Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Hopin The Fence, Partial Cat Del

So after considering deleting the smaller cats, I've decided to go for it and book an appointment. Monday morning is when they come off! From research I've come to the conclusion that no CEL will come from doing this. The end results are a slight HP gain 2-3hp on the v6 and a nice boost in exhaust volume as verified by scrming.

Stay tuned for my results. Fyi, I'm looking at $150 to do this. I was going to up the pipe size from 2.25 to 2.5" but I'm still looking for a donated pipe. A custom pipe at the shop would be $200, not worth it IMO.

EDIT: Scroll down to post #5 for the results...

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED

Last edited by DJ ATOMIX; 07-09-2012 at 12:11 PM.
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
So after considering deleting the smaller cats, I've decided to go for it and book an appointment. Monday morning is when they come off! From research I've come to the conclusion that no CEL will come from doing this. The end results are a slight HP gain 2-3hp on the v6 and a nice boost in exhaust volume as verified by scrming.

Stay tuned for my results. Fyi, I'm looking at $150 to do this. I was going to up the pipe size from 2.25 to 2.5" but I'm still looking for a donated pipe. A custom pipe at the shop would be $200, not worth it IMO.

Shaun
serious amounts of
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
serious amounts of
I know you were mentioning more rasp along with the volume. I hope this magnaflow Res xpipe countinues to amaze eliminating any potential rasp. As it stands I have near zero rasp.

Shaun

ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Ok its a done deal, the rear cats were deleted and the Camaro is substantially louder. The idle seems to be exactly the same volume as before. However, once you start accelerating, there is a deeper noticeable sound note with quite a bit more volume thats following through.

On the performance side, yes, there is a noticeable differance in my opinion. Inspecting the R cats in my hands, I cannot believe exhaust was capable of even making it through. Heck, water doesnt even wanna pour through when I tried pouring water through them. They are a huge bottleneck IMO. On the freeway, the Camaro has substantially more jive and this is demonstrated in the 35c temps were having today.

As for emisions tests, I will have to get that theory tested, not sure when thats gonna be. In all, the mod costed $150 but in my opinion was worth it.

FYI, I have not noticed any popping or hickups from downshifting like others are reporting. I'm not sure if the res xpipe has anything to do with that.

All in all, I'm now "more happy with my resonated xpipe" and I feel it finally produces near stock MRT 1.0 sound without any rasp at all.

Hmm... so whats next, I wonder if I can get 3" exhaust piping from the xpipe to the mufflers or maybe im going over board.

EDIT:: There is no CEL for anyone wondering. This is a CEL free cat mod..

Untill the next mod!

Shaun

Last edited by DJ ATOMIX; 07-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
So I'm assuming it didn't, but It didn't create any extra rasp along with the loudness? Or it may have and it just that your res x-pipe is keeping it at bay? Thanks for the write up!

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
One Sick Camaro
That Cam though...

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS 02 T/A WS6 15 SSV
hmm maybe doing this now too lol gotta ge the x pipe first will be redic too loud without it
Old 07-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
I Just got one of those X Pipe Mufflers on ebay for $75 b/o with free shipping.

Pm if you want the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Sick Camaro View Post
hmm maybe doing this now too lol gotta ge the x pipe first will be redic too loud without it
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
So I'm assuming it didn't, but It didn't create any extra rasp along with the loudness? Or it may have and it just that your res x-pipe is keeping it at bay? Thanks for the write up!
I think without that resonated xpipe, the rasp probally would have gotten out of control! But with that said, yes there is a increase in volume and alot more growl when you touch the peddle.

Again at idle, to me it sounds exactly the same as before. I'm not sure about cold starts thou, we'll have to stay tuned for that Nothing like a CEL free cat mod!!

Shaun

Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Sick Camaro View Post
Since you got the MRT 1.0 and res delete, when you add the res xpipe, it will sound like a completely differant car... You might be like what the hell is this but then you'll understand once you hit the peddle and there just isnt any rasp.

With that said, some people like rasp to a degree. This Cat del will give you more growl and volume, thats a given. I can almost garantee without the resonated xpipe, the rasp would probally be out of control from this mod.

Great combo IMO.

Shaun

Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Nytemare
Quick 6

Drives: 2010 camaro ls v6
Send a message via Yahoo to Nytemare
OK dumb moment, can someone link me a video containing a lot of "rasp" so I can hear it.. I have very good speakers. I love my exhaust sound right now and I really want to do this delete but wondering what the sound will be like while waiting on the res x pipe to get here? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
So, it's been a few days. How are you liking the rear cat delete? My extra set of cats are currently being hacked up! Kind of excited and scared at the same time! Don't want rasp but we will see what happens!

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
So, it's been a few days. How are you liking the rear cat delete? My extra set of cats are currently being hacked up! Kind of excited and scared at the same time! Don't want rasp but we will see what happens!
I love it! So glad I did it! I can notice the differance in power and the Camaro is quite a bit louder and deeper when accelerating. Also, I've now heard the cold start a few times and I must say, wow! soo much louder lol. The car is basically as loud as before the xpipe was installed but now there is zero rasp!

Diff worth the $150 the price I paid to have this done and I would recommend it to anyone.

My favourite combo so far is the shorty heads, no resonators, hpipe replaced with the res xpipe to kill rasp, then those rear cats deleted to get the volume back.

Shaun