Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
JKashat

Drives: 2007 GMC Yukon Denali
Still torn... Black or Cyber Grey?

I know this has been discussed before, but...

I have a Black on Black (no stripes), 2SS, RS, Sunroof, 6mt w/ Hurst & engine cover on order now but am still debating on changing it to CGM.

I have seen many pictures of Black 2010 Camaro's online, but V6 and V8, and I really think it looks hott. But, I have yet to see any CGM Camaro's anywhere. This is really starting to get to me. I have seen CGM on the both Corvette and the ZR-1 in person and really like it. I have always really like metallic colors and it seems to highlight every curve and crease in the body.

What if the CGM looks different on the Caramo vs. the 'vette and it doesn't look as good???

I kind of wish they offered a Metallic Black, but I won't get into that topic, lol.

I had a black '93 Z28 (LT1) in High School and have always wanted another one. I've only owned 2 black cars ('93 Z28 & '06 Lexus GS 430), and I loved they way they looked, when they were clean, shinny, and freshly waxed/polished.

I remember how much maintenance was required to keep it looking good.

Don't know that I will ever have the time to put THAT kind of TLC into another black car; I'm married now, lol.

Should I stick with the Black/Black or change to the Cyber Grey Metallic w/ Black Interior (and possibly add white Rally Stripes)?

Any thoughts or input would hopefully help me sleep at night...
JKashat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Go for CGM. I have had black vehicles and they are just too hard to keep looking nice. I have a storm gray vehicle now that reminds me a lot of CGM. It is much easier and looks great in the sun. Just my 2 cents.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I'm right there with you jkashat. I had it narrowed down to cgm and black until I saw a red camaro with black stripes two weeks ago, and then i saw the ibm camaro and now I got four color combos that i want. It's a good thing i'm not buying my car for a while, because this is going to be a hard choice for me to make..
Old 12-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
1. The fact that you've ordered a black on black, but are having second thoughts, may be reason enough to switch.

2. CGM will be easier to maintain that black, and maintenance seems to be a concern of yours.

3. If you change to CGM w/ black interior, and still want stripes, personally, I'd consider black stripes. (I have a rule of thumb that says more than two colors on a car is too "busy" looking - just my opinion .)

I hope that helps your decision?

Good luck
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Im getting the exact car you listed -sunroof.... yes Black is hard to
keep clean....but imo , when it is clean, nothing compares to it!!
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
I would probably say go with the CGM also. Since you have seen it in person, did you like the way it looked in different lighting? Cause that's what changed my mind about that color. Too plain looking when it's not in the sun. It kinda sounds like you've had your fill of caring for black cars anyway so that's another reason to make the switch to CGM.
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
IMHO - Keep your spouse and get CGM. My wifey's Jetta is black and is never clean; when it is, it isn't for long. Black looks great, but it also hides a lot of the curves in the sheetmetal, IMO, whereas I think the metal flake in the CGM will accentuate the curves and lines and, well, I just love (what looks like) that purdy blue pearl; GRR!!! Tough choice, but your car will look good either way

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
JKashat

Drives: 2007 GMC Yukon Denali
Moose-
I always wanted either a Black or Cortez Silver 69 SS RS but it's just not the right time for that in my life. I just got married in October, my Denali lease is up in March (perfect timing, huh?), and it'll be my only car for the time being. That's why I decided on the new Camaro. Best of both worlds, 69 styling cues and modern technology. Number 1, I want the Camaro to look bad ass. Number 2, I don't want to spend more time cleaning and polishing it than driving it and enjoying it. Number 3, I only considered the white Rally Stripes to have a template to outline for ghost painted stripes.

If I could get Cyber Grey with OEM Black Rally Stripes it would solve all my problems, lol.
Or, Black Metallic with Flat Black Rally Stripes! WOW!!!
JKashat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKashat View Post
Moose-
I always wanted either a Black or Cortez Silver 69 SS RS but it's just not the right time for that in my life. I just got married in October, my Denali lease is up in March (perfect timing, huh?), and it'll be my only car for the time being. That's why I decided on the new Camaro. Best of both worlds, 69 styling cues and modern technology.

Number 1, I want the Camaro to look bad ass.

Number 2, I don't want to spend more time cleaning and polishing it than driving it and enjoying it.

Number 3, I only considered the white Rally Stripes to have a template to outline for ghost painted stripes.
Whichever color you choose, your new Camaro will look badass.

And owning a black SS, I know how much work is involved...UGH! But I enjoy doing it believe it or not. Don't get a color which will drive you nuts and have you worrying all the time.

"ghost stripes"...
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i'm getting CGM for a few different reasons, and apparently so are half the people on here, it seems. i don't mind having the same color as a bunch of other cars, it'll blend in more & be easier to get away with a couple mph over. (not that i plan on driving crazy... there's WAY too many risks to do something that stupid) i just really love the color & hopefully it'll be just as good or better than on the corvettes. after detailing cars for a dealer - i know how much of a pain black is. that made me never want one. from what you've said about not wanting to take time from your family or driving just to keep it clean, i think CGM is the better bet
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by in a hurry View Post
Im getting the exact car you listed -sunroof.... yes Black is hard to
keep clean....but imo , when it is clean, nothing compares to it!!
DING!

I'm keeping my black on black. I was tempted by Imperial Blue, but I'm staying with black.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I'm down for the Victory red with black stripes to be painted on later, I had a '68 painted matador red with black stripes and loved it. Really, I was torn between the black and red and the rjt.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
just to make this decision really difficult for you. I currently have CGM as my choice but am debating if i should switch to black (i have orange seats). I have not seen CGM in person on anything other than a traverse but i will say there is a HUGE difference between the pictures that have been seen on here of the ZR1 and the traverse in CGM. the vette is very metallic while the traverse appears to be a base gray. Honestly you have plenty of time before your order will lock in and hopefully someone snaps a picture of the camaro in CGM so we can all see it.
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:48 AM   #14
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
I still love black, especially cruising around as the day turns into night! I will say this. I agree with the above post having seen the Cyber Gray on a Traverse. To me, it just didn't look anywhere near like it does on the Vette...base gray was a good description!

Once it became clear GM was going to make these Camaro's, I really thought I'd get a blue one. So far I like the Aqua, (but still need to see one in person) but I'm not thrilled with the Imperial Blue. I LOVE the dark blue aspect of it, but I swear whenever I see that color, I always see a reddish / purplish hue to the parts that aren't in the sun where the light isn't hitting it directly...and I HATE that!!! Dark blue should be darl blue everywhere!!!!!!!!

As far as Silver goes, I love it when it's new! As it gets older though, uh...no.

Of the louder colors, I think the Rally Yellow just might be the best of the bunch. For me, the problem with the louder colors is just that...they're loud...and I'm more of a stealthy kind of person. I will say this, the first time I ever flew, (it was in a turbo prop heading to Las Vegas) I remember looking down at the cars below me. The only ones that stood out were the red ones. Bottom line, I believe the loud colors are guaranteed to get you at least one ticket per year. And who needs that?

Now, after having said all this, I hope nobody gets black so I'll be the only guy driving one!!!!!!!! (In all honesty, these Camaro's will look great no matter what we choose...it's lines are too beautiful...it can't miss!)
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote