Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
To the guys with the phantom grills, are you getting pulled over?

Was considering a phantom grill for my black camaro, just wondering if any guys have gotten tickets yet for it?
ddavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
Madgiggler

Drives: 2SS RS
why would u get a ticket for it?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
ddavis
boostalicious

Because you are altering the way your headlights look to other cars on the road. I dont agree with it, but a quick google search pulled up random guys saying its illegal to put anything in front of your lights that might alter the light beam, even if the light still shines through ok. I was just interested in knowing if guys here have any experience with this or had troubles with it on there camaro's.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
racer778
Camaro Sold

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
phantom grille

I was pulled over for my taillights being too dark, he walked around to the front and said I am not supposed to be covering the headlights but he sent me on my way, I was in california at the time. In texas now and have yet (knock on wood) been pulled over for the grille. I have been pulled over for going a little fast but the sheriff never mentioned the grille.
Attached Images

racer778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
no sir, but then again in miami alot of people mod there car so there not too strict on what you do i.e tinted tail lights, tinted license cover, phantom grille etc.
I believe im the only one in miami w/ the phantom grille (camaro) if Im not mistaken and have had no problems. GOOD LUCK
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
stingrayj
QuandoOmniFlunkusMoritati

Drives: '06 Magnum R/T -to be '01 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer778 View Post
I was pulled over for my taillights being too dark, he walked around to the front and said I am not supposed to be covering the headlights but he sent me on my way, I was in california at the time. In texas now and have yet (knock on wood) been pulled over for the grille. I have been pulled over for going a little fast but the sheriff never mentioned the grille.
Well, of course you're not going to get pulled over with The Fallen watching your back!

Seriously, though, I was wondering about how legal this mod is. And does it block the light output at all? Very cool look!
stingrayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis View Post
Because you are altering the way your headlights look to other cars on the road. I dont agree with it, but a quick google search pulled up random guys saying its illegal to put anything in front of your lights that might alter the light beam, even if the light still shines through ok. I was just interested in knowing if guys here have any experience with this or had troubles with it on there camaro's.
it does not alter the way the light looks, if you are a car looking dead on you see the whole circle of the headlight and not horizontal lines. light photons regroup once the pass the grille,giving it the appearance that theres nothing in front of the light, its pretty cool
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
CiscoBee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro Rally Yellow 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer778 View Post
That is a GREAT picture of your car with that bird!!!!!
CiscoBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
henri26900

Drives: 2010
I knew a guy who got a ticket for his grille covering his head lights in the day time. The guy went to court and won. The judge told the police officer," my cars outside "C5 vette", you can't see my headlights during the day either, are you gonna give me a ticket? The judge waived the fine and told the police offer please don't waste my time with these silly tickets...

True Story, thought I'd share it.
henri26900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
ddavis
boostalicious

Yeh, i think I will chance it. Worse comes to worse i have to pull it off with a small ticket, small price to pay to be happy 8)
Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
firehawc_69

Drives: Rally yellow w/stripes 2LT
Send a message via Yahoo to firehawc_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrayj View Post
Well, of course you're not going to get pulled over with The Fallen watching your back!...
That'd be Jetfire.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
World of Wheels

Drives: 2SS Spaceship
photons? I've had my grille on for 6 months now, never been pulled over.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
It depends whether you get pulled over during day time or night. If day time, fight it and you will win. A lot of cars have pop-up headlights that are completely hidden until activated.

If you get pulled over at night and officer claims the obstruction negatively affects the normal function of the headlights...you could lose.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
motor1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/M6.....no longer
Quote:
Originally Posted by henri26900 View Post
I knew a guy who got a ticket for his grille covering his head lights in the day time. The guy went to court and won. The judge told the police officer," my cars outside "C5 vette", you can't see my headlights during the day either, are you gonna give me a ticket? The judge waived the fine and told the police offer please don't waste my time with these silly tickets...

True Story, thought I'd share it.
Thats very interesting, it could go either way depending on where you are. Some states require headlights to be on when it is raining, etc. And it is not reasonable to believe that the grille is removed after dark, hence the SPIRIT of the ticket. I guess it is all relative to the local/state laws and the officers testimony.....
motor1 is offline   Reply With Quote