Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #99
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Well...I've driven a Caprice...and yes...that WAS a big car, too. I'd have labeled that a boat as well....then again, if we REEEEALLY want to be technical...the Caprice/Impala and Crown Vic/Grand Marquis aren't boats compared to a 2000 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel that I've driven. Extended cab...extended bed...with a 4 inch lift...36 inch tires...THAT is a boat...then again...that truck standing next to an actual boat...well, you know who wins that one We could keep going but then it's just a pissing match..wouldn't you say??

My point is this...it's about perspective, because as far as I know...the term "boat," in regards to cars, is not defined. Plus...I was about 9 when we had the Intrepid :P...it was HUGE to me!

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #100
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Not to mention my '69 Buick LeSabre 400...that things pretty big and does handle like a boat, but for some odd reason i love that feeling
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #101
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega94 View Post
My point is this...it's about perspective, because as far as I know...the term "boat," in regards to cars, is not defined. Plus...I was about 9 when we had the Intrepid :P...it was HUGE to me!
I'd have to agree with that notion... after driving my cavalier for just under a year my dad's 2000 Buick Century feels like a boat... it is all about perspective...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #102
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
boats come in all sizes too...... my Grandmother's 1991 Taurus - small boat
Dodge truck mentioned above - Titanic
Camaro - ? not a boat ?

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #103
Cyberstyx

Drives: Seat Leon 1.8 20VT
Send a message via MSN to Cyberstyx
Great pix! These angles sure make the car look imba idd.
Cyberstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #104
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
boats come in all sizes too...... my Grandmother's 1991 Taurus - small boat
Dodge truck mentioned above - Titanic
Camaro - ? not a boat ?
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #105
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
with all this discussion in this thread about the size of this car....which imo.... it looks pretty small.... dont you guys want your "muscle" cars to be "big"??

I never really thought of a muscle car being a "sporty" car ...rather a "muscle" car... catch my drift of what im saying? Or am i out of the loop completely, lol.

I sure hope this Camaro is close to being as big as the 4th gen... a little smaller is okay....but not too much smaller.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #106
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
with all this discussion in this thread about the size of this car....which imo.... it looks pretty small.... dont you guys want your "muscle" cars to be "big"??

I never really thought of a muscle car being a "sporty" car ...rather a "muscle" car... catch my drift of what im saying? Or am i out of the loop completely, lol.

I sure hope this Camaro is close to being as big as the 4th gen... a little smaller is okay....but not too much smaller.
I know what your saying. But I see the Camaro as being the most like a sports car of all the muscle cars, I classify Corvettes and Vipers as being sports cars. Camaros have had decent handling and brakes, not great but alot closer to sports cars than regular cars. And they have had a good power to weight ratio compared to other cars of the same time period.

A muscle car is all about brute force, the solution to any problem is add more power. They only need to turn well enough to get back to the staging area at the drag strip.

The Camaro won't look small - its wider than a 'vette. But it won't be a 2 ton boulevard bruiser.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #107
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

Actually, I kind of agree with your thoughts. Camaros, Mustangs, Challenger I always thought of as "pony cars" (since I grew up with them back in the day), the smallest car I thought of as a muscle car was a Chevelle SS. I think a lot of the size concerns you read here actually relate to wanting the weight to stay down rather than so much the physical size, many people relate physical size to weight, while that is true to some extent it can also be very misleading. I'm happy with what the physical size of the new Camaro is, I just hope they do keep the weight to a reasonable level.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #108
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Camaro won't look small - its wider than a 'vette. But it won't be a 2 ton boulevard bruiser.
..... Really, wow....in the midst of picking up all the facts i have about the Camaro5 .... I guess i missed that part about the camaro being wider than a vette.... was this confirmed?

If its vette sized (or close to it)... then, wow...these photo's sure are deceiving.

JAY
Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #109
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
..... Really, wow....in the midst of picking up all the facts i have about the Camaro5 .... I guess i missed that part about the camaro being wider than a vette.... was this confirmed?

If its vette sized (or close to it)... then, wow...these photo's sure are deceiving.
99% sure. we have this from the facts page:
Quote:
Coupe: L x W x H = 186.2 x 79.1 x 53.47 (inches)
Corvettes are 72.6. Even if the Camaro narrows by 6 inches, its still wider than a Corvette.

In this thread on that very subject, it is claimed that fbodfather has said it will be wider than the vette. http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=width

Lastly, look at the first picture in the first post of this thread. There is less space between the tires and the lines with the wheels straight than th Avenger has with its wheels turned.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #110
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
99% sure. we have this from the facts page:Corvettes are 72.6. Even if the Camaro narrows by 6 inches, its still wider than a Corvette.

In this thread on that very subject, it is claimed that fbodfather has said it will be wider than the vette. http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=width

Lastly, look at the first picture in the first post of this thread. There is less space between the tires and the lines with the wheels straight than th Avenger has with its wheels turned.
thats really cool...thanks for posting that up

Wider than a Vette.... that is not a small car... thats for sure. In which case, Im very happy about the size...lets just hope now that the weight comes in at 3500 pounds or less, LOL!<<<< Wishful thinking.

JAY