Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
xdamxincx
Banned

Drives: zl1 blk
machine shop experience...

well folks im going to tell my tale of what i have learned for myself about the wonderful world of rebuilding an lsa motor.. ..
my car was more than midly modified making 690ish whp ... i had a lifter failure .. it took out the cam and ruined the lifter bore..pulled the motor sent it to the machine shop... i figured i might as well upgrade ...so i found a crank from a friend used $500 bux some carillo h beam rods open box new $500 and bought new wiseco pistons from sdpc for $700..new oil pump $160.arp main studs $345. bearings etc etc..all to build a forged shortblock 416 stroker.. .so the machine shop disassembled .. cleaned .. line honed the mains with the arp studs .. line hone cylinders with torque plates ...cnc square decked the block..install cam bearings... bored/installed 2 lifter bushings.. i also gave them the heads and cam to install and set up.. they cleaned heads deck the surface also dissambled and checked spring pressure etc....and then did full assembly...i
after getting the bill and adding up what i purchased to complete the shortblock i could of bought and lsx 416 forged short block from tsp for very close to what i spent repairing and rebuilding this lsa block ...so i am a little frustrated by this...i know the lsx block is heavier.. i know the lsa is a good block . but i would of been happier with an lsx block .. so just letting u guys know my experience... comment if u want .. thanks
xdamxincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
What was the total bill? Machine work is always expensive and it's hard to get an up front estimate when there is a damaged motor involved. The fact you gave them a full motor for disassembly, inspection and assembly contributed a big part. If they're a reputable shop and do good (sounds like they did everything they should have) work, you should be good. Just break in the motor per their recommendations (they should give you a spec sheet) and use what oil they tell you. I do my own tear downs and installs so that has helped me save $$$ in the past.

As for the lifter, my guess is the lifter turned in the lifter tray. I installed new heads a few years back and I found a couple of lifters that were loose and had play inside the tray. I was surprised considering the motor only have 17K miles on it at the time. I replaced the lifters and lifter trays and no issues so far.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
xdamxincx
Banned

Drives: zl1 blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
What was the total bill? Machine work is always expensive and it's hard to get an up front estimate when there is a damaged motor involved. The fact you gave them a full motor for disassembly, inspection and assembly contributed a big part. If they're a reputable shop and do good (sounds like they did everything they should have) work, you should be good. Just break in the motor per their recommendations (they should give you a spec sheet) and use what oil they tell you. I do my own tear downs and installs so that has helped me save $$$ in the past.

As for the lifter, my guess is the lifter turned in the lifter tray. I installed new heads a few years back and I found a couple of lifters that were loose and had play inside the tray. I was surprised considering the motor only have 17K miles on it at the time. I replaced the lifters and lifter trays and no issues so far.
the bill plus what i spent to get the rotating assembly was what i would of spent for a tsp lsx forged 416...my point is if your lookin at the route i took .. u might want to reconsider.
the motor had tie bar lifters.. all ls motors are very sensitive in the lifter/cam/main areas.. due to the fact of tight clearances from gm and some other mitigating issues as well...
im not a big fan of trusting a plastic tray to control my lifters from turning. its just another weak point .
xdamxincx is offline   Reply With Quote