his options.

I've never once claimed to be an expert, but like you I've learned over the last two years of watching my car being built. I research a lot, and purchase what I want. I may get other opinions, but don't let other people make my decisions for me. As Kyle can tell you, I'm also very good at getting deals on everything I buy.

It's very important to me that my disagreement matters to you, so I'll give you my points so we can get back to Kyle's build.

In your original post I disagreed with your assumption that I'd somehow purchased the 9.5" because it had a Lingenfelter sticker on it. I purchased it because I think it's the most solid rear end out there for our car. I have no loyalty to them, and completely understand that they don't build their components.

I also disagreed that just any good installer can go build this kit.

The center section was designed and built by American Axle, and it's my understanding that Lingenfelter has an exclusive with them for this housing, so Pete's Power Performance can't get them. The housing and center section (w/ gears) come as one unit. I liked the fact that this was custom designed for the Camaro, and wasn't a modified Ford piece.

The axles (and I'm sure the driveshaft) come from DSS. They are also custom built for the housing, and don't think they can be purchased directly from DSS.

I will probably end up making about 1000HP, but I also thought I was going to stop at exhaust. I wanted the most solid rear end I could find, and I still think this is it. If that cost me a few hundred more so be it.
Hold on there brother before we get off on the wrong foot and I get another moderator warning, as I don't like being called and ass so natural to come back hard with a response to that.

To start, you've got your facts all wrong. I don't know if it's intentional to back skate or if you're just too busy to re-read. I don't have time to stay on Kyle's thread all day either, however, I multi-taks between 4 separate computers while working (one is personal) so, because it is important to me as well that you understand my responses I'll take the time to repost what you dis-agreed on (originally). I do think you're mis-reading my response interpreting someone coming off as an ass but it sure isn't me.

>>Quote by DE<<
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
+1

Anything that says "Lingenfelter" on it is $$$. They make great stuff, but I can't justify the added expense. It's out of my league.
I believe DE was just saying rather get something else to save a few $$$.

>> This was my response.<<
"Especially when any good performance installer can put together an equal or better kit.

If I can't get what I want from one particular vendor I just have my installer work with me to plan the kit I want.
For example I may want a 9" or 9.5" housing, with 4.10+centre, strange pumpkin, and GForce 35spline axles, with a DSS driveshaft. Or different combination.

My understanding of the benefit of going with a 9" system is that it's the strongest most copied system that has the most customizations because there are so many compatible parts available for them.

I think a lot of people get stuck on vendor loyalties vs looking at requirements and getting better value for their money."

"Not sure how that's coming off as an ASS."

>> Back to current response, still very civilized<<
My response had nothing to do with your "specific" LPE kit, my point was if I could get a 9", 9.5" section or whatever else that is compatible and would hold-up to my power output, working with my "very capable" installer (perhaps the rest are not capable, I don't know I don't work with all the others; but I have very high regard for mine who I think is a genius in this field), and I could save some cash along the way using the same components used by other vendors or a custom system using parts by manufacturers those other vendors use to come up with a kit, then that would be the route I would go with "if" I could not get one system from a specific vendor that I specifically wanted for my vehicle.

You may think the 9.5" is the best out there for the SS, fair enough, I haven't seen or heard the verdict so I have no opinion right now, nor did I originally.

Also, perhaps you are correct in stating the 9.5" may in fact be a special piece licensed specifically to LPE for the SS, I have no clue about that as well, nor did I comment on that in my original post either.

However, what I do know for a fact is (according to expert opinion); The 9" rear is as I wrote earlier the most popular, copied, compatible, and customizable, and thus far proven the strongest rear used on these types of vehicles. Now with that said, there could be something else that could be stronger that is not currently hailed as such (perhaps the LPE 9.5" in your opinion), but nevertheless these are facts not opinions.

If you are satisfied with your (what you say is proprietary) LPE 9.5" system I have no issue with it or how much you paid for it, and perhaps I may even get one after the research is done, numbers are calculated and recommendation is made. As far as I'm concerned your SS looks like it's a beast just like mine so it's all good.

Really, I don't see the conflict or anything to disagree with in my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Just wanted to clarify as well that GForce designs and fabs their own products besides the driveshafts. I beleive the same goes for DSS. I actually tested several different components for Chris at GForce from its development and he is still tweeking his designs and making improvements. All of these are top notch products and will withstand whatever you can throw at them. For companies like Lingenfelter, Hennessey, etc. you are always going to pay more for the name as they have put all the research into their components and sure you can always save money if you break down all the parts and shop them out individually to get the cheapest price but some people like the option to buy a complete kit that they can receive and install. Everyone has their own methods to shopping mods and no one should be criticized for the route they take as that is what they are comfortable with.
Good facts. And, the only one that I've found that backs their product with a "lifetime" warranty is the one that hand "makes" their own diff.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #793
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I like ice cream.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #794
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
I like ice cream.
Me too
Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #795
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
You said you were as fast as Rob, so I'll take your word for it

What are you running for suspension?
Sway bars
1 inch lowering springs
Full Rear Bushing Kit
Toe Rods
Trailing Arms
Sub Frame connectors
Tunnel Brace

Quote:
I like ice cream.
what kind
Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #796
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
...I don't like being called and ass so natural to come back hard with a response to that.
Never called you an ass...even said maybe I was just reading your responses wrong.

Quote:
It might just be the way I'm reading your posts, but you're kind of coming off like an ass.
That statement had nothing to do with your original post. I just disagreed with the points you were trying to make.

The part I thought came off rude was the follow up. Maybe I just read something into it.

Quote:
Otherwise, your dis-agreement doesn't matter.
Quote:
I don't think Russ truly understands the auto industry or has a point otherwise he would have posted his point of view.
This is why I was going to just disagree and not go into detail. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have posted anything at all.

No harm, no foul.

Back to your regularly schedule program.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #797
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
I like ice cream.
Quote:
what kind
Blue Bell Cookies and Cream is the best!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #798
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Never called you an ass...even said maybe I was just reading your responses wrong.

That statement had nothing to do with your original post. I just disagreed with the points you were trying to make.

The part I thought came off rude was the follow up. Maybe I just read something into it.

This is why I was going to just disagree and not go into detail. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have posted anything at all.

No harm, no foul.

Back to your regularly schedule program.
I'm hear to learn / share and perhaps make a few friends along the way. Not trying to come off as an ASS in any way shape or form. A matter of fact I'm doing research on GM 9.5" rear. I think you may be onto something. It's a 14bolt system used on GM trucks. Probably, huge. Still not sure if's it's limited to LPE, however, could be they had a specific SS design spec'd out for them.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
427, camaro of the week, detroit, gilmour, texigan, the circle, the mother of all twins