Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
CaliDave

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to CaliDave
Go to a different dealership if you can get it done for free. I would make some calls
CaliDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
teecee

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
I would be tempted to update if it adds the guide lines to the backup camera
+1 for that as well.

I was able to order the navigation updates from Chevy HQ on a USB drive. It did take about an hour to update with the 2017 data. However there are still a lot of streets and POIs that have been around for decades that it does not recognize. And to think I have lifetime Garmin updates and an Android phone that uses current Google Maps but neither of those will interface into the MyLink display. :(
teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #17
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast4Mu View Post
heh...I have the 2014 and I didn't realize mine was missing the guidelines

How do I get them?
You send your silver box to Gen 5 for custom programming
Old 03-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #18
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Out of warranty 13 2SS, asked dealer about the upgrade, price was the same I think. He told me they have to pay GM for the update, so they couldn't do it for free. Dealer has been great, so I don't have any reason to doubt this. They even gave me a free state inspection for free... and not on my Camaro, on my wife's 2015 Explorer! Can't beat that!

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #19
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Did you ask for a system software update or a GPS NAV update? System software versions do not cost the dealer anything, just the time to do it. They do not get the GPS NAV updates for free, though- that software actually is provided by and belongs to Navteq.
An hour for a system update is reasonable. Some take 25 minutes, and I've seen some take well over an hour. Sometimes they fail and have to be done over, etc. If they'll agree to do it for an hour and stick to their quite even if something goes wrong- it's not a bad deal.
I don't know many companies who employ people who work for free, so of course they should charge for it.
As for the warranty comment- there has to be an issue to claim it under warranty. GM doesn't pay to update your software just because you want the latest revision number... but all they have to do is state on the repair order that it has intermittent glitches.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #20
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Is the update worth getting? I find the mylink nav is pretty bad, so I just use the phone. I won't bother with Constar. (hahaha autocorrect changed onstar to Constar). I don't see the value in the service. If the nav updates are solid it's worth getting updated. In cars past (older Audi) you had to buy expensive DVD's to load new software, hundreds of dollars. I just went aftermarket in that case. I would do the same in the Camaro but from what I've seen the install kits are problematic.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #21
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
When I managed a dealer, everyone always wanted the latest "updates" even when there was no problem. Usually the updates are not noticeably different at all. As for NAV updates, Navteq is the same provider as Audi/VW and probably 9/10's of the other factory NAV systems- so usually their map data is ok. I run a 6 year old Garmin and it seems just as good. Unless you are looking for a new road built in the last couple years, NAV updates don't usually offer much.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #22
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
When I managed a dealer, everyone always wanted the latest "updates" even when there was no problem. Usually the updates are not noticeably different at all. As for NAV updates, Navteq is the same provider as Audi/VW and probably 9/10's of the other factory NAV systems- so usually their map data is ok. I run a 6 year old Garmin and it seems just as good. Unless you are looking for a new road built in the last couple years, NAV updates don't usually offer much.
Makes sense.

Google maps is far more intelligent and accurate, so I'll keep using that. I live off of back roads, that have been here for many decades. The NAV unit in the car wants to take me on a very long bs route to get home (home has been here since the '90s). Without onstar, there is no traffic awareness so built in NAV is pretty useless.

Not that I need NAV to get home, but it's behavior in testing leaves me no faith in using it to plan the best route to new destinations. It works in a pinch.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote